don't click here

Sonic 1 Beta Remake

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by AbsoluteG, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Got a chance to try it, are you gonna add other differences which have been seen? Such as the red sparkle ball, long spring in marble zone, Falling tiles in marble zone.

Also according to this article: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Preview_-_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28Computer_%26_Video_Games,_1991%29" target="_blank">http://info.sonicretro.org/Preview_-_Sonic..._Games,_1991%29</a> the S montiors were functional and gave the player invincibility and speed shoes.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Reuploaded the wiki version with a fixed file.

3. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    Yes, actually by now the new spring is already added in MZ.

The red ball, I also have been considering adding, but I'm not quite sure how to get it to work like what you see in the video. A lot of animation could work, but I'd need more on how to add it.

Falling tiles in Labyrinth Zone? I never heard of them. Are you meaning the the ones from the Early MZ picture with sonic standing on them? If thats what you mean, Yes, as there will be an alternate level for that.

There are S monitors in the hack, one is hidden in SYZ (1st act), another hidden in the secret area of Labyrinth act 1.

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Great!. It would also be cool if you updated the hack with elements from that new Sonic 1 eta video with the pig badnicks in Green Hill Zone facing forward, etc.

5. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    [​IMG]

:P

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Hm, why is Sonic cyan-colored?

7. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    Since the dark sky is what we have, it's what you should continue recreating.

Though what I would really love to see would be a recreation of this *what nineko reposted in the next post*

though all of the art would have to be made by hand, except for the grass and the bricks.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Don't hotlink from sonic-cult, I doubt mistergambit will add Link raping Knuckles in the ass

edit: imageshack'd for you
    [​IMG]

9. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    OK, I just lost the fucking source code due to a hard drive failure....

for now the project is dead. :/

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    D:

How many good projects have been canceled because of hard drive failures? Make backups, people! The good thing is that when you lose all your data once, you become a backup paranoid afterwards, so you're not going to lose any of your future projects (I keep my important stuff in at least 5 places, including pendrives, CD-Rs, on at least 3 hard drives, and on my webspace).

That said... Quick, to the IDA-machine! Someone might be able to disassemble your own hack and retrieve the source code from there... After all I bet a lot of code can be compared to clean Sonic 1...

11. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    Well, actually ALL might not be lost...

I just remembered I had a source code of it from June 2009...

EDIT: The only thing that will have to be remade is the Beta Ballhog and Beta Green Hill Zone's Layout. the only thing that sucks is that I just added Alpha Marble Zone, to the hack only to have this happen....

Alpha GHZ was only to have one act anyways. as well as this...

thankfully I did find that there were two backups of the regular beta remake...and V0.06

That's how he was in some prototype screens

12. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Are you currently using the same drive that failed? Depending on how much data is on the drive now you may have a chance to recover the data from residual sectors. I used a program called Restorer2000 which recovered EVERYTHING that I lost on my drive. I have the program handy and I have the reg key for it if you wish to try it. depending on the Hard drive size it will take awhile to scan but it is well worth it in the end.

13. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    No, I'm using an alternate drive that came with the netbook I had, instead of the older, failed drive.

I'm not quite sure, as the drive itself is entirely dead. (clicking and shit). I don't know if it would work, unfortunately.

14. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Oh.. well shit the drive probably has a head crash then... yeah it most likely isn't going to work =\

15. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Too bad the hack is dead. I was looking forward to this fabled final revision.

16. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    Originally it was dead, but not anymore...

I managed to make decent progress now, so, it's not gone. just taking a little longer.

I had a feeling that would be the case.

EDIT: Will upload video of that GHZ level later...

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Glad to hear it! Losing progress is never fun, but it's great to hear that you're still going with it.

Best of luck!

18. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    A hard drive failure is not gonna kill my project. this has sort of happened before (was stupid enough to accidently delete my dissassemblies folder once, but stopped it in time to leave the critical files there. coincedently I have a build of the lost version.)

I did promise a video, so now... I'm gonna finally upload it...

Here

The music and level name is temporary.

I actually wanted to put a song from Dynamite Headdy for this level, but I don't have a clue on how to fix up a ported song from another SMPS game.

The level layout will be different and there will be alot more scenery once done. (Trees and rocks.)

Any crits are highly welcome.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Why is there a Spin Dash in a beta remake? o_O

20. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    That was just for fun really... (had it in there for a while)

I JUST removed it out of hack a day ago. the video was made before I did though, lol...

I'm actually gonna take this video down and replace it with a better, more updated one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.