don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's huge. I didn't think that it could be stretched that far. Mind ya this kind of techno politics is really not my field.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This is truly one of the coolest ideas turned into an actual game mod that I've seen. A+ job on this!

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Played to LZ2 through normal game. Sadly my SRAM got wiped, even though I already had 10 of the 13 emeralds (I really should directly click on the ROM while it's still in the archieve). It was the first game I played in a long time, where I honestly tried to get all emeralds though (the last one was Megamix v3 which is over a year ago).

What I played so far was amazing and at the same time not that special. I mean, sure, combining the two games into a single one is awesome, technically seen, as well as the gameplay. But it's basically the same two original games. The only difference I can see is that you can play with Tails as sidekick in S1 and play both Special Stages in both games.
    The Arena Mode however saved your rating from a 9/10. It was truly amazing to play all the levels with a given time limit (even though I don't really get how that ranking system works, I played GHZ2 with about 30 seconds left, but it still showed F when it was selected again).

So, my rating would be 9.5/10 (yes I know, no real difference compared to 9/10, but at least it's bigger), because it's technically totally awesome, the way you did everything awesome, the Arena Mode is awesome, just the basic idea is a bit lame, since it's basically just the two games combined into one.

4. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    played through the whole thing and loved it, the only thing I would change (besides fixing the bugs) would be removing 6 of the Emeralds. They way I would take care of that is by pulling a Sonic 3D. Have both types of Special Stages, and their normal ways of activating them, but only with 7 total Emeralds (yeah you'd have to make a 7th Sonic 1 Special Stage)

5. dsrb

dsrb

That makes the game(s) too easy, though, and removes the purpose of half of the rings/posts in them. And why would he have to make a seventh stage for the first game, if players could just use a Sonic 2 one instead?

6. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Great work here, gonna download and play. (:
    Now all we need is Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 and 3 & Knuckles.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Keep playing. You get a promotion after every fourth level.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Someone got S3&K down to something like 2 or 3MB by removing shared data iirc - though I can't remember where that damn thread is now. Assuming it's possible to chop a bit of space out of here (which it might!), it may well be feasibly possible to get ALL the games inside 1 4MB ROM.

9. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I really, really, love you, Sonic Retro. :) I just couldn't help laughing when I read these comments, as well as many previous ones in a similar vein. You're absolutely right: why should we be content with just stitching two games together? I neither expected not wanted a list of bland compliments, which may well have happened at any site but this one. I know I could have done more, and so do you. There are still outstanding bugs, at least three of which affect gameplay. Knuckles would have been great, and the palette adjustments were intended for him, not Super Sonic. Hidden Palace appeared on the level select screen for such a long time before I had to cut it. I had planned something a bit more exciting and different than Arena Mode, which I knocked together in about four days (although I'm quite pleased with how it turned out). And adding the other two games in the series seems like such a minor tweak now that I've come this far. But not quite yet. I'm sorry, but the work required to do this hack has left me quite tired, so barring some bug fixes, this will have to do for now. It really is just Sonic 1 and 2. :)

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That would be epic. Sonic Classic: the complete Saga

Maybe to cut out space in S3K you could remove bonus stages and make starposts entry into special stages like in Sonic 2

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm no oldbie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time we've been able to play as Sonic and Tails in Sonic 1? And what about Super Sonic in Sonic 1?

Awesome hack, BTW! :thumbsup: I love having both Special Stage entry methods (Giant Rings and Lamp Posts) active simultaneously, it feels like Sonic 3 (and the subsequent games) where there're Bonus Stages in addition to the Special Stages.

Sonic 2's engine handles quarter-curves differently, and also has the ground speedcap removed. It's amazing, but even minor engine modifications build up to huge differences in play. Remove the speedcap in Sonic 1 and watch the demos, you'll see what I mean. =P

12. dsrb

dsrb

I doubt that would save much space. Each bonus stage has only one map, so they probably don't take up much space, and how would changing the mode of entry make any difference?

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You can definitely get S3K <3MB by removing shared data, taking out Competition mode and Blue Sphere (obviously keeping the special stages as they were). I believe it's possible to get Sonic 1 <400KB, and Sonic 2 <700KB, by removing unused data, and in the case of Sonic 2, 2P VS mode, although these are just estimated figures.

Sonic 1 will have to be heavily edited, in a similar way to how it has been here, to run on S3K's engine. Sonic 2 will need some tweaking too, but it should allow for the physics engine to be dropped from both of those games, along with the universal sound effects and unneeded music.

I think that should be more than enough trimming to fit it into 4MB.

EDIT: Hell, now I want to try it.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Make up for the lack of hidden rings in Sonic 1 or 2.

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I hate to bring something else up, but playing as Tails alone, it's impossible to complete SBZ2. With the cutscene with the breakable floor, Tails doesn't go to SBZ3. He falls and actually wraps around to the ceiling, off screen. You can die by hitting into Robotnik, if you manage to get down to him (Which is possible), but it just loads SBZ2 again.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    There are plenty of places to add hidden rings to Sonic 1 and 2. In fact, sometimes when going through the levels I see places that were practically designed for them, but instead replaced with an extra life or a series of ring boxes (or both).

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is true I can think of some places to add rings in Marble Zone and Mystic Cave at the very least

18. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    ...at least four of which affect gameplay.

Thanks for spotting that. I'm surprised neither I nor anyone else had noticed it - seems like a bit of a schoolboy error!

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's because nobody plays as Tails, at least not in Sonic 2. :v:

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I could reach rank S a few times, but I can't seem to keep it for long. Apparently I'm awesome in certain levels, but I blatantly suck in other ones :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.