don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Fantastic hack. I'm only on Spring Yard 1, with 4 S1 emeralds and 4 S2 emeralds. Not too long until I get Super Sonic, then, eh? :P

Either way, great job porting over the S1 data over, and great job with the hack. I have no idea how you do it, honestly. :v:

3. dsrb

dsrb

Ahh, both games' Emeralds are available throughout either. That makes sense. Renders my previous suggestion (even) less valid, but still, what a challenge! Looking forward to getting a chance to trying it.

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Just finished! Colin, you are a fucking ninja mate!

I have a couple of suggestions though that aren't too gay or ridiculous.

1. A uniform boss theme and egg-o-matic throughout the game to give the whole experience a Sonic 3k feel to it.

Actually, that's it.

5. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I absolutely love this!!! I was actually wanting to do this. How exactly did you convert all the 256x256 tiles into 128x128 ones? Nevertheless, this is some very cool stuff you got there. I need to play this.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

This is pretty solid. Worth it's weight in gold just to have Sonic and Tails co op in Sonic 1 alone.

The pallette issues you mentioned seem small and well improvised for the most part. However I noticed the speed shoes glitch in Sonic 1 (where entering a special ring with one activated leads you to play Special Stage in fast speed) expands so the next level plays fast music too (though turns off if you get another fast shoes and wear it out).

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is fantastic.

If you put Knuckles in and got this on the Sega CD you would forever be a god

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I suppose since Knuckles was technically in Sonic 2 it may be ethical, I shouldn't exasperate ColinC10 for more stuff however.

Was versus mode deleted by the way? (my guess is the Sonic 1 levels took up a lot of memory).

9. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I'm just guessing that it would have been too much work making sprites work in 2P Mode, editing Levels to work for 2P mode, etc. As for the Sonic 1 levels - They shouldn't take up more than 500 KB - the size of a vanilla Sonic 1 ROM =P
    To be honest, I like arena mode much better.

10. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Ok, cool. And now that I've played through properly and completed it, I can give some proper opinions on it, instead of just a bug I found.
    The emerald system was a bit weird at first (I got all of the S2 emeralds by Marble 1, but still had tyo wait until SYZ2 to get all the S1 emeralds), but I adapted quite quickly and it works. The thing that most suprised me was finishing Marble 2 and getting the perfect bonus. I forgot about it and when it showed up I was like "Of course! I got all of the rings, so why shouldn't I get it?"
    I did see a few graphical oddities, like Marble Zone backgrounds mountains being misaligned (floating tops), animal explosions on Final Zone and Sonic's graphics flickering on the very odd occasion, but nothing game breaking. The music also messed up a few times; I'd come out of a starpost in a Sonic 1 level and the music would be playing the fast version (As if I had collected a Speed Up monitor). The only way I could fix it was to actually get a Speed Up monitor or die.
    Rolling down the Labyrinth 3 slide speeds you up and you can get stuck in a wall.
    All in all though, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it certainly is nice to play through them both together.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well hey! Now we won't get a million posts by new guys asking for this hack to be made anymore. :D

Brilliant work! I've wanted something like this for years, and it's a real trip to see it finally come to fruition. I'd kill to get a physical cart of this! You're certainly never one to disappoint. :)

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This hack is awesome and you should feel awesome. I've been playing this for the past hour or so. Too bad I suck at Special Stages.

+ - Now mix it with 3K and just rename the game to "Sonic the Hedgehog" so we could have the definitive video game :V  

13. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Colin, you're awesome. In the near decade I've been around this community, you are easily my favorite hacker for one reason. You get shit done.

Seriously, it's great. You show up, drop something awesome on us, and then you go back to your silence. You don't advertise what you "want" to do, you just do. Even better, the things you drop on us are things that people have wanted but, for whatever reason, never did.

Keep up the fanfuckingtastic job.

14. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Yes, I took 2P VS mode out. I hadn't made any changes to it, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort to make sure it still worked. It's probably still in there and functional, but I didn't want to disappoint people expecting improvements or new levels. If you want some split screen action, go back to the original!

Yeah, I know. This can happen in Spring Yard 2 and 3 as well. It's caused by the different physics somehow, and I'm not really sure what to do about it.

Thanks very much. I make the hacks that I want to play, so I figure there's no point in making a "work in progress" thread if nothing anyone says will change the direction of the hack. I also deliberately limit myself to the Hacking Contest deadline every year so that I'm forced to finish something to a "good enough" standard and don't work indefinitely on the same project. I'm very much a perfectionist, so if it wasn't for the Hacking Contest I probably still wouldn't have released Robotnik's Revenge.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I can't wait for next year :v:

16. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Shit, have I just set the bar too high for myself? :ssh:

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I don't know. If you're someone who wants to play cooler versions of S3&K, I imagine you'll be the first to really wow us with those games, too :P

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I've gotta say, man, every time the Hacking Contest rolls around, you surprise the community with a hack that no-one thought would be possible. We never know exactly what you're working on, but when you come around, there's always a completed hack with the Sonic Hacking Community's name on it. I'll check it out after class, but I was never good with the Genesis Sonic games :(

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    One more palette thing having played SBZ - the diamond shaped patterns in SBZ2/Final Zone's backgrounds no longer animate correctly - for some reason, even though the rotating palette still includes 3 colours as in the original, one shade of the pattern appears to have been redrawn using a solid black, which completely breaks the animation flow. Redrawing this to correctly only use the rotating pink colours would fix this completely.

Aside from that, no probs - caved in and messed around with the Level Select for a quick fix of Super Sonic in GHZ (though I'll knuckle down and continue my complete playthrough as soon as I can to earn all 13 emeralds properly) and it was awesome. I never got tired of running along as Super Sonic and seeing Buzz Bombers and Motobugs with all blue areas looking as they should rather than using Super Sonic's colours.

One thing - with so many palette issues that Super Sonic would cause corrected, how possible would it be to put Knuckles in this with little to no extra palette issues in the Sonic 1 portion? Not suggesting for a moment that you should if you don't want to, since it'd probably entail a lot of extra work and you've already done so much to this, but it would be cool to play as Knuckles in the mostly-palette-fixed Sonic 1 levels and still have things like blue Buzz Bombers/Moto bugs and the like...! = D

The only other thing I'd suggest is, as someone else already said, adding Super / Hyper differences (as in S3&K) depending on number of Emeralds could be a cool feature if you feel like it, though people would then probably end up asking if you were also going to implement Super Tails with all emeralds as well. Though to do either of those properly, you'd probably need to add a 7th Sonic 1 Special Stage for consistency. Anyway, at the end of the day it's your hack and is damn fun and impressive as-is, so if there's a suggestion you don't like... just ignore it! ; )

Many congrats, and keep up the good work!

20. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Since there has already been six-and-a-half trillion posts gushing with praise for you Colin, this is going to sound a little insincere. However, I think it would be unfair to deprive you of my precious compliments on the sole basis of me trying not to look like a dirty bandwagon jumper, so here we go anyway.

I, like everyone else on the planet (apparently), am a fan of all your work and I always know I'm in for something well executed and impressive whenever you make a release. I also like your style - you let the hacks do the talking and keep largely silent. I like that.

So there we are - congratulations and shit, yeah? Go bask in that soft, warm, glow of glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.