don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth

Well that could make some sense, but it still sucks that the superior versions of the classics are on mobile devices.

I just hope they do get released eventually.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    This would be nice, since it will be some time before I get an android tablet. I heard it has a + - corkscrew loop   at some point, so I'm glad it was left hidden in the final release.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Where have they said that? I'm gutted if this is the case.

4. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Just noticed, one of the updates fixed the island cutoff in the background of EHZ.

Nice :D

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    They didn't say that of course. That's why I used 'apparently'.

1 - Their port of Sonic CD is only on PCs because we didn't have one online before.

2 - It was Blit Software who made the port, as Taxman only has the connection with the 'mobile' branch.

3 - This is from a post from Stealth:
    Of course, the 'don't wan't' I meant is not a prohibition like I DON'T WANT YOU TO DO IT. But, still, Taxman has shown before that he had a PC version of Sonic CD ready when he made the console ports and SEGA chose other company to port the game from 360.

6. kagaku

kagaku

I captured a video of the special stage. Excuse the little bit of slowdown at the beginning, only happens during video capture it seems. Difficult stage, it doesn't tolerate any mistakes during the first two legs - unfortunately I didn't get the emerald.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wow, thats neat. I wonder if the 8th emerald is even possible to get?!

Thanks Sonicblur! Do you think you can do 1 as well? I can't seem to find it via searching.

8. upg

upg

Thank you Taxman + Stealth, great stuff.
    By the fans, for the fans!

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Skyler asked me for the loop points for that via PM this morning. Here those are:
    GreenHill.ogg LOOPSTART: 635970
    Marble.ogg LOOPSTART: 99380
    SpringYard.ogg LOOPSTART: 100712
    Labyrinth.ogg LOOPSTART: 84444
    Starlight.ogg LOOPSTART: 84364
    Invincibility.ogg LOOPSTART: 39528
    Final.ogg LOOPSTART: 84680
    Invincibility_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 30436
    GreenHill_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 502294
    Marble_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 79537
    SpringYard_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 81128
    Labyrinth_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 67538
    Starlight_F.ogg LOOPSTART: 67640
    You can obtain the ogg files yourself fairly easily. Just unzip the .ipa or .apk file depending on what mobile platform you have the game for, and use the appropriate extraction tool on the Data file. If you don't sync your devices to a PC for backup, it's fairly easy to locate the appropriate file online. (Since Sonic 1 is fully supported by an existing tool, I see no need to upload those files. The Sonic 2 stuff can be repeated as well, but it required the file list that I posted so it wasn't straightforward.)

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Of course it is. The requirements are just very tight, especially if you have both Sonic and Tails.

11. corneliab

corneliab

Any word if that pending iOS update will fix the Hidden Palace leaderboards?

Well yeah, of course it's possible. Like the other stages it's really not hard at all with just a little bit of practice. Completing it will stop checkpoint special stage warps from appearing though, and completing it with all 7 emeralds will make you unable to turn into Super Sonic for whatever reason.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    About the checkpoint issue... IDK off the top of my head why that is doing that.
    As for the other one, That's a simple one... provided it follows the original game logic, this is due to the game checking your number of emeralds itself... and to turn into Super Sonic, the number of emeralds MUST be 7. Cannot be more or less. A simple change to check if the number of emeralds >6 would fix this.

13. corneliab

corneliab

I don't really care about why it happens, but okay.

14. winterhell

winterhell

Its obviously a conspiracy to make me, the last person on Earth without a mobile device, to buy one. So far I'm resisting but its hard not to play Sonic.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I feel like the special stage physics are off. Really off, even for touchscreen controls.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Bluestacks + buy the game.

Is this hard people?

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Really? The only thing that I dislike about them is that you can't control you jump height. That, and the general trial-and-error design of them. But both of those are issues stemming form the original, not the remake. They control perfectly.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Dunno about other people, but bluestacks takes a lot of work to get installed on my computer, and even then it runs things pretty slow.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    To me, there are two issues I have. First, the movement... it's just not really relative to the slightly expanded width of the stage... so it feels like Sonic moves side to side a little slower than usual.

Second, it feels like the way that Sonic jumps off from certain angles... this also feels a tad off...

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Nah man, the original game's Special Stage code logic was written to compensate for the fact the CPU was chugging hard animating the chute frames on the fly. Fun fact, play the original game's Special Stage, and jump constantly. You'll notice the speed of the jump arc fluctuates depending on what the chute animation is doing, and how much is going on.

When I first put in the original movement values that Simon researched, the speed was ridiculously fast running at 60fps. It looked stupid and was impossible to control :v:/>

So we recorded and analysed a whole bunch of footage and worked out a satisfying ratio to scale the values back by, to achieve movement that was as close as reasonably possible. Using the debug mode's frame by frame feature wasn't accurate because it doesn't represent the slowdown that happens while it's actually running.

In the end, the only changes not based on scaling values were:
    - Making the jump arc a bit smaller and less floaty
    - Making Tails not switch Z places in single player to reduce ring loss tomfoolery