don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I've been having an issue with all of the Sonic remastered games running too fast on my android phone to the point of unplayability and google is failing to give me any help. Is there any way to limit the fps? I would really like to be able to play these games at normal speed!

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I -
    double clicked the "back" button

3. Pengi

Pengi

The Hidden Palace Zone boss is pretty impressive! Very creative idea - it feels like the kind of oddball contraption that could have come straight out of Sonic CD!

As for "Track 10", in the Sonic 1&2 CD soundtrack that was released a little while ago, Masa's Demo Version doesn't loop and fade out like all of the stage songs do, so I doubt it was ever intended as a Zone theme. The track they did go for was the better choice.

The extra bit in the ending is cool,
    but the Death Egg is waaay too big compared to Angel Island. The Eggman scene afterwards is perfect.

Does Super Sonic have any extra sprites in this release?

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... They made it loop and they assigned it to its level slot before the final version was built, so it was intended at the level theme at some point.

I don't think I've seen any.

5. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    It could be that, but honestly I think the main issue is the same issue I've always had with these special stages in that you don't get very much time to react to where rings are unless you have the layouts memorized, especially when going up a slope.

Its not a fault of the port, its just something that's always bugged me about these special stages.

On another note, I'm not sure if it was intentional but restarting a special stage will return you to the beginning of the stage you were on before attempting the special stage, and since it saves whenever you get an emerald its now possible to get all 7 emeralds before Emerald Hill 2.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You can also do this in the Genesis version. Get an emerald, reset the game, when you go back to the special stage you'll be in the next one.

I think it might have been deliberate, and is a nice little Easter Egg if so.

7. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    On the topic of the 2P races, do I need to sign up for a Google+ account for that, or what? Same with the achievments.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Google Play services require a Google+ account now, yeah. It's pretty annoying

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    By the way, the achievement text cuts off, so it's hard to see some of the objectives. What are the times needed to clear Boss Rush and Total Time Attack?

Also, the Metropolis one before unlocking makes it sound like you need to clear all of Metropolis without getting hurt, not just one act. I thought you two went insane.

10. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    [​IMG]

All you kids complaining about not being able to play this game on a TV needs to get on my level.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    For PC gamers to tinker with:

Bluestacks competitor with full open gl acceleration http://www.genymotion.com/

Google Play installer for use in blue stacks or anything else http://code.google.com/p/android-market-installer/

Native Android port for PC with ARM translation http://www.android-x86.org/

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I was wondering, do we have a debug code for this game yet, or is it just the extra menu in the level select? Also, just completed Death Egg (finally!) and I didn't expect to see what I saw.

Kudos, guys. For the third time in a row you've recreated a stellar Sonic experience, and even managed to take things to the next level completely with Hidden Palace. Really, really impressive. Something about HP's layout doesn't feel quite like the rest of the game. It's incredibly unique and classic feeling, but perhaps more adventurous than the classic levels feel now. Utterly fantastic. It only makes me want you and SEGA to team up for a whole new game in the future.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yep, the debug code is the same as it was in the level select of the original Sonic 2, same with the Emerald code.

And Hidden Palace overall does have a different vibe to it. It's a great level, but you can tell it's different. Still works though. Makes me wish all the more to see you guys make a full fledged game one day. Although I must admit I was somewhat disappointed not seeing the old part of the layout still present (that and no Tails 1up. Bummer)

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Cheers!

And the old layout is present (sans Tails monitor), but it's broken up around different parts of the stage. It's quite cool to think "oh I know this bit" and then see where it leads you to next.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually speaking of codes, does the level select code from Knuckles in Sonic 2 do anything for those of you with controller support (up up up down down down left right left right A Start)? Actually do any of the KiS2 codes do anything?

EDIT: Nope, the number codes don't do anything. Also, debug still works in the little movie before the credits XD

16. I really doubt I'm the first one to say this but I have to wonder why Hidden Palace Zone doesn't use the original music for it

The 2P stuff doesn't really fit the zone well. Everything else about it is genius though. It's everything I wanted from a mobile Sonic 2 (besides maybe Wood Zone and some others =P)

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I did! Hasn't been posted in many pages, so:

It's near the very end of that video.

Tons of the comments both on this video and on Reddit are complaining about them using the 2P Mystic Cave theme instead of track 10. But I have to agree with Tax and Stealth's decision. Track 10 just doesn't fit the level very well. I actually didn't even NOTICE until someone pointed it out, even after playing Hidden Palace a few times. Of course, over a decade of playing Sonic 2 Beta is probably part of the reason for that.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Depending on how far back in development you want to go, that (probably) WAS the original music for it.

19. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    What are you using? I don't see an Ouya, but I could probably get this running on my Ouya if it's on Android. Or is that the Ouya behind your speakers on the right?

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    May well be a PC connected to a television. Having a two-monitor setup with monitor #2 being my television has been my layout of choice for about five years now, and I could NEVER go back. You don't need to worry with streaming media like Netflix or YouTube through a console, you can play PC games while sitting on the couch... I honestly don't understand why it's not more widespread.