don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Oh neat, it's that time

Needless to say, for anyone who saw any of that stuff about me being busy lately, this is what I was talking about :P

It's been great working with Taxman on this so far, and considering his solo success with Sonic CD, it's an honor to be given the opportunity. You can believe we're doing what we can to give this the treatment it deserves

Yeah, that's my name. It's been around a bit, but I haven't had it prominently displayed until I publicized my old portfolio video, and when I updated my site a couple of weeks ago.

Also, thanks for the praise :P

Thank you, too :P

I'm sure I can speak for Taxman too in saying that we appreciate all of the support here

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Insta-buy. Android. PC. Mac. Whatever. Can't wait to get my hands on this! Stealth, Taxman, you guys rock socks.

So both S1 and S2 will be launching at the same time, or will 1 precede 2?

-- + - And, on a more desperate/hopeful note, is a Beta Mode for S2 a possibility? And is this a sign of things to come like, oh, say, Sonic 5? :3  

3. Falk

Falk

+1 for getting on the whole 'remastering' definition so I don't have to. :V That being said though, marketing jargon has always had a propensity to not be accurate, and I don't see the reason why they couldn't actually re-do the soundtracks, considering that all else being equal there really isn't a whole boatload of content in them from start to end. Even something as simple as rendering each layer/channel separately then doing a proper mixing pass on them so that it's not e.g. limited to hard left, hard right and hard center would do wonders in bringing out the music while staying true to its retro roots.

That being said I bet just because I said it, it's going to come back and bite me in the ass and we're going to officially get S1/2 Duck/Cat versions.

4. So you can let us know right, if these do well, you'll be brought back for Sonic 3 & Knuckles and then maybe some other stuff?

5. Falk

Falk

+1 for getting on the whole 'remastering' definition so I don't have to. :V That being said though, marketing jargon has always had a propensity to not be accurate, and I don't see the reason why they couldn't actually re-do the soundtracks, considering that all else being equal there really isn't a whole boatload of content in them from start to end. Even something as simple as rendering each layer/channel separately then doing a proper mixing pass on them so that it's not e.g. limited to hard left, hard right and hard center would do wonders in bringing out the music while staying true to its retro roots.

Although, I bet just because I said it, it's going to come back and bite me in the ass and we're going to officially get S1/2 Duck/Cat versions.

edit: And considering this is retro of all places, expect everything to get ripped apart and a dozen people providing their own 'remastered' (h3h3h3) replacement tracks anyway.

6. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    So... what is the release date? :ohdear:

Really looking forward to these. I know it's unlikely that we'll be seeing cut levels reintegrated given that Sega said no to new levels being implemented in CD, but damn I'd love to see that.

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.

8. Falk

Falk

So essentially I hit it right on the forehead.

Damn it hurts to be me.

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Basically, like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAcJFRGROSU

10. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I feel like it's wrong to continue on my fangame now... for so many reasons...[​IMG]

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    SO DOES THIS MEAN HPZ AS A SUPER SANIC CUTSCENE IS BACK? :specialed:

No, but seriously, if there's one change I think I'd love to see in Sonic 2's remaster, it's with one jump auto-triggering Super Sonic. If it can be changed to a double tap, that'd be outstanding.

There's also the usual bugs in both games (spike "bug" on off toggle? Jump+Super Sonic+End of stage before tally can start = screwed?) but I'm sure those are being tackled. :v:

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Super Sonic should be on a separate button, ala S4. And the Mystic Cave pit needs a seeing too. :P I've the utmost confidence in these regardless. They're going to be the definite versions of the game no doubt.

I really hope these ports make their way to PC and consoles. I'd buy them in a heart beat for all of the systems I own.

13. Yup. At least replace one triplet of spikes with a red spring or something, so that the pit is still there but it's not as lethal and annoying as it was in the Genesis original, also it hopefully is still close enough to the Genesis version that SEGA won't complain.

That being said, I also hope that it will be released on 3DS, maybe even Wii U, because I would love me some legit Sonic 1 and 2 to go that won't need their own GOAC system.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sope Taxman, what's the new level?

"Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog."

1. Green Hill Zone
    2. Marble Zone
    3. Spring Yard Zone
    4. Labyrinth Zone
    5. Star Light Zone
    6. Scrap Brain Zone
    I do doubt you're counting the Final Zone, since that was a glorified Scrap Brain boss (and fairly as well, since it was the final one), so we're missing a level from the list.

15. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Damn, so the remastered soundtrack is mostly the same as the original? I was hoping for SNES or CD quality music. Not sure if I'll buy the remake now. Unless something remarkable is added I might just watch youtube videos.

Edit: Is it too late to convince them to give the game a CD quality soundtrack The Taxman? High quality Genesis music is still Genesis music and I've heard the Sonic 1 Genesis music enough. Widescreen isn't enough of a change for me to really want to buy the game. Even if the remastered soundtrack were merely a selectable option that would be good enough for me.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No it doesn't.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Fantastic so no more cut outs in the music when you jump as you will have unlimited channels. By the way I hope you don't apply that to Sonic and Tails jumping sound around the same time. In Sonic 4 Episode 2 it was highly annoying to hear as it sounded like an FX delay was put on it. Seeing as you're doing some optimized DAW under the hood, it would be really sweet to actually have access to it with tools to add our own music and create loop points (and a possible tracker to play about with). I've always loved how S1SAGE2010 had the option to drop in your own tunes and even time stretched them beautifully when you collected the power sneakers, it something I would really like to do with these remakes.

18. dsrb

dsrb

I would like to strongly disagree with everything in this post. + - how unusual   Edit: OK, the bit about a selectable option is fair, but that's about it.

This isn't being made just for you. Some people, believe it or not, still won't have heard the music until now. Giving them a misleading impression of it, possibly made with infinitely more bland modern instruments, would be bad. Giving them the same music but with better mastering is good.

I was going to be posting that I really didn't want a re-instrumented OST until I saw confirmation that it wouldn't happen.

Thanks, Taxman and Stealth! All your work on understanding these games and porting them was already awesome, but it's good to see it happening in a profitable capacity now. :P Shame I don't have any modern iDevice, though :/

Also, obviously, looking forward to seeing what emerges in the future, especially if dem pyramidquotes by all the staff are anything to go by.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I'd definitely buy these if I had an Android or iOS device, only got a PC here so if these ever get published on Steam, I'll throw my money on them.

Good to see Stealth and The Taxman working on these, you can be sure that you'll get a good offering compared to some other contractors working on Sonic games.