don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    If they were to sneak in Knuckles as an update, he would need a bunch of new sprites first. I was quite surprised to see how Tails had a few entirely new animations drawn for certain actions unique to Sonic CD.

And to whoever did Tails' special stage sprites, I barely handled that much cute! He looks so happy.

2. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Wasn't that Chimpo ?

3. ELS

ELS

I can't wait to get these on PC someday. I don't have a great phone and even if I did who wants to play this on a phone?

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

As much as I dislike mobile gaming, the touch controls on these ports are surprisingly good. They're much better designed to respond to the players grip of the device and how they'll move their fingers around than the previous versions and Sonic 4, which make finer movements abs changing direction a real struggle.

5. Felik

Felik

Actually I noticed that classic sonic games are surprisingly generally work pretty well with touch controls. I have no problem playing original trilogy on the emulator but whenever I try to play Gunstar Heroes or Mean Bean machine or god forbid Ristar it's a torture.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've only ever played official releases. Frankly, the pseudo D-pad used on the original versions and in S4 is an absolute nightmare. I constantly end up hitting up or down when I only want to hit left or right, and the pad itself is on a fixed position that doesn't centre to your finger when lifted from the screen.

7. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I have to agree here. I had four hours to kill on a plane flight so booted up both Sonic 2 and Sonic CD and the touch controls were a nightmare. They really reduce your enjoyment of the game because they're not that intuitive or responsive. Would love to see console/PC releases of these games one day.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's too bad they never made a sequel to the Xperia Play. That phone was just perfect for these games (as it has a built in sliding Playstation Controller). But the phone is very dated.

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I was going to mention this since I know that you have one. That phone is perfect for this type of game but as you say it's very dated now.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Actually it is my current phone. :v:/> And I added a long life battery to it which makes it 1-inch thicker. It looks massive and a few people have audibly gasped when they see it.

On the XDA forums, someone managed to port Android Lollipop to it. It apparently speeds it up and makes as good as a modern day budget phone. Unfortunately, the control pad stops working, which defeats the point...

Ironically, its tiny memory meant I had to get rid of Sonic CD & Sonic 1.

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I recently picked up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400934143350?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seems to work fine on the Moto X Pure. Side note, I also set up OneDrive to sync my Retroarch saves automatically, so it's really easy to switch from my PC to my phone.

12. ELS

ELS

A. I doubt it. I really doubt it's just as good.

B. I don't want to hunch over my phone for that long. I want to sit back and play it with buttons on a bigger screen.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nobody said "just as good". A physical controller will always be far superior to touch screens. But when push comes to shove, there's a right way and a wrong way for touch screen controls to work. And S1/2/CD get it right. I'm only arguing that the games are worth playing on mobile when there's no other alternative.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Completely agreed. The simplicity of the control scheme lends itself really well to touch controls. I remember being really surprised when I was setting some of my best-ever Time Attacks in Sonic CD, back when it came out.

15. Deef

Deef

Eh.... I played the classics with all 3 jump buttons. The touchscreen version kills me.

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    They're good controls for a mobile game - the best that probably could have been implemented - but nothing beats actual tactile feedback and real controls.

17. You can always buy an Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield TV or Apple TV to play Sonic 1, 2 and CD with a controller and on the big screen. Why are people always complaining about touch controls when they can easily play them with physical controls?

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think it's just because those are remote and outlier devices that not a lot people have. Most people just have their phones and not much else.

19. ELS

ELS

I guess I'm asking if they ever gave a good reason they never came out anywhere else.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The Nintendo exclusivity deal prevented them from releasing Sonic games on anything but Nintendo platforms for its duration, with mobiles being a lone exception to that rule. Lost World got an eventual PC release after the deal expired, so by that principle I would imagine that S1 and S2 aren't off the cards either unless there's something else that we're missing. Maybe after Mania?