don't click here

Sonic 1 32x / Sonic32

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by drx, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, it's 320x224. The blue lines are cos the emulator window is 320x240, and so the display is letterboxed.

2. Moogle!

Moogle!

No, it'll do this on a TV too, it's just no normally visible. Those lines will change color too, from light blue on GHZ, Dark blue on MZ, Purple on SYZ, ect.

3. It's called the overscan area, and the colour displayed in it is the backdrop colour. Sonic 1 sets the backdrop colour to colour 0 of the 3rd palette line, so since this colour changes from level to level so does the colour displayed in the overscan area. The actual display area is 320x224, though.

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I believe Stealth made such a port, much akin to his S1GBA port. Might be on the wiki somewhere.

5. Sonic for MegaCD

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The mode to me seems designed mostly for the sake of creating something like the animated sequences in Sonic CD. I would guess, though, that they could easily take up a lot of space in the ROM.

Still, it would be an interesting mode to use for a special stage.

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    The full color mode graphics take 2 times as much space as pallete-based graphics (each pixel is 2 bytes as opposed to 1 byte).

But I bet they nicely compress with a modified version of PNG or something similar.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, for resolution issues just make the border black, like Sonic 3 & Knuckles does in PAL:

Top of frame starts
    [​IMG]
    Bottom of frame ends

Makes it look like a widescreen movie on a 4:3 TV, so not jarring. It's not like the random-colours that S1/2 do.

EDIT: CURSE YOU THIS POST FOR BEING ON THE BLACK BG OF THE SKIN D:

9. Flygon

Flygon

Actually, it looks Olive to me.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I'm guessing that he's using a different number of posts per page.

And for the massive increase in colors, 20 vertical pixels is a small price to pay.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Interesting stuff. Are you going to add extra content like spindash, or just enhanced existing content?

12. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Haha, I can see it now, nothing but good can came out of this! Having the extra processing power should be able to allow more moving objects on the screen without the lag? Great to hear about the ability to put in real WAV like music to, I guess that'll be great for when making remixes of old school game music combined with other instruments. :argh:

13. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I don't know yet. This might be a good idea, but only if you can opt out (SPINDASH EQU 0).

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The latest releases don't work well on real HW, the Sonic1.32X just crashes and has input issues, and Sonic32.32X locks up on the Sega logo, and no PWM.

and Qsound is not part of 32X (or MCD) hardware, its just a method of (pre)processing the wave data...

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    This is because MD code requests acknowledgement of commands issued to the SH2. If I removed this, it would play normally, just without PWM. But since it's a 32x ROM, what's the point anyway :P I hope to fix this later but I don't have a 32x unfortunately.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I assumed TmEE meant he played it on a 32x with a tototek cart or similar?

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Thanks for postsing the source man! This will be a great base for future hacks.

18. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
  19. That Flashcart is pretty hot :(

20. Sonic 1 on the 32x, I'm looking forward to see what people can acheive with the assistance of the extra hardware within the 32x.

Also, that flashcart is pretty good, any chance of schematics? I'd be interested in building one of these myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.