don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, 3K, ReadySonic Casual Editions

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hayate, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    So hey, I was stupidly sick and bored, so I set out to do some very simple Sonic hacking to pass the time... and, I've always wanted a version of Sonic games that don't make you lose progress when you get hit, cause I suck.

So here you go. Full changelog:

Bugs (I.e. stuff I realize is broken, and too lazy to fix):

I was thinking of making the 1-up monitors give you 50 or 100 rings instead of doing nothing but I felt I wanted to keep everything apart from what I set out to change as close to the original games as possible, and assigning some arbitrary number doesn't really fit with that goal.

Probably took me about 4 hours yesterday to do S1 and ReadySonic, and another 4 hours today to do S2 and S3K.

download here

ReadySonic config file I used (comments removed for brevity, download ReadySonic yourself if you don't know what they mean):

I will post source if enough people care (and diffs if moreso)

2. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I love the idea of a casual edition. Sometimes, it's just annoying to hear the same music starting over (my son loses infinite lives over and over), so perhaps you could make the music also not restart on death? =P
    Might I suggest perhaps making the Super/Hyper themes optional? I'm sure there's people don't enjoy hearing it instead of stage music. My Aims when in a casual play normally involve getting emeralds as quick as possible, but staying away from super so as to not ruin the experience by listening to SS's theme for the rest of the game.

3. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    This is already done.

That would be first of a long line of preferences...

4. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    The only thing it needs extra, as well, is a chill, jazz remixed soundtrack. :P

Nice ideas for a change of pace in these games, although a ReadySonic version is a surprising addition.

5. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    So like you to say that! and I'd agree, were it not for my extensive association with the music that's already there.

If you'd like to do a music hack with the same idea, though, feel free :)

The original reason I did ReadySonic is because I've gone through implementing spindash and all those bugfixes several times before and it just doesn't feel right to play without them, even when testing a hack.