don't click here

Sonic 06

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Fuzedknight, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I have played Sonic 06 for a long time now and have really enjoyed the game (pretty sure im alone on this one though). I played it enough to get S rank on every mission and side mission and frankly I don't see anything really wrong with it. Infact I really loved alot of the ending parts of Sonic levels with the outrageously high speed that led to a certain amount of difficulty. It just seemed so much more different then the rest of the 3D Soinc games. Although the storyline isn't that bad I must admit the ending was a bit silly. So I ask you the Sonic community, why is Sonic 06 hated so much? I have read countless posts bashing the game and I would like to know why.

Is it because of the terribly long loading screens? The cheap deaths? The boring side-missions? The whacky storyline? The bad camera that got you killed sometimes? How rediculous the intro for Silver was? The broken game physics?

I wish to discuss this with some of you but please don't give me list responses. Tell me one thing you didn't like about the game and backup your statement. Or in the event that you actually enjoyed the game like me, tell me how come you enjoyed it instead of dislike or what kind of element from Sonic 06 that you wished were in later games. Myself I wish they included the crazy speeds areas at the end of levels as Sonic were in later games.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If you're honestly asking, then I can't see this going very far. It's an incomplete game with a story and atmosphere that go far beyond what almost everyone in the fandom wants to see. Enjoying the game is one thing, but being blind to the indisputable faults is another.

3. That pretty much sums it up right there.

It wasn't a BAD game, I think it's generally agreed that if SEGA didn't try to meet deadlines with it (a mistake they've been making for YEARS) they would've put out a great Sonic game. It was a return to form, a return to the Sonic Adventure style, yet it was almost entirely focused on sonic's gameplay, with silver and shadow having similar but different gameplay styles.

As for what's wrong with it? For me, I worked at blockbuster and rented it one day and I got VERY angry at the loading screens, but then I got to the first level, enjoyed it, said "why's this game so bad?" and then I got to that second level where you can't control Sonic's speed, he's just running and you have to dodge obstacles, and I game over'd so many times because if you touch ANYTHING you're way past dead. I had my brother play it, same thing, I had my friend Pete play it, same thing. I honestly didnt think there was a level past that part. I brought it back to my job and then someone rented it THAT day, I didn't dissuade him since he had the unlimited rental plan and wasn't wasting money on it, next day he brought it back and I asked him if he made it past that second level. He said that's why he brought it back.

4. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    To be completely honest that is what I liked most about the game, the ballbusting difficulty that kept me coming back for more, and yes Blue Blood this is a honest question.

Edit: Unfortunately I wont be able to respond as much as I like due to the limited posting but I still am interested in everyones opinions.

Edit 2: Then again most of the difficulty came from outrageous glitches however I still enjoyed it.

5. Graxer

Graxer

Yes, all of them. (apart from the two I scored out). Also:

*The scripted moments during which you died if you didn't enter the scripted area dead-center. (Like when you randomly shot out of the side of a scripted loop and died.

*The story also seemed miserable and boring for a Sonic storyline. I even find Sonic Adventure 2's dark and last stories to be very cheery in comparison, there was no sign that it was a children's Videogame series.

*The slow speed in all areas apart from the Mach Speed areas. Tails was horrendous to play as he moved ridiculously slow and the only way you could make it bearable was by jumping and flying continuously.

*Backtracking in Shadow levels to open the next area. (I think the level which most bugged me was called "White Acropols")

*Vehicles in Shadow levels. What is the point?

*Rubbish snowboarding physics and controls, even compared so Sonic Adventure.

*Silver's gameplay. I don't want to pick things up using powers and throw them at enemies or build paths. This isn't Lego Star Wars.

*Carrying Elise!

*Adventure fields that can only be described as dead.

*Boring humans!

*Terrible version of Eggman who lost all the fun of his character. (And was downright hideous!) Eggman should be how he is in Sonic Unleashed & Colors.

*Knocking billiard balls around a level!

I have never played any other game as bad as Sonic 06 before, and hopefully never will again. (I didn't get it until a couple of years ago and I thought people were exagerating about how bad it was).

Blaze's gameplay seemed the best in the whole game. She only got one level though!

I am really reluctant to try to get S-Ranks in the game as the challenge is to fight the bugs!

6. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Even though how much I love that game to death I would have to agree on the things I didnt slash out.

Yes I remember at the end of Wave Ocean if you didnt get in the loop just right you would go flying out and die. As well as many other examples.

In all honestly the only slow speed I REALLY noticed was Silvers gameplay rather then that I felt Tails moved at a decent speed.

I also agree that without Silver the game would be much better off, not gonna lie I enjoyed his levels a little but the whole waiting for enemies to attack fighting was not fun at all. Nor was the whole puzzle thing that you had to figure out as Silver. Even the billiards-like gauntlet was rediculous.

In my opinion the adventure fields werent THAT bad, I mean yea the side missions kind of sucked but they still gave a certain addition to the game, that was one of the things I didnt like about Sonic Adventure, was the fact that besides main storyline they felt very empty besides the oddly hidden emblems.

Edit:

I agree on this as well, the vehicles were tough to control and had very little point to them.

I happen to like Eggman in Sonic 06, he seemed alot more serious and realistic although again my opinion is flawed as I have not had the chance to play Unleashed or Colors.

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I didn't care for this, but another thing was that whole Elise kissing Sonic scene that pretty much pissed off a lot of people, even claiming to be considered bestiality. I believe SEGA was even questioned about it. Have people forgotten what Bestiality means or they probably don't know? Kissing an animal is not it.

One thing I didn't enjoy was the fights with Silver. The fact he can pick you up even while in your invincible state (long enough to come out of it) and kill you right on the spot is a problem. Sometimes he'll toss you and grab you as soon as you hit the ground, giving you no chance to do anything else. Real problematic.

But other than that, I didn't have too much trouble with the game. Everything else was not-so-bad, but could be a whole lot better.

8. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I heard all the fuss about that, and honestly I didnt see it being too big of a problem, but ofcourse like with alot of Sonic fans the gates of anger opened and QQ spread like wildfire but I still sit here going, whats the big deal? ya its just a kiss in an animated game, not something to get so upset about.

9. Jay T.

Jay T.

Well, hey, at least Sonic got a kiss from someone...XP
    I mean, Mario has been kissed by a Princess (which is good), a male Koopa (by accident), a meesed up male human (again, by accident), a female Bob-Omb (I think. I can't remember that scene), a female Goomba, and a female Wind Spirit. If people want to scream beastiality, scream it to Nintnedo.

...I'm just kidding, of course.

10. Felik

Felik

I'm not sure that this whole bestiality thing came out solely from that kiss. Elise DID in fact fall in love with Sonic (even though Sonic didn't even in the slightest).

11. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Please try to stay on topic, I don't want the topic to derail and get locked for it, thanks!

12. Graxer

Graxer

To me realism is the main problem. If I wanted graphical/character realism I would be playing something like Call of Duty. (Which is not my sort of game at all) Not a game about a blue hedgehog who can run really fast.

I think that Sega thought that, as the original fans had grown up, to aim a game at them would need a more mature, dark, game aimed at their age range. In fact what I think most of us wanted (I certainly did) is a game that was designed with kids in mind, just like the classics we grew up with.

I am not saying that you are the only exception, you certainly aren't. There are many, but I think that in general the classic fans want a game aimed at kids like Heroes, Unleashed and (Best of all by far) Colours. By not being so the series is diverging from what makes a Sonic game. People that got into Sonic games starting with Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic '06 aren't generally into the more childish games that defined Sonic.

13. Jay T.

Jay T.

True, but love alone doesn't make it too bad. Remember that Sonic's original "girlfriend" before Amy (even though she's not a GF to him) was a human being as well. You have to have some kind of sexual attraction to an animal to be considered bestiality...or "inter-species erotica" if you prefer a more "proper" term (sorry, couldn't help myself making that reference). Considering the fact Sonic saved her life numerous times, can't exactly blame her for seeing Sonic as her "knight in shining armor," even though he is a different species (which is still weird, regardless).

Unfortunately...one other problem I've seen is that due to this game being generally disliked or hated by others for the problems it had, I think this is where the whole "blame the fans" kind of sparked since there are people who liked this game (I do myself, honestly, but it's not as good as the other 3D titles).

14. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I never said I didnt like the childish storylines or such, infact the whole *end of the world* thing in Sonic 06 just didnt jive with me. The reason I probably like Eggman more of a realistic character is because when I used to play the Genesis games as a kid I would think of him as this evil maniac hellbent on destroying the world, whereas in the adventure series he looks more like a joke. Not that I don't like any of that I just prefer the 06 type.

15. Graxer

Graxer

Ok, well personally when I played the Mega Drive/Genesis games I thought of Robotnik as being a bit of a humorous character. Until Sonic Underground came out I didn't see any other version of him as I had only seen AOSTH, not SatAM. The one counter example would be when I played Sonic 3D Blast on my PC though. Robotnik's laugh was extremely menacing during the boss music. (I was fine with that though)

For me, the first and only proper menacing appearance of Robotnik in the games was Sonic 06, but I can understand that you didn't interpret the classics in the same way. Thats fine and no more wrong than my interpretation.

16. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I seriously don't understand how you find the game so enjoyable that you managed to sit through all of those damn loading screens and S-Ranked absolutely everything in the game.

Honestly... if the glitches were a little fixed up, the loading times were severely cut down (why, why, WHY load the entire adventure field up to display one line of text AND THEN LOAD UP THE ENTIRE ADVENTURE FIELD AGAIN FOR A TWO SECOND MISSION!? WWWHHHHHHHYYYYY!!!!????), and if the Mach Speed sections weren't so horribly broken... I think I'd honestly enjoy the game a little more.

But as it stands I cannot and never will enjoy Sonic 06. Don't care that the music is good and I don't care that the game had decent level design, Sonic 06 almost put me off from Sonic games for good.

17. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Probably by sheer determination and the inability to play Unleashed or Colors since I don't have them.

Yea I know how you feel about the loading screens, at times when it took 20 seconds to load a small sentence and then another 20 for the mission and after the mission another 40 for random sentence and after loading screen I wanted to throw my controller through the T.V.

Please do explain how they were broken, I found them quite enjoyably difficult yet I hear alot about these portions of the game. I am curious as to what part is so off-turning.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    So I guess the optional powerups and the fields actually being smaller in Adventure don't count then, eh?

When I last saw a playthrough of '06, the city and the forest were both enormous and often full of empty space, which looked awfully boring to traverse especially as Silver, but even Sonic looked as if he had a conservative speed cap. It also looked like all you had were the frequent side missions and the guy who sells you powerups, some of which can outright break the game.

19. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

In addition to being tired, overworked, and inexperienced, a lot of the developers would have suspected that this was their last stand with the studio.

From what I've seen, the hyper-realism doesn't appear to be a conscious design choice but rather a frantic attempt to cut corners.
    -Props and locations appear to have been ripped from a completely unrelated cancelled game, (the same story behind SHtH if I recall).
    -Eggman and Elise's models look like modified npcs with paper cutouts glued on.
    -The motion capture animations are exaggerated as if they were intended for cartoony figures.
    -Not to mention all the novice texture and polygon mishaps.

And some things just escape my comprehension.
    In cuts scenes, Omega takes ages to walk across a room. This should have literally taken 3 seconds to fix. Did a time-scale function murder the director's sister?

Like others have said, meshing two different worlds is entirely possible, and romantic relationships between cartoon animals and humans are nothing new, however I say there was just no time, no money, no experience, and no motivation to make it all work. Humbug!

20. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    You know, I never thought it was that big a deal, but I could see where people would. A human love interest wouldn't be that weird if it didn't take itself too seriously.

Of course, Sonic '06 took things WAY too seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.