don't click here

Sonic 06 PC Remake

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by S0LV0, Dec 8, 2015.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Sonic Fan Remix wasn't C&D'd. It got Sega's attention sure, and no doubt was a strong factor in changing episode 2's visuals, but it was Pelikan & Mercury that only had time to program the original demo.

To my knowledge, Streets of Rage Remake is the only Sega fan game that's been shut down.

EDIT: At the end of the day, the thing with fan games is unless there's an explicit statement from the company e.g. Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules you're always going to be at their mercy / discretion. All you can do really is take a calculated risk and hope for the best.

2. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Oh... my bad. Reaffirms my observation that SEGA are generally lax, though. Means this project has less to worry about. :v:

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I didn't know that about Sonic Fan Remix. I thought the creator willingly ended that project. That obviously sets a precedent then and completely torpedoes my original argument. I still think this Sonic 06 project is safe because it's of what is basically abandonware in terms of how Sega treats it but arguing that all Sonic projects are automatically immune is incorrect then. From what I remember of Sonic Fan Remix it was very visible at the time garnering a hell of a lot of attention and probably became a little too popular and noticeable forcing Sega to act. Most Sonic fangames fly under the radar so to speak. Most of the releases are only noticeable to us because they're posted here and even then they generate very little attention. They don't for example generally get 250K hits on YouTube and massive adoration and popularity. That's probably what forced Sega to act. That and the game's unfortunate close proximity to Sonic 4.

So what happened with Sonic Fan Remix then? A cease and desist and that's why Pelikan is now working on 90s Arcade Racer?

EDIT: Oh wait hold up Taxman just posted. My argument is restored! Though this entire post is now redundant. And yeah as S0LV0 said this just re-asserts my belief that Sega are relaxed when it comes to Sonic fan-projects specifically. I think this particular project will be fine and able to continue.

4. Gistix

Gistix

Yes, perhaps even an online mode.

Don't worry with that, it's completely fine.

There is indeed the planning to open source it, but only once it is complete. It would need some articulation, since as of now I'm using Blitz Sonic's code as a base. But I do worry with the quality of the content it will be used to create, as you know Damizean's creation, Blitz Sonic, basically backfired. Probably because it was so easy to use.

I remember to read somewhere that the Streets of Rage team contacted Sega to ask about a release, if this is true, that's where it went wrong.

I'd like to thank everyone for the compliments.

5. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    If co-op is possible, that would be pretty nice! Definitely not necessary, but sweet if it can be done.

This is something I hope to avoid with my Shantae project, by making a short and sweet little GBC-style game with a quiet, unhyped release. (Two dungeons long; even shorter than Risky's Revenge.) Fan games are typically fine, until they are on par with either the same level of quality or content as official ones. Then things go from sitting in a gray area to playing with fire.

Gistix's '06 remake certainly wouldn't be a direct threat to anything SEGA may have planned. The only logical reason I could think of would be, "Shh, please let our worst retconned mistake in the series stay dead.". :v:

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Ahh, so Sonic Fan Remix was voluntarily halted? I thought I heard differently, but I'm glad the scenario wasn't quite as bad.
    The situation with Streets of Rage makes total sense though.

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. Crappy content comes with the price of ease-of-use, sure, but great things can also come out of it. Sonic Worlds is fairly easy to use, and it produced Sonic Before/After The Sequel, some of the best fangames the community has ever seen. Basically, you should absolutely open-source it, but be aware that it will result in crappy projects and be okay with that because there will be great ones too.

8. Falk

Falk

Not to toot our own horns or anything, but I give thanks to whatever deity presides over everything Sanic that BTS/ATS didn't get the red card. I mean, those things have been featured everywhere from Kotaku/Destructoid to Red Bull website's gaming section to the front page of freaking Wikipedia.

There's definitely a contrast between Sonic as a franchise and many other Japanese-owned IPs, some of which belong to SEGA themselves.

9. Faseeh

Faseeh

Holy, if you're using the BlitzSonic engine, that's a huge upgrade to the code! That itself is commendable.

I do want to state that you shouldn't worry about the content since you're not associated with it. I get why you might not want an overly low level of entry to let terrible stages come in, but that wouldn't stop your content in any way. It makes sense for you to open source it only after the project is done but maybe you could partially open source it to only people you trust and are capable, just a suggestion. :P Do what you want to! Glad that you have clear thoughts on what you are doing, good luck!

EDIT: ...just saw that Strife has already said what I just said.

10. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well, this is very interesting. Granted, Sonic 06 is garbage in virtually every conceivable way aside from the music, but this project is interesting nonetheless.

11. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Gistix, I would just like to say I'm a huge fan of this project, especially its faithfulness to the original game. I know you're planning on adding Metal Sonic, a cut feature of the original game. Are you planning on adding more cut features, like Super Sonic or Silver's Speed Chip? (Obviously completing the basic game would be the main priority)

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's obvious that the creator of this is a good coder with some real talent.

That said, it's a shame that it's being squandered on a game that's a trainwreck on so many levels. Even putting aside the gameplay issues, the plot is atrocious, the game cumbersome and boring, etc. The only thing worth saving is the music, and we have OSTs for that.

More power to you if you really want to do this, Gistix, but I really do think you're wasted on trying to salvage 06.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm sure he's not sick and tired of hearing that either :v:

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'm sure Gistix has heard this many many times, but he wants to do it and honestly I would love to see a PC port of this game exist in some form.

Gistix, come by SSMB and talk about this remake too in the 2006 topic.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Yeah, echoing how impressive this is on a technical level, but how much of a wasted effort it is on a conceptual one. If it were re-creating the physics of SA2 or even Lost World, then I would be clamoring for it significantly.

16. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    How about instead of discouraging this person who clearly won't be swayed, y'all SHADDAP cuz some people are actually really excited by this :argh:

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    What gets me is all the people saying what a waste this is...

"Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted time." :v:

18. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Here's where I state my unpopular opinion that I would play a Sonic stage in 06 over just about any stage in Lost World. :specialed:

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I get what you mean, just get the game in a non-broken bug free form on PC and let the fans do whatever the hell they want after. I think that goal is reasonable.

But what about scrapped features that researchers found after the game released, like the super gem. will you be implementing those since they were going to be in the game but SEGA never got to finish them?

20. winterhell

winterhell

You cant please the community. Its like, if this version of the game is good it'd dilute the arguments and hate against the original.

@everyone, if people want to do something that doesnt butthurt you, why are you stopping them?
    And its really too early to ask for changes. They first need to actually implement all the levels and most features, to have the game playable from start to finish before you can add Big the Cat and stuff.

Secretly down there you want this.