don't click here

Sonic 06 going to be reworked for Games on Demand?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by evilhamwizard, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Apparently you can.

Well, okay, you probably can't. I know I can't. In fact, I'd go as far as to say any sane person can't. But for some reason there's a large sect of the Sonic fanbase that actually thinks this game is hot. That the glitches make the game more amusing. That the controls are perfectly fine. That this game is fun, and that anyone who hates it not only has the wrong opinion, but is jumping on the bandwagon with all the other people who said this game was terrible, and have never even once touched it.

Just... how can mankind be so dumb? How?

2. Granville

Granville

US
    I'm sad Sonic 06 failed so hard. It actually resembled something like Sonic Adventure 3 when watching videos or looking at screens. It would be interesting if they went back and finished the game, but that'll never happen probably.

3. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Some parts look like adventure, others not so much. It takes itself too seriously and looks way too real. Even though there's some parallels with the level themes, what they have inside has different apraches. Let's compare Flame Core and Red Mountain (inside), there's fun stuff there, the prisioners, the dancing cowboys, etc. Flame core is some mountains and a pool of red lava. There's nothing interesting in that level.

My favourite levels are Crysis City, because the decadent and post-apocalyptic city makes a very interesting and innovative scenario for Sonic, and Kingdom Valley, because even though the ruins can be linked to Lost World, it's done differently, radical train is good as well, because it's probably the most gimmick one. Everything else... isn't so great I think. Wave Ocean has sand, some water pits and mountains, I can't like the levels where I have to carry Elise, white acropolis is just snow after snow, that snowboard section is awful, aquatic base is repetitive...

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Funny, making a serious story and having a more realistic look was the intention of Sonic Team when they made the, among most fans myself excluded, highly appreciated Sonic Adventure.
    Anyhow, dun see what's wrong about Sonic as a franchise growing up a bit, to be honest.

5. probably the same kind of person who really believes a grimdark fangame with tons of satam/archie characters would "revive SEGA's dying franchise" and not being an even bigger laughing stock then the average Sonic game. someone blinkered to reality.

the magic of youtube comments.

it's a game about a blue speedy hedgehog and his friend(s) saving the world from a fat man with a mechanical fetish? I don't see why surreal enviroments and lighthearted storylines aren't a good idea.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I dunno. In comparison, I myself liked the more serious plots in more real environments over the surreal, lighthearted stuff so far. .... weird, considering Sonic Heroes was the game that actually brought me into the fanbase to begin with.

7. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Apart from the Mystic Ruins and Station Square, nothing else looks realistic. I'd say Emerald Coast and parts of Lost World and Ice Cap are probably the most realistic of the levels but everything else isn't realstic. And those compared to any of the levels in S06 is pushing it a lot.

I'm not against levels that are realistic. Crysis City and perhaps Kingdom Valley have excelent ideas, especially the first. I think they need to fit Sonic though, or at least my idea of Sonic, therefore imaginative, colourful and fun to play. I had no fun playing White acropolis. Though is highly realistic, I had a lot of fun playing Crysis City. It fits Sonic too, IMO. Because the city was all messed up, it was easy for them to incorporate fun momments and interesting concepts without being contrived to "this needs to look real".

I was dragged in thanks to the classics though, so who knows exacly. Even so Marble Zone, Hill Top, Angel Island, Sandopolis are realistic, and they fit Sonic anyway, again IMO. Ice cap is probably a fans' favourite and it's very realistic. Sonic Adventure 2 is realistic, or at least many of the settings are supposed to be so, yet it's very fun to play, because they still throw unreal things there left and right. Look at Crazy Cadget, it's mostly a dull level which is repetitive and that you've seen before with Tails at least. They still bypass that with the gravity switches however and that makes the level interesting. Then at the end there's the tetris room and it's awesome. I can't see anything on a S06 level that makes me want to stay and spend time with it.

I may not be explaining myself very well though. I still think that trying to make things too real or contrived to logic that those obstacles in a level could exist simply doesn't work with Sonic. I've been noticing everyone who has played S06 tends to prefer Crysis City and Kingdom Valley, everything else gets hate. I'd throw Radical Train there as well, but probably people get too frustated with that one.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I feel I should remind you that Ice Cap Zone starts off as a sprawling cavern made from ice and ends when you get through the giant looping glacier.

9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    What, you've never experienced a dramatic shift in the laws of time and space wherein you phase through the ground, fall from the sky, and land in exactly the same place you started? Hell, I get that at least once a week. :v:

No but seriously, Ice Cap Act 1 is obviously filled with hallucinogenic gas.

10. I think this is a good idea. If it wasn't for the unfinished engine, awesome ideas cut, and horrible story, the game would have been the best one to date.

I can deal with a broken engine, and I don't give a rats ass about the story, so Sonic 06 was great for me.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I enjoyed the experience, and even replayed through the story a few times, but I hardly ever went for town missions unless I needed quick rings or something (and even then a lot of town missions were cake). My biggest complaints about the story mode, gameplay wise, was the unnecessary size of the Adventure fields (especially the forest, crossing that thing with Silver is just....ugh...), no real map so finding your way around Soleanna's a bitch for a while, and the loading times.

The levels themselves could've been better, but really weren't all that bad, aside from the loading times in between sections making them feel more tedious then fun.

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sonic '06 is horrendous, it's the first Sonic game I bought and played that I just couldn't willfully finish, it was that bad. This game can't be fixed. Broken controls and physics, horrible story, stupid level design (Half of which is 100% automated), ridiculous loading times, absolutely terrible town missions, ugly graphics, and just... no polish at all. It's a bad game, one of the worst I've ever played.

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yes and it is fun, has diversity and creativity, though it's realistic (or looks like so). That's the point. White Acropolis WAS NOT fun. It was clearly just a snowy map and you navigate around not really sure what you're supposed to do, kill a bunch of generic and ugly enemies and that's it. It's no SA Ice Cap either. The layout is too simple (though complicated to know where you're going), the gimmicks are close to none and uninteristing: the snowboarding section is disgusting while the small pouches on the ground that you have to destroy the top to reach small stuff are useless. That level would be cool if those pouches opened like in Big's version of Ice Cap, and you'd have to explore and advance below the ground for awhile (multiple paths even). White Acropolis is probably the worse of the levels for me. It's very dull and I truly hate it. Cool Edge was very good IMO, both Sonic and Werehog (though as with every of this, it could've been smaller).

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Don't do it, man! It's not worth it!

I was "curious" about Shadow the Hedgehog, and I managed to snag a copy of the game for free and even then I think I overpaid.

Sonic 2006 was not only one of the worst games of its year of release, it may be a contender for one of the worst games of this generation, as well as a contender for worst Sonic game ever. It will be a vastly more enjoyable experience if you just watch a play-through of the game on Youtube or something.

It's all a matter of perspective. As children, we grew up watching shows like G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-man, etc.

Have you tried to watch any of those shows today? They're an embarrassment. The only entertainment value to be had is purely one of nostalgia. They are often stupid, poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly animated. A 30 minute TV commercial for a toy line.

But we were kids. We didn't care or even really notice how awful that stuff was. Call it the naiveté of youth.

That is the same market Sonic games cater to nowadays, which is absolutely drop-dead hilarious when you consider the themes the writers at Sonic Team routinely tried to tackle (see: just about anything involving Shadow). There is a serious disconnect between what Sonic Team wanted (?) to do with Sonic and how the market perceives Sonic - which, I mean, I guess by this point, should pretty obvious.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I had some fun with '06. Not to say it was particularly good, I still faced glitches and all (And Silver's Dusty Desert...DAMN that ball! I can't get the glitch to work either), but it could still be fun, as long as you got on a run that didn't have as many glitches.

I still think Radical Train is one of the better stages. Aside from the loading times, it's a quick, kinda fun stage to play, barring the Super Speed section in Sonic's version.

16. Graxer

Graxer

The only level I could bear was Wave Ocean. (And even it wasn't that great) Apart from the Jungle one, it was the only level that's colouring wasn't bland and lifeless in my opinion. Also I just saw it as a continuation of Emerald Coast. The reason I don't like the Jungle one is due to the unfair deaths which plagued the level. I don't want to swing from vines that you only have a tiny time window to jump from. It should have been like SA2 and Heroes where the vines made it easy to time your jumps.

17. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I've always wanted to try Shadow, so I picked it up about a month ago. To me, it's pretty much Sonic Heroes with guns. I actually liked Heroes though, so I think Shadow's decent. It's probably my least favorite Sonic game, but it's still decent. I'm one of those fans that will buy any game that has Sonic in it, regardless of how crappy it is.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm well aware there's a lot wrong with Sonic 06, and any public qualms with the gameplay and/or story are usually pretty understandable.

I'm also well aware that I have a lot more patience than most people, and I genuinely like the brand and its characters enough to tolerate the bullshit we've got recently. I'm not saying I like it, or hate it for that matter, I just know it's there, and that I just have to live with it.

19. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    The only thing Shadow the Hedgehog had going for it was the Replay value, Guns, and awesome explosions. Other than that the game is a piece of shit. The story although lackluster may entertain at least once then it looks like shit afterwards. I did like the good and evil gauge abilities (especially evil because I like huge explosions. Plus its funny when shadow accidentally kills friendly units with the attack.)
    Seriously Shadow the Hedgehog is actually better than this shit. On a scale, I'd have to put 3D Sonic games in this order:
    Good to Bad
    Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Unleashed
    Sonic Heroes (Some perception of where this goes may be different. I myself thought it was solid, but just barely.)
    Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic and the Black Knight (Tie)
    Sonic and the Secret Rings
    Sonic the Hedgehog '06 (Crash and Burn baby because you fail!)

I haven't played Sonic 06' but I consider it the game that never happened. Mainly because the storyline obliterated itself making the game itself a paradox and it was just so bad that it need to have never happened and most sonic Fans consider that point so. Those who have played it don't usually enjoy talking about it. I don't blame them either.

20. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Face, meet your new friend palm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.