SonAR - Hosted by SeanieB

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Heran Bago, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred

Formerly known as 'Neo' Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Sonic CD european ISO is 107 MB. RARed it's 19,6 MB.

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Super Guitar Hero II
    It might be worth looking into a lossless audio compression - that way, you can save on bandwidth (as the acual data track on Sonic CD is quite small in comparison to a full BIN/CUE) but still have a lossless representation of the original disc.

3. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    19.6 MB? I like what I hear.

edit: LocalH, why can't an ISO include the CD music files on the disc?

4. LocalH

LocalH

Super Guitar Hero II
    Basically, ISO is a subset of BIN/CUE that only covers data tracks. Since audio tracks are stored in a different format (additional error correction, which means less data per sector), they're simply incompatible with data tracks. All CD tracks hold 2352 bytes of data, plus the error correction which is held at a lower level than the data itself. Audio tracks use all 2352 bytes for audio data, while data tracks only use 2048 of those bytes (leaving the rest for additional error correction data), since data needs to be more robust than audio (after all, you won't notice a few corrupted samples from a song, but you will notice a few corrupted bytes in a data file).

Edit: Here is a better explanation than mine.

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Techokami ponted out to me that the Pirates and ROM hacks section now give 403s. How can I make the folders open like this? Would I need an htmaccess thingy?

6. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Edge
    what's the permissions? Methinks you need to change them to 0644

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

I talked to my web hosting. I figured out how to edit permissions on folders. :(

Now if I could figure out how to edit permissions on FTP accounts, then I'd be set!

edit, first post updated:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To upload/download Pirate ROMs via FTP:
    ftp address: ftp.heranbago.com
    login: sonarp
    pass: sonar

To upload/download ROM hacks via FTP:
    ftp address: ftp.heranbago.com
    login: sonarh
    pass: sonar

Please don't delete stuff or upload files other than pirates or ROM hacks accordingly. It's annoying.
    Please don't delete all the ROMs. Then I will have to re-upload them. That would be extremely inconvenient.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

In my rediculous quest for OMGEVERYDUMPEVER, I have obtained the GoodGen 3.00 set.

I'll say that I have a fuckton of work to do. Behold every recognized dump of Sonic 1, 2, and 3:
    [​IMG]
    Expect updates to MD/Gen section SonAR over the next few weeks. Lots of them. I've already updated quite a few games' selections. But the main Sonic games are going to be something of a pain.

Edit: Updated SonAR's tag explanation, for good reason:
    And umm, yeah. Sorry for teh double post, but too bad. =P

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HivePal 2.0
    You might want to group the non-[!] ROMs together in solid RAR or 7Z archives, to save space and bandwidth.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Or find some way of showing rom files which are identical

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    they AREN'T identical, hence the different releases.

and I don't think it's so OMG AWESOME to own every poorly made dump someone made or edited SONIC KNUCKLES to SONIC CLOCOA

12. infinity

infinity

Goodsets are bad. There obviously is not 5 seperate dumps of the Sonic 2 prototype so theres no reason to have them, just because someone modified them in some way.

13. LocalH

LocalH

Super Guitar Hero II
    They're interesting to dig through, however. As of right now, the only place I've ever seen an S2 rev 02 header was in "bad"/hacked/trained ROMs. Not that it means that much in terms of getting an actual S2 rev 02 or anything, but it's still interesting. Better to distribute them in a solid compression format, like Hivebrain mentioned - that way, the filesizes are tiny compared to non-solid compression like ZIP, and you can delete what you don't want to keep after unarchiving.

What pisses me off is people who get rid of such ROMs and then distribute that "set" on to others as if it is a full Goodset. Give them all the ROMs instead, and let each person make their own choice, since obviously some people like the extra ROMs. Or, at the very least, make it plainly clear that you're only distributing [!] dumps, so that someone who wants the full set doesn't get shortchanged by downloading your incomplete package.

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    the S2 beta is quite common, so I wouldn't doubt it, really. you can get one at russian and chinese flea markets. and those are shitty bootlegs most of the times, so chances are they're fucked. but you're right, most of those bad dumps are just correct dumps with 'JOSH WUZ HERE' in the header or something.

15. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

I am going to be hosting the entirety of the goodsets, with the ROMs in this order:
    [individual goodset dumps in order I care] [original scene dumps] [local dumps (like qjimbo)] [a 7z pack of all goodset dumps]

The order I care about goodsets is pretty basic. and if there are a ton of h#C, f#, or b#, I'll just stick them in a pack. If someone wants to sift through all the bad dumps of Sonic 2, I'll let them.

Generally the first ROM listed is the best. If people are just there to get a ROM to play, they should go for the first, which is usually the goodset, normal (W)/(JUE) or U.

I don't like the goodset system myself, but it's the best system available.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Genesis / Mega Drive section is finished! I think...

You can download ALL the GoodGen Sonic ROMs in a 7z pack that's smaller than 14 megs.
    Even if it looks a little messy on the surface, I'm happy with it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, which is bigger after compression, (like anyone actually knows without testing...) a compressed .bin/.cue rip of Sonic CD, or a .iso/.wav rip?

.iso/.wav is lossless, right?

16. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    iso wav is lostless I think... ISOMP3 is not. Bin/CUE is the best though, albeit big.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Dr._Robotnik's_Mean_Bean_Machine_(U)_[!]

link is broken

18. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Fixed. Thanks! Anymore broken links reported will be appreciated to the EXTREME. But I thought I got all of 'em. :(

Nonono, ISO/MP3 is lossy. Usually WAY lossy. CD audio converted to MP3 is... not what someone collecting [perfect] dumps would want. bin/cue is generally accepted as as a PERFECT CD image, as any burn will be identicle to the original.
    WAV files are raw audio, and lossless to my knowledge, but I'm not sure. WAV audio files are also HUGE.

19. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    that's what I said "iso wav is lostless" =P

20. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

I appologize, I was a moron while posting. =P