don't click here

Solid backgrounds

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LOst, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    One of the levels in Chaorix has a moving boat as floor. If that was developed for the Genesis, no background would have been used. Only two planes are available on the Genesis. One for the foreground and one fro the background. The moving boat is inbetween the foreground and the background. Sky Sanctuary in S&K has a simular moving ground like the boat in Chaotix, but it is using the background for that, and the background is made up of the backdrop as well as cloud sprites.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Wait, you're saying the BG tiles can hold collision as well? Explain this a bit more please. Is there a specific method of doing so?

I understand using Dynamic pattern reloading for the FG based clouds, but does it use it for the BG clouds too?

3. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Hill Top's earthquake object raises the bg that's solid pretty much showing that the bg layer can still hold Solid tiles.

4. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Yeah background tiles can hold solidity. They are just tiles after all, so you just apply it the exact same way as you do with foreground tiles.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Is there a specific method I can use to recreate this myself? Like, I've set normally solid tiles to the BG before, but since you can't access the BG layer by default it has no effect.

6. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Use Hill Top's Earthquake object. Object 30 00 is the start of the earthquake, and 30 04 is the end,

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Yes, but how does that work? Does it raise a layout from layer B onto a solid walking plane? etc.

8. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

It raises the BG layer to Sonic's Later so it's under the regular FG and in front of the BG.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
  11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Know the Genesis hardware :P

Scroll B uses the high bit on the lava tiles to make it appear over scroll A's low bit tiles.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I know about layering one plane over another, as I've done it before. Just making it solid was my concern.

Hey Local, can you split this to a seperate topic please?

13. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Topic split.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.