don't click here

So You Want to make 2D slopes?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wonder if Inkscape can do this too.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    What version of Illustrator are you using?

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This is some great stuff, and amazing ideas and methods from all parties. :)

A personal opinion: I'd suggest using good judgement when making certain slopes in general, as some slopes can look out of place in zones theme/architecture. Every zone in Sonic games has its own certain "rules" of slopes and architecture style that the zone uses. Tall 45 degree ramps and "tubes" for example look good in a stage like Chemical Plant, but would look out of place in a level like Green Hill.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    this is great. thanks so much for sharing.

5. Foxeh

Foxeh

Animator Member
    In the Walls
    Sonic AGES and Writing a documentation for Realms
    That's really awesome, Ritz! definitely something to experiment with in the future. although i think i may still end up using this mainly for hard surfaces instead of organic ones.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    You seem to be able to do it without it aliasing it. How do you do that? I get it all blurred to hell. Using CC, as CS6 is a no go.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I think raster distortion has only been possible since CC, yeah. The pin tool I used at the end of that last gif is a recent addition in CC 2018. For the anti-aliasing, did you select the art and apply Effect > Rasterize? That's a live effect you can see in the Appearance panel, not the one-shot rasterize command in the Object menu. Use 72 PPI and set anti-aliasing to "none" in the dialogue. Then you export with File > Export > Save for web as either GIF or PNG-8 (just use PNG-8), reduce the color count to something between 8 and 32, and make sure the dropdown menu in the "image size" section is set to "none."