don't click here

So Ryan Drummond was supposed to return

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiranno, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Wow this sucks, so it seems then that Sega doesn't stand by it's Sonic voice acting decisions nor do they properly support them when they've made it...

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Honestly, I rather liked the way Sonic sounded in the OVA series. Urkel bugged the shit out of me, and his lines made it all the worse. Regardless, I haven't given a shit about the new entries into the series past SA2, so it's not like the current or future voice actor concerns me. :V

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Personally was always a fan of Drummond's voice for Sonic. Sure, the directioning given by Lani Minella in the SA games was pretty bad, but I thought his tone and his verbal inflection for a lot of stuff was tops, and I can't say the same for any other game-Sonic VA besides when Griffith was getting into it around near the end of his run with Unleashed and the storybook games. Still, I didn't like what Drummond was doing in Heroes but Sonic didn't have much emotional range in that game either.

I really do wonder what Sonic would've sounded like with the current voice direction and Ryan mixed in alongside it. Must've been pretty dang great, going by what was said by XD375.

4. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I really think Roger is one of the best Sonic voices, and that a lot of Ryan's praise is slightly glorified by nostalgia, but this is just sad to read.

God damn, it must suck to be a voice actor.

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    It's a shame that Sega would prefer to low ball Ryan but the fact is there is always someone willing to take the job for less. That said, I'm glad we got the guy we have now. He is great with the role.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not at all surprised to see some of Anti-Drummond remarks in here. While I'm sure he's improved greatly or they just improved voice directing significantly from the '90s (HOUSE OF THE DEAD VOICE ACTING!), I don't know if I'd been all smiles with Drummond back at the helm.

I like the idea that, with each redesign, Sonic's getting a little older (though not really as he's always been depicted as 15-16.) So he goes from somewhat mute (Sonic CD), Dreamcast Era, Griffith/Dark Ages Era (nothing on Jason at all. He just got saddled in for a really shitty span of games up until Unleashed, where he sounded pretty good) and now he's older sounding but back to being a smartass (as that's what is typically considered having an attitude these days. Being a smartass, not LOLI'MCOOLANDEDGY RADICAL BRO)

I'm still very much a mark for the original Shadow voice actor, but at this stage in how the character was developed (kicking and screaming through a horrid bog), I don't know how well he'd fit anymore.

7. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Shame, I liked Ryan.

I'm looking forward to when Nolan North inevitably voices Sonic.

8. Retroman

Retroman

I'd love to have Ryan Drummond back. He is so determined for 10 years to get back the voice, give him a break Sega!

I don't like Roger's voice... but I'd love to hear Ryan's one for 2012.

I'd say let it be. Sega Sonic games needed a new direction. And needs to be aimed more at people over the usual kids age, but not 18. Oh gosh no. Maybe if they stopped being greedy, and paid Ryan for at-least a cameo in a game as Dreamcast Sonic, then maybe. But that would tire Ryan's patience. Imagine going back and forth from each state and then being told 'Nope'

For Sega Company Representatives who don't understand english:

Sega No Baka!
    ????

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Now there's a VA I'd like to see return. I can't honestly say I've heard a role being played like that before, and it fit Shadow very well.

10. Retroman

Retroman

Ditto.
    The Original Shadow voice actor had an edge that cannot be beaten with other actors.
    He was a naturally-voiced bad-ass, and I felt the one we have now sounds like he is trying hard to voice him. Abit of Jason Griffin syndrome.

Edit: For some reason, when I quoted your post, it said at the end '-I'm Stupid-' o_o

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I think you hit the nail on the head with why some people didn't like him. Given a bit more freedom with timing, I'm sure he would've been a TON better than many people remember him.

12. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I definately preffered Sonic's voice actor in Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie. It was distinguishable and unique.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    YES. David Humphrey had a very nuanced Shadow. He didn't have an angsty voice. It was very sophisticated and confident, and it sounded like a legitimate character instead of an emo character archetype. If they were to bring him back, I would be more than happy with the choice.

14. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I didn't NOT like that voice (it was definitely distinguishable and unique), but it was a bit... annoying, to say the least. Everyone besides Metal were annoying; not bad by any means, just annoying.

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Really? I thought Bill Wise's Knuckles was just about perfect. It was like Michael Mcgaharn's performance but with a slightly less deep voice.

Honestly Michael's Knuckles is the best out there in my opinion. For someone who spends their life alone on an island it makes more sense for them to remain calm until the situation called for action. Not like the hot-headed personality he was given after Adventure 2.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic's voice has never really suffered, or at least, not to the extent of someone like Tails.

The problem is neither the actors involved or even the writing, it's the fact that someone made an executive decision to allow Sonic and co. to talk. It's a leftover from Sonic Adventure's idea of fusing story-driven RPG elements into a Sonic game, and I can't think of any greater contrast between fluid, action packed gameplay and standing still listening to animals express their feelings. I just find the whole thing bizarre, and I imagine the only reason it's stuck is due to that Sonic X anime.

Maybe the Sonic Adventure cast is better but it's all really odd considering the series' roots. I'd say bring on the worst voices imaginable for the sake of ironic humour - it would be more "intelligent" than it is now.

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Do you realize that sonic already talked in the classic era,don't you? Sonic CD "I'm outta here" says hi!

Also, it's incredibly stupid to think that animals with human like mental capabilities do not talk. In the genesis era they didn't because of technical capabilities of the systems, it is not needed and hard to do. But now? I find classic sonic in generations bland and stupid because of his "hey I'm mute,love me" scenes.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sonic Generations broke the fourth wall. Sonic only never spoke because he was a a direct caricature of his actual video game self, not the actual world of Sonic. It was literally like they lifted him from the old games.

I feel bad for Drummond. There's always a soft spot for him in my heart, and I'd like him back one day if they ever change again. Roger Craig Smith is great though and he captures the personality of Sonic perfectly. I was never a fan of Jason, though he got better with time and I enjoyed how he sounded in Unleashed and Black Knight.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly, I don't think Classic Sonic could have been voiced by Roger Craig Smith... at all. He sounds way too old for classic Sonic. Now, Jaleel White or even Drummond perhaps could have voiced classic, but if their options were Smith or nothing, I'm glad they went with nothing. Like Pollock works with Robotnik, and Tails' actor even works for classic Tails since they can go even higher. Sonic though? No. I don't think Smith could have pulled it off.

Really wish they got white to voice Classic Sonic. Catch phrases all over the place.

20. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Unfortunately they didn't...

AND THAT'S NOOO GOOD!