don't click here

[SMW hack] Sonic and Silver: The Chaos Race {SS]

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Delmaru, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Personally, I don't know why anybody would want to do it. (Though If I could, I would SO try to insert Sonic into Super Mario Galaxy. A speed increase, re-work the underwater physics, replace that retarded twirl with a jump dash (in air) or spin-dash (on the ground), and hey-presto it's X-treme!)

That being said, I'm not 100% sold on a Sonic-themed SMW hack. I'll need to see something to convince me that SMW would be able to handle the speed.

2. Delmaru

Delmaru

Sonic and Silver: The Chaos Race [SMW hack]
    Yes, I am trying my best to fit Sonic into Super Mario World.

Also, I'm looking for anyone who is talented in graphics to change all of the enemies in the game (or most of them anyway) to Sonic-esque enemies.

3. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Weird, in a similar way I'm trying my best to fit in the Sonic World things from the Mario universe for my hack.

You could say the same about Sonic in Mushroom Kingdom, but mixing this 2 worlds is impossible, that's why the best solution is to adapt their concepts instead of mixing them.
    Sonic in SMG would be so badass, I really hope someone will do it for real.
    I'm not a SMW hacker, althought I'm interested in it, however, since Sonic games can handle low speed, I guess it may not be to hard to make a Mario game handle high speed.

Hmmm... I'm doing the exact opposite for my hack, but I guess I can give it a try. However, you want the Badniks in your hack, or you want the common Mario enemies to look like badniks (Basically what I'm doing in my hack)?

4. Delmaru

Delmaru

Sorry STHX, but someone has already offered to help in a PM. Thanks for asking though. Also, I may have more pics later today.
    Well, sooner than I thought D:

[​IMG]
    Here's the new coin block and powerups, I don't have the feather there for some reason. (Maybe 'cause I don't know what to use for it)

[​IMG]
    Here's the fireballs, which are super rings. Yes, I need to find a good palette for fire sonic

and we come to screens of the first level :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Will large parts of the Kumikyoku Automatic Mario convince you?

6. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Well, see, that's kinda the thing. It's an automatic mario. I'm not saying that SMW couldn't handle making the character/game MOVE at that speed, I just don't think the SMW engine would be completely playable by an average human (read: me) at those speeds. Perhaps it's the transcoding and the shitty youtube quality, but I swear that video is giving me motion sickness or something.

That being said, I REALLY WANT to see this project in action. Youtube video or rom file or something. Those pics taunt me. TAUNT ME!
    Also, despite what I'm saying, I totally think this could work. Even if the Mario engine can't handle the speed, Sonic could be totally playable at that speed.

All in all, I really want to see this succeed. I think. I'm not even sure what my point was anymore.

7. Delmaru

Delmaru

Yes, I will post a video, but I haven't got my title screen ready yet, and my overworld boarder got screwed up, but it will be fixed by tomorrow.

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Have you decided what all the bosses will be? The final battle with bowser works cuz of the clown thing he's in, so it can just become eggman in his ship, but all the others are too small to make anything significant unless it's a small badnik or something.

9. Delmaru

Delmaru

I was thinking the yellow one (dunno his name) could be Metal Sonic. it could work :)
    Also, I've already thought of that one. That's easy.

10. Delmaru

Delmaru

11. Delmaru

Delmaru

Okay, I did a shitload of work in the past couple days. I copied this from SMWC

Okay, I've almost got the first level done, just working on a part of it that you can zip through.

Here's some screens, just to be sure everyone's seen the title
    [​IMG]

The unfinished portion of the level
    [​IMG]

Sonic in action (actually, I got pwnt here by accident)
    [​IMG]

More of the level
    [​IMG]

I did something cool here, I hit the shell, and I hit it again after I kicked it. Odd.
    [​IMG]

Yay, ending. I need to make a new sprite for the goal, if I ever get an ending block that plays custom music.
    [​IMG]

All for now, will probably update tomorrow, or later today, depeding on where you live.

12. Delmaru

Delmaru

Alright, with the updated release of Addmusic, we have new features.

- It inserts over 100 level songs
    - You don't have to manually do it, unlike the expansion for addmusic (released recently)
    - New N-SPC commands, songs can now hold notes and other things I don't know
    There are probably more things, but I dunno.

Anyway, to my actual point;
    You can now use the seperate graphics patch with addmusic, meaning 2 Player has different graphics from 1 Player.
    What I need is someone to make me Silver, PM me or post here if you'd like to help.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    According to that, this is probably where this hack turns awesome ;)

Keep it up.

14. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Can I suggest you change the sliding sprites to rolling sprites, if possible? Something like that would be an awesome touch.

15. Delmaru

Delmaru

The Koopas or Sonic/Silver?

16. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    I would assume he meant for Sonic/Silver. Like when press down while on a slope.

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Suggestion: Disable regular jumping, leave only spin jumping.

18. Delmaru

Delmaru

I'm trying to see what I can do for that.

19. Delmaru

Delmaru

20. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    That's looking pretty nice. Keep up the good work! Oh...and Sonic can swim now? =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.