Should Crush 40 Return for Sonic Lost World?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Captain L, May 31, 2013.

1. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    My beef with a lot of orchestral music in video games is that I feel like it's just accompanying the action and environment rather than complementing it. It's a very lazy, "safe" practice that seems to be used far too often in the industry these days, at least for AAA games. Even if the orchestral music was good, I personally still wouldn't like it in a lot of games. I want to have a relaxing, fun time with most of my video games, not be told to feel like I'm on an epic adventure. It's why I hated the final boss music in Unleashed and Colors. The mood it created was so serious and detached from the rest of the game that I felt more annoyed than pumped.

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    Sonic 1 Color Contrast
    Levels in Sonic can't be generalized into genres like that though; it's all context sensitive. I probably would have been rather disappointed if Ice Cap (MD/GEN) had Christmas-y music. The music in Ice Cap made me further understand that I was in a cold, dangerous, icy cave/mountain. Alternatively, the music of Ice Mountain and Ice Paradise (Advance and Advance 2), fit their respective environments, and really wouldn't have fit well if it had the same type of track that Ice Cap had (though they are both 'Ice' stages). Twinkle Snow (Adv3), Diamond Dust (3D Blast) and the outdoor areas of the SA Ice Cap all appropriately evoked some sort of winter/snowy adventure.

Sonic music should always serve to either describe whats currently going on, or the kind of specific environment around the player. That being said, there were times where Crush 40 songs 'fit' as main game themes, but I still maintain that any Sonic music with a lead singing doesn't really belong (the ones that did sort of 'fit', are the exceptions not the rule). This certainly spoiled some of the songs in Secret Rings for me. The Palace That was Found (Evil Foundry) would have been excellent without the narmful "WHO'S GONNA ROCK THE PLACE?!?!" littered throughout.

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    What I'm taking away from this is that you don't like to get immersed in games.

4. The problem I have with Cash Cash is the damn autotune. It just ruins the voices of the singers...

Of course it CAN fit in some specific contexts but they use it like if it was some requirement to make the lyrics sound more interesting or something.

5. As long as they keep it up Generations style, Jun has shown he can handle pretty much all of the styles well if given enough backing, Sky Sanctuary Zone is a perfect blend of Orchestral and Rock elements, I even liked the Ska sound adapted to many of the older tracks, it felt fitting and yet modern at the time. Did Jun also do the Drum & Bass stuff for Stardust Speedway or was that Cash Cash?

6. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Well, I do, it's just that I explained my preferences in the wrong way. :v: I actually do like ambient music and/or background sounds to enhance immersion.

I guess that it's just that I'm more used to games with synthy, energetic soundtracks and not bombastic orchestral music. I don't really like a lot of my games to feature all symphony orchestra, all the time. Feature films do that and video games are not feature films, so I generally expect them to have different kinds of music. I grew up playing the Game Boy Advance and Sega Genesis, systems whose games tend to have heavily synthesized, energetic soundtracks with catchy melodies, so that's the kind of music I associate video games with.

7. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Actually, it's not Autotune. The various things Cash Cash uses to manipulate vocals can give off Autotune-like artifacts, but it's not Autotune. For example, according to a Sonic Generations interview, Alex Makhlouf said:

But whatever it is you might not like; Vocoder, Melodyne, Autotune, Dubstep, etc.; I personally think those things are great... As long as they are used in moderation, not as a crutch to carry an entire song.

8. Glisp

Glisp

It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    While there's no guarantee Crush 40 will do a track or two in the game, knowing Sonic Team, there's a good chance for Jun Sunoue to do something at least. (and quite frankly, I don't care what kind of music he composes for the game since he's not just a guitar player like some people think he is.)

9. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, the synth determines the pitch, whereas the vocal input is used to control a multi-band filter (formant bank, basically a really fancy EQ) that alters the frequency spectrum of the synth's pitched output, emulating the vocal timbre. From the voice, only the frequency spectrum is relevant as the instantaneous pitch is discarded, hence the need for a melody played on the synth itself. Thus, it is indeed quite different from autotune, which pays close attention to the pitch of the voice, taking this and clamping it to a specified set of allowed notes.

Sorry: couldn't resist geeking out here. :)

10. SpeedStarTMQ

SpeedStarTMQ

UK
    Regardless, if they repeat that effect it'll be a big mistake. For Colours, that vocoder effect was okay, because it was all a bit new and set in space and it kinda fitted, but it was bloody grating and it sounds awful and drone-y. I hope they just have normal singing if they have singing at all.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not to undercut Jun there with Sky Sanctuary, but he had help from Richard Jacques.

12. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I never want to hear any more Crush 40 stuff in a Sonic game again.

Richard Jacques and Howard Drossin, plz.

I think minds would be blown if anyone at Sega had some sort of clue and actually had Chris Senn do some stuff for it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAOv0WPK-M

13. Glisp

Glisp

It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    You do know you're not gonna get your wish Eric. They'll have Crush 40 again in the future. When though remains to be seen. Then again, chances are they'll also have Howard and Richard again. But as said, when remains to be seen.

14. dsrb

dsrb

Drossin? Meh... Needs Buxer et al. ;)

Not like I've ever followed X-Treme, but I had no idea Senn did music too. That's a pretty damn cool song!

It strikes me as slightly but persistently reminiscent of Yoshitaka Azuma's work for Panzer Dragoon. Primarily in the instrumentation but also in the composition, slightly: Senn's track is like a much more melodic version of something by Azuma without the overabundance of orchestral hits. :eng101: Anyone else getting this vibe?

Anyway, yeah, nice track. Thanks for the link!

15. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] No apologies necessary. Take a bow for that one! That was WELL said!

...Oh, and, yeah, I'd welcome back Howard Drossin and Richard Jacques. Heck, I'd also welcome back TJ Davis! ;)

16. TheBdude

TheBdude

What do you mean, "your eMachine can't play Mania" Member
    Well, I don't know about TJ Davis. I'm really not feeling the sunshine after hearing the Sonic R soundtrack. Although it is waaay too catchy, and I've recently gotten Back in Time stuck in my head >_<.

In all seriousness, I wonder who would do the Soundtrack for Lost World? Besides Crush 40 possibly doing the track for the Lava world, I wonder if Sega is gonna hire somebody else for the music? I can't see Cash Cash returning for this game, unless they want some consistency with Colors or something.

17. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community Oldbie
    Richard Jacques is a damn genius. They need to use him more.

18. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

I would rather they not, since this game looks more cartoonish than realistic. The music fit from Sonic Adventure to the recent titles.. But this one .. Nah. Don't see it happening.

19. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Nobody has figured out that which music fits best really is a matter of taste and not an absolute written in stone and delivered from the clouds above?

Any genre can be used to fit a feeling, used properly. Some lend themselves to it easier than others, but still.

The real reason Crush 40 isn't used here is that SEGA seemingly does these things not based on what fits, but rather what they currently seem to be featuring style-wise. One day the orchestral, Cash-Cash style will be as out as the old Megadrive synth style and Crush 40; when that happens, something else in turn will show up to replace it, simple as that. Styles change, times change. Is it 'better'? Depends what kind of music you like.

That said, the pop-Rock that Crush 40 uses is rather nichey, so, it makes sense why they dropped it.

20. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    God, I hope they make a return. If they don't fit with the game's mood, then I'm hoping for at least stage music. I absolutely LOVE Crush 40, and even if they've done their share of non-Sonic related songs, Sonic's still what keeps them going. What I was thinking they could do if they end up doing the main theme would be something like Sonic Heroes. I found that song to be a nice compromise between a lighter Sonic game and Crush 40. It was a little different than accustomed, yes, but it still worked out fine; in my opinion, at least.

Wait... Not counting Black Knight, Crush 40 hasn't released an original Sonic song since 2005. Damn.