don't click here

Shining Difficulty

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Flygon, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Flygon

Flygon

[​IMG]
    <!--sizeo:23--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">[/SIZE]RELEASE TWO IS OUT!![/SIZE]
    An example of the Kane battle... sped up 8 times.

Indeed, Flygon takes another stab at hacking, but rather than making a game that will crash in any emulator except Kega Fusion, I make a hack that attempts to deal with absolutely moronic AI that does no justice in making the game harder.

Thats right, I am hacking Shining Force.

Release two has covered Chapters 1 to 6, right up until Mishaelias castle (Which, honestly, is the most brutal battle I've ever played in a Shining Force game). I'll list some changes below.

Promotions are only at level 20, mainly for end-game reasons.
    The promotion level cap is level 20.
    Shops have been changed around, and made more expensive.
    Some characters have been nerfed/buffed.
    Some of the AI has been edited (Mainly in Mishaelias castle), and the monsters and their starting positions, overall, have been made MUCH tougher.

And one last thing, please NEVER use Egress for training purposes, I designed the hack specifically for Egressing out of complete and utter danger or Max simply getting raped by monsters.

The first few battles indeed have some utterly hopeless AI, but this will be cured sure as hell in the next release!

<!--sizeo:20--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">[/SIZE]CLICK HERE FOR A LINK TO THE ROM![/SIZE]

Credits (Pretty much all of them are from Shining Force Central however):
    rubixcuber: Making the hacking tools needed.
    BigNailCow: Teaching me to trace and find certain values, which helped MASSIVELY in finding the promotion level cap, and any other cap listed.
    Balbaroy: Beta testing and support.
    Lord_Oddeye: Beta testing and support.
    Rusty: General support.
    Flygon: This wouldn't happen without me.

2. Flygon

Flygon

Bumping because otherwise no one will notice the update. :v:

3. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    could've asked me to bump this topic too ;)

*downloads* ^^

4. JDAdams

JDAdams

Oh, Flygon here = Flygon there. Now how did I miss that...

5. Flygon

Flygon

[​IMG]
    I'm getting around to documenting where the palettes are. Its a pain, because the game seems to have a different palette for each enemy, despite the fact they always share the same colours half the time. :argh:

But this is proof I am working on it, or at least, documenting the game.

<!--sizeo:20--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">[/SIZE]STOP THE PRESSES![/SIZE]
    Its come to my attention that Balbazak drops his Doom Blade! Please drop it whatsoever! This is an unintended bug!

I really need to find that 'what items drop' table.

<!--sizeo:20--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">[/SIZE]NEW UPDATE![/SIZE]
    This fixes the Balbazak bug and expands the game to the Ancient Tower, have fun!