Shenmue the Animation

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Oct 8, 2021.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    English:

Japanese:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I am excited, and maybe in the first time in 7 years, hyped.

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Dragon Team Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    oooh I cant wait for this! I know only Shenmue 1 has been confirmed but... might this be the way to "finally" close shenmue story, if it goes well and they adapt Shenmue 2, 3 .... and so on? I have no hope we're gping to see the end of story in game form so... might this be the way Yu Suzuki can finally tell his story?

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Okay, so it's a straight-up adaptation of the games. Cool, and I'm always hype to see more Shenmue, but is there any reason for me to watch it given I've already played the games to death and know the story inside-out?

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Isn't there a portion of the story only told in manga? If they include that, it would be a more cohesive way to enjoy the story.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

your robot's a no-bot Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    wiki wild wild west
    There's a bit on the boat between Japan and Hong Kong. And I guess all the bits in Shenmue games not yet made, depending on how much of that is still canon.

7. I'm excited for this, as it looks really good and will ideally end up covering both sequels. Should it prove popular enough, it could even generate more interest in Shenmue 4 in one form or another.

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The trailer already partially answers that question, but it was also confirmed a year ago when they first announced the anime was being worked on that it will include story elements that were not represented in the games. As far as what I meant by the trailer - you see Ryo before he got the injury on his face, as well as the clip mid-trailer with the bloody cut on his face. That is one of the backstory pieces not shown in the games that we know they're covering in the animation.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    [​IMG]

The anime is most likely retconning the intro of the original game to say that's how he got the cut on his face, as it's not there when Lan Di fights Iwao.

We see exactly one clip that could take place before this, with Ryo in what looks like a martial arts tournament, which I guess is something.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Good catch, I haven't seen anyone point that one out yet.
    It seems odd that Ryo would go through with a martial arts tournament so soon after his father died instead of investigating the murder, so it will be interesting to see if that's either an oversight or indeed a retcon.

12. Xilla

Xilla

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Member
    I reckon it's just an oversight - the tiger on his jacket disappears in several shots.