don't click here

SFGHQ to make an announcement

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Skyler, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion

Oh, golly. What is this?

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'll go ahead and say it, that was a worthless post. I am in no way excited for anything.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I was almost certain I would be able to predict the announcement from the video but I'm really not seeing much from "Thursday Thursday Generations something-release classic-only Thursday". At a guess someone's making a Generations fangame? Wait that doesn't make any sense (Green Hill and Chemical Plant in 2D!) so yeah I got nothing. Before I clicked on the topic I was thinking it was something to do with SAGE or Sonic Worlds but obviously the video indicates Generations.

No offense guys but Sonic Retro is more prevalent than you are so I really can't see you getting any major exclusive with Sega that we don't know about. It would be a miracle if so. The best guess I have is that some of you are playing Generations and you're going to video it live hence the promotion via Youtube? Seriously what is with Retro today and members talking about things they know about that we don't know about (same thing happened in the Sonic CD thread). I hope it's something good guys. I'll be checking back here on Thursday. Please let this not be a prank.

Off-topic here: did you guys play Hez's Sonic Classic? What did you think of it out of interest?

PS. If you guys are planning on leaking something Sega will torpedo your site (since you're already operating in a grey area). Looking forward to Thursday.

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    >Channel username
    SAGE 2011.

There I just saved us two days of tension.

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Uploaded by SonicAmateurGamesExp on 23 Aug 2011

And it turns out to be the bleeding obvious. I take it the Generations reference in the video is supposed to be a joke or something then? That renders my speculation irrelevant. I should have gone with what I initially thought: SAGE-related announcement. I still hope it's something good.

SPEED-EDIT: The thread's even posted in "Fangaming Discussion". I am a profound overthinker.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    An announcement of an announcement? Not this shit again. I can't wait to see if it's actually anything interesting.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    What a shitty ass trailer. Good thing there's still SAGE every year or else SFGHQ would probably collapse as a website. I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't been replaced by now. Ever since they got rid of demos off of their site back in '04, the site has gone to hell to where they're practically a joke now. Shame too because they used to be a great site.

Edit-

In a way, Retro has kind of replaced them though.

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Good thing it's a teaser and not a trailer then. I'd think a bunch of people who are constantly exposed to SEGA's bullshit would be able to appreciate something similar that pokes fun at it. (For the record, no, I don't have anything to do with this and didn't know about it in advance)

I am interested in your complaint about ditching the demos though, because I've largely always agreed that they were a good thing to have on the website to drum up interest in ongoing discussion in the forums. I think the justification for tossing them was that 90% of the demos never reached any kind of conclusion, so that's really just the way it is. I don't know if it makes the site especially worse, as much fun as it would have been to have the various Nexus, Time Twisted, <insert moderately high profile fangame here>, etc. posted to the site in some archival forms. I think I'll make a point to bring it up.

9. Willie

Willie

Considering how they kept the scrapped section, I doubt the fact a lot of demos for fangames not getting completed was the main reason. If anything, the fact they no longer accepted demos probably made making Sonic fangames more discouraging because it made it harder to stir up interest for projects. Did it increase the number of fangames in SAGE? Possibly, but that would be a pretty shitty way to do it considering how SAGE demos aren't even really archived anywhere. I look at a site like MFGG, how it evolved overtime in comparison to SFGHQ, and it makes SFGHQ's evolution look like a joke. Though I guess the one advantage SFGHQ has over MFGG is its forum that they later based their slogan over. :| THE SITE THAT GOES WITH THE FORUM! One of the worst site slogans I've ever heard of.

10. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It's an in-joke related to the fact that tons of people used to constantly ask in the assistance forum for various materials that were available on the main page. I agree that it doesn't really belong on the main page, it's too much of an ironic statement and probably too obscure to make sense to people outside of the already existing group. It does seem like a bit of a silly thing to really get riled up over though, and MFGG's main site is not something I'd be particularly jealous of if I were on site design duty. You know, the site has been kind of an afterthought in general for a long time... I'd like to see that change, and I think it's likely to get better since we are starting to get a little more regularity with updates. I think it'll probably wait until after SAGE though.

I don't believe SAGE had anything to do with the motivation for cutting out demos, and while the scrapped section is still there, I don't believe it gets updated anymore. But yeah, I'll definitely inquire that and see if we can't bring back a demos section and start stocking it with stuff.

11. Willie

Willie

I always thought the slogan was made to emphasis the fact they have a forum which obviously sounded extremely pathetic to me. Bringing back the demos sections would seriously help to improve the site, especially if they could bring back all of the old demos originally taken off of the site. Maybe if they even put the effort of trying to get a bunch of demos from previous SAGEs on there, it could help make the site feel like a good resource of more modern fangame projects. Retro is currently a much better resource for that and yet fangames isn't even this site's main focus. Also, the layout looks kinda shitty.

12. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    As far as I'm concerned, the layout looks fine, as it's simple and it meets its purpose. And I'm not really going to entertain the idea that these: http://info.sonicretro.org/Category:Fan_Gaming http://info.sonicretro.org/Category:Fan_Games are particularly useful pages for what you are talking about, because they just aren't. Some things you are talking about, I can see as a legitimate problem, but the actual layout and these comparisons with other sites... not so much. It really starts to sound a little inane once you get to that point. If you are going to compare it to another site, please post specific links and explain what it is you like about them that you don't like about SFGHQ.

If there's something specific you want to talk about regarding the layout, I'm all ears and I'll make sure it gets to the proper channels. And if you can say specific ways to improve on it, even better. Saying "The layout looks kinda shitty" is a poor way to relay your thoughts on that though, and I'm not going to burden anyone with that kind of prattle.

13. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Dammit SOTI.

Otherwise, if this is an announcement of an announcement of SAGE 2011, no doubt am I hyped. Then again, it could be random bullshit to stir something up, who knows!

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Who cares about SAGE?

RAGE is where all the action is at, anyway. Looking forward to this year's.

15. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    A trailer announcing an announcement?

I dunno if that's meta or redundant. Either way it's still lazy.

16. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Hmmm I wonder if they're satirizing SEGA with this...

17. Willie

Willie

[LINK]

SAGE will be from September 18th to the 24th. Considering how I'm starting college on September 19th, they chose a horrible date. <_<

I'll go into detail later tonight what I think needs work into the site. I admit stating "the layout looks kinda shitty" was a very broad remark that I should go into more detail on.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    SAGE I'll pay attention to (though that teaser was kinda lame, even with the intentional lameness), but to me SFGHQ itself hasn't been relevant for years. Seems odd considering I still check MFGG and Spriter's Resource (now expanded) for content. Looking at it now the site's layout still seems frozen in time.

I liked the community, it just got to the point where there was so little focus on fan-game development that they split the board in two. It effectively made MFGG's a no-nonsense development and resource board (hence the lower activity and up swell of less-experienced active members who found it through the main site) while Minus World became the refuge for everything else.

Mushroom Patrol: The Midas Machine (their community project) is making steady progress though, in large part due to how committed the leads are. I'm so glad to help out with it.

19. Willie

Willie

The fact they split it into two separate forums was a really odd move on their part. Back in late '06/early '07, I used to be semi active on the site where as I've never been active on SFGHQ. Thanks to the changes they made to the site, if you're not part of the fangaming community, there's not much you can do on the forum anymore which is rather uninviting. Then for the Minus World, it's essentially a forum community with nothing particularly special other than its community. While that's not a bad thing, it has no real theme or gimmick or anything to really stand out. Also, another reason why I brought up the whole statement regarding SFGHQ's community is because they practically advertize its community as if it were its main selling point because of the ultra shitty slogan. I've seen sprite comics made by 14 year olds with significantly better slogans and yet SFGHQ used to be a really major Sonic fan site.

That is definitely an awesome project they're working on.

Edit-

Managed my time poorly. I'll try to write a post regarding the layout tomorrow.

20. Willie

Willie

This was their announcement...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZN6STU2N8o[/youtube]

I guess this means there will be a Robotnik theme this year.