don't click here

Sega working on new Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi Big-Budget "Super Games"

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Azookara, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Figured there should be a topic for this, because it's kind of a big deal for Sega, all things considered.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-taxi-jet-set-radio-to-chase-fortnite-riches

So, free-to-play mass online revivals of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio in the works.

There's been a lot of mixed responses amongst people so far, and pretty justifiably so. 'Free-to-play', 'games as a service' and 'Fortnite' raise a bunch of eyebrows and jerk a lot of knees. ESPECIALLY with the worry of them including the ever-horrid idea of NFTs into the games (something not confirmed or denied in this report, but IMO will hopefully fall out of worry as that fad continues to rapidly decline).

But I do find it really interesting to see Sega put a lot of money and time into reviving what we know as beloved but fairly niche franchises. And honestly? A lot of JSR's ideas and mechanics would transition super smoothly into this format; particularly the ideas of turf wars, trick competitions, races, world exploring, custom graffiti designs, and events hosted by Professor K. And Crazy Taxi being a battle-royale of hundreds of taxis slamming into each other in competition for passengers and good travel times sounds like it could be an incredible thought.

They do mention it being 2-3 years away at least and could be cancelled, but I do wanna see what comes of this. Big stakes in these series! JSR growing through word-of-mouth from two poorly selling cult classics to something Sega thinks they can push like this is a crazy underdog story, haha.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Free-to-play and mass-online?

I'll pass, thanks.

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah this ain't it chief

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Crazy Taxi has been revived through the numerous forms of cash grabs mobile development has spewed out. I don't have confidence is this fad-chasing endeavor.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This being extremely big financial investments they're spending several years on tells a different story than quickly thrown together mobile releases, though.

I can't find it in me to super negative about any of this just yet, especially since I clamored for a hundred years to see a new JSR and think it's ideas could favor a multiplayer experience (CT is more up in the air on that). We've got quite a while before we'll see anything come to fruition on this.

Just thought Retro could use the news drop.

6. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

One and done.

This is why I'm not as big on the "Sega bring back this IP please" trend.

To be fair, JRSF was bundled with the original Xbox. That probably helped give it more exposure.

7. So incredibly excited to finally get a new Jet Set Radio! Not stoked about how long the wait might be though...

This has been a pretty great day for announcements. A WoW expansion I'm actually hype for after one that I minimally enjoyed and another that I quit a month in. Then JSR and Crazy Taxi, and finally Xenoblade Chronicles 3 which I'm vicariously excited for since my best friend is an uber-fan.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I never was a fan of Crazy Taxi, so that one is someone else's issue.
    With JSR, however, we'll see if it's good enough to play it. I don't mind the format, I only want to know if I can enjoy how it plays and the music that plays along.

9. Good point on the music, but with how imperative it is to the entire JSR aesthetic I have no doubt that the OST will once again be great. Hopefully Hideki Naganuma will return to produce some originals for it. I have no idea if Richard Jacques is still in the business, but I'm indifferent toward his involvement or lack of.

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

This is the weirdest reveal ever, considering how niche both series are. But hey, I'm happy with new big budget JSR and Crazy Taxi games no matter how faithful they are to the original games.

This is really exciting and honestly, I never would have expected this to happen.

Plus, who knows, maybe if the new JSR game does well, they'll finally port JSRF to another platform? Here's hoping.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Umm, yes, please: I haven't played that yet, and I don't wanna pay and own a big, fat, old XBox for a single game. It would be a lot better along with its siblings on Steam (because I don't expect Sega would make a physical copy of any game for PC ever again).

12. Yuzu

Yuzu

I'm in the same spot, I bought the original version to play on my Xbox 360 after loving the HD version of the original on Steam. While I only paid a few dollars for the game, it really doesn't run that great on the 360's original Xbox BC. Been meaning to try out emulation to see if it runs well on my system.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I have a feeling if they want to raise momentum for either of these titles, JSRF or Crazy Taxi 3 will end up getting console/PC ports.

The only problem is that both games have music licensing issues they have to sort out (obviously), but in comparison to the budget and expected profit for one of these "Super Games" I imagine that's pretty small potatoes.

14. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

I did that, and then wasn't a fan of JSRF despite loving the original.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is great though.

15. I didn't realise JSRF wasn't backwards compatible on the newer Xboxes (I've never written Xbox as plural - that looks so weird). That's a bummer since I'm planning on purchasing a Series X for Sega's pretty good collection of digital-only 360/PS3 games (and I never want to touch PS3 Unleashed again once I platinum it), and I wanted to finally try Gunvalkyrie and JSRF.

As for the current news, I do not begrudge Sega for attempting this model. Sega making a successful game is not a bad thing even if it's not something we like. The only problem is if the ROI ends up being high enough that Sega invests less heavily in traditional games.

16. Yeah, JSRF was jarring after playing the original. With time I got used to it, but it was certainly... a very different game.

17. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    The main issue about Jet Set, is that Hideki Naganuma, which was 50% of that game vibe, is in somewhat bad? terms with SEGA to come back to the franchise, also, he's working for the guys doing Bomb Rush Cyberfunk if I'm not wrong.

I mean, it can have "different" music, but it's not gonna be the same.

Now, Crazy Taxi... Hmm, that's interesting, they have tried the F2P model for years with it, it didn't seem to work. To be fair, I'd be more than content with a CT3 port to steam with proper resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio for the menus/hud.

18. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I partially agree with this, but only partially. If I listen to JSRF music, I only like the new tracks from Naganuma, Jacques and Guitar Vader plus a couple of the standalone tracks, but I hate or at least find utterly boring the most prominent part of the soundtrack where the Latch brothers were involved, and the remixed versions of the tracks from the first game, I may like them or not, but are usually inferior to their original version, they feel gimmicky and not necessarily more fitting with the new setting.

The music from the first game, on the other hand, I find it good in general save for a couple repetitive tracks that I can still listen to and enjoy, and, while Naganuma's tracks in that game are wonderful, they're not necessarily the best of the list, just the most consistent style because they're the most numerous ones from a single artist.

To put it simple, I think it's possible to have a good and fitting soundtrack for a new game without Naganuma's involvement; you just have to throw away the Latch Brothers and take cues from both previous games sticking to new tracks instead of odd remixes. Sega owns Naganuma's music from those games anyway, so they could add the old ones from him and stay new with the rest. They could also listen to the Jet Set Radio Evolution playlist from SilvaGunner's channel to find good musicians for it, there are better remixes of the official games in that list than in JSRF.

Now that I mention JSR Evolution, I wonder if that could be the game they're gonna make, or if the guy from JSR Online Multiplayer fangame will be involved.

19. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Thought I was the only one who had this opinion. For me JSRF felt like playing a Pac-Man sequel where there wasn't any ghosts.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I think we had this conversation on the Boom Rush Cyberfunk thread, where I said the lack of graffiti sequences in JSRF esentially removed half of the original gameplay, the half that required more skill. But I get it improved controls a lot and made cool and big enough maps to find its own love. Also, another thing I preferred from the first were its more vibrant colors. I guess a new artistic vision and a new gameplay twist were needed for what was essentially a remake of the original game. Yet, while JSRF is called "Future", I still fail to see it futuristic enough compared to the first game.