don't click here

Sega: Sonic Quality to Be 'Fixed Over Time'

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by STHX, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Because they're publishers mainly, even if they still make some games. Publishers don't want good games, they want games that can bring them a lot of money and cost as little as possible, regardless of the quality or if it's going to fuck up the franchise. So like it has been said before alredy, it's 100% business and nothing more.

And I still think that Mike Hayes is lost. I wonder what will he say next week, which will surely have a topic of its own here as well, which in will also turn into this kind of stupid argument that we already know perfectly what we all said but we kept repeating because we don't want to stop arguing.

In short: hurray for letting us get trolled by Sega :P

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's a terrible comparison. Smash Brothers was made entirely with multiplayer in mind.

That's what's called a simple game. Your general audience isn't willing to pay $60 dollars for something simple. They want something more to be added to it. Old games extended a game's life span by artificially creating difficulty. (See: Ninja Gaiden). As the technology advance, so did the presentation and developers can now offer something more to extend the lifespan of the game like cutscenes and dialogue rather than put some bullshit eagle over a bottomless pit with a jaguar right behind you.

The only way that could work is if SEGA just makes a simple game available as a budget downloadable title, much like Capcom's Bionic Commando: ReARMED. Simple game, cheap price, tons of fun.

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    So what's wrong with doing that?

4. Limited market, and I still think there's a bit of a division of stigma between retail games and downloadable games.

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    A lot of stigma. There's people who won't buy games that they don't own a physical copy of (more of a matter of DRM really though), and there are people that think that retail should have been dead long ago already.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I didn't say it was wrong.

You're confusing big retail games with simple games. The market is limited, yes, but it's still large enough that smaller projects can make a profit.

The point of the downloadable games is to offer small, cheap, simple games to the consumer without having to fund the project with a massive budget that's usually goes into making retail games nowadays.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm saying that Sonic games should be made with it in mind then, if the reason that questionable gameplay is tacked on is to draw out the game more, since it would be much easier to accomodate.

Or just give a stage editor like Trackmania does. That would be cool too.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Profit only happens with big companies though. If you're an indie and attempt to sell the game through a portal or something, the portal will eat most of the income (if you sell the games directly, of course, this doesn't happen). Sure, there are a few indie games that are successful but most fail miserably (although I do agree that many of them are lame clones with really bad marketing in most of the cases >_>).

9. Hello everybody!

I personally think that the future of gaming will be in downloadable medium, and retail games will become a base for that, companies will release fewer and fewer retail games and instead release content to add to them as well as full games that can be downloaded. We're already seeing that in Xbox Live/PSN, but it is still in its early stages and if SEGA were smart they would start releasing more new games on the consoles and computers, I don't count the VC/emulated 8/16-bit console game in that, as good as some of those games are, they are just rehashing old games.

And Keeping it Simple/Stupid would be SEGA's next best bet, create a simple sonic game that would appeal to everybody and get everyone interested in new SEGA and Sonic games again.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Which is exactly what we're talking about. Which makes the rest of your post irrelevant.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And I believe this would be the death of gaming. People today are still watching films from 70, 80 years ago - the games you're talking about (like the Live/PSN stuff) sure as hell won;t be playable in that time frame. And for this exact reason, Sega (and everyone else) should continue to release solid media versions of any titles that are available as a download option, even if they charge more for them.

12. Of course companies will still relase solid media, but downloadable media will become a bigger part of gaming, it already is, look at the amount of full games titles you can buy on the Marketplace/Playstation Store/Wii store ect, even directly to your computer. I not saying I like it, I like own a psychical copy of the games I play, but being able to download full games or even budget titles directly to your PC/Mac and consoles will start to become more mainstream.

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You can download games straight into your mind?

HOW HAVE I NOT BEEN AWARE OF THIS GLORIOUS TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCE BEFORE!?

14. Okay, I misspelled that. LOL. I meant a physical copy. I've been up since about 5-6pm GMT, the consequence of working night shifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.