don't click here

Sega: Sonic Quality to Be 'Fixed Over Time'

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by STHX, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Right but what I'm saying is your opinion is no longer valid. In Sega's eyes, anyway.

I agree with you man, the new games are awful. Thankfully, I'm not invested in them because I outgrew the series when it died.

People who are holding onto the notion of Sonic getting better...I don't know it's like "dude, let the new generation play new Sonic and you just enjoy the good games."

That's why I like the idea of this site. Sonic Retro. Embracing the Sonic that I know, not worrying about the new crap Sega is dumping out.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    My age has nothing to do with anything if a game plays like ass.

My 7 year old sister hates Sonic 06. I hate Sonic 06. Am I still wrong here?

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Wait... People hate medals? Of all SU's flaws, you pick medals? The counts for normal stages could be cut down slightly, but, other than that, medals work fine. Explore. This isn't SA2- there are alternate paths and secret rooms.

This is the kind of attitude that led to Metroid Fusion. Linear crap isn't fun.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I can't find it funny that you've bitched at me in more than one thread within a small time frame? I didn't realize that was one of our rules. I can't say I wasn't asking for it, but damn. At least I can admit when I'm wrong, shouldn't that count for something?

Either way, yeah, I see what you mean. Sonic games are definitely more complex than they used to be, but even so, the games' content is more linear and less complicated to compensate. Compare the level maps and gimmicks of the older games to that of the newer and you'll realize there's a lot missing nowadays. Aside from a coat of paint and the music, levels in modern Sonic games feel more interchangeable than they used to. Let's take a look at what sets the Sonic Unleashed daytime levels (360/PS3) apart from one another, apart from their general theme.

Apotos has a loooooooong grinding segment.
    Spagonia has balloons and more loooooooong grinding segments.
    Mazuri has pole swinging.
    Holoska is one of the most unique in that it's one long sled ride after dealing with slippery terrain, with some water running in between.
    Chun-Nan has a larger emphasis on platforming. There's also water running. And rockets.
    Adabat has water running. And lots of it.
    Shamar hardly has anything setting it apart from the other levels.
    Empire City has way too much grinding.

Several of these levels share chase battles, dash panels, QTE's, and traps/hazards that can just be reskinned into something else. Unfortunately modern Sonic levels all have too much in common to really stand out.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Cool story bro.

There's nothing wrong with collecting the medals themselves. It's the fact that they're mandatory to advance through the game that's bullshit. Just like Sonic and the Secret Ring's bullshit that you have to beat specific missions in the game before you even get to advance to the next level.

6. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Nice edit. Speedy!

Maybe the new Sonic games don't appeal to everyone in the target age range. Did I ever say they did?

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I added an additional line, is that a problem?

No, but you say that my opinion is invalid because of my age, yet it appears that others in the same age group share the same opinion.

I've shared 06 with a lot in my family in the same age group. They don't like it either.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Do I have to dredge up that post I made about declining sales?

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I feel that it'd work if it wasn't an arbitrary barrier. Go back to Apotos with the Light Dash to unlock the Peel-Out before you can scale a wall without rings or space for building speed before you can reach Adabat... I'd support that.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well, I'm done being wrong about everything, goodnight folks.

11. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Okay, well maybe your family is a little Sonic obsessed. I informed SEGA, they added you guys to the "YOU DON'T MATTER" list.

I don't really care anymore, all I'm saying is people need to stop acting like Sonic wasn't for the kids, because it always has been. Go and quote me, yo no care-o anymore.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I'm not acting like Sonic isn't for kids. I'm saying that they can be for kids, but they don't have to suck.

I mean fuck.

<div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Kid friendly game, very fun, quality all over the place.

Oh, and it appealed to everyone.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hm, "very next" makes me wonder whether or not it'd be worth mentioning that this is really not that much different from what Mario 64's entire gameplay hook was, only the game gave hints as to where the "medals" were.

However, it would have been a lot better if like in the Wii version they actually gave a couple medals for completing a level or getting a high enough rank. I'd certainly admit that'd probably be closer to the spirit of what SM64 was doing.

But I really can't tell at what's being argued any more.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Mario 64 gave you a bunch of levels to clear after you collected enough stars to go through a door. It didn't require you to get all the stars in the first level before you can even try the next one.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Most medal requirements were a lot lower than "all the medals in the level" though. Hence I usually had several levels to replay if I needed more emblems, which was maybe twice in the whole game.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    It's an exaggeration.

17. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    The thing with Mario is, you can put him in any costume or give him any object and he'll be accepted. Give Sonic something new, like Caliburn from SatBK, and people become very critical. That's one of the issues with Sonic.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    That's because power ups is a staple of Mario. And in no way was the image intent towards adding items to Sonic.

It's a grown man in a bee suit. I'm sure you could figure out what I was implying.

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Sonic gimmicks invariably suck.

20. So, you could say, Mario is a furry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.