SEGA References in pop culture.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Lobotomy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. GamesMaster also covered the launch on the Saturn with a impoter

2. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    So, the ever-diligent @Deathscythe has been hard at work lately, and added a very curious entry to our Refs to Sega/Television article. I uh, just wanted to share the image here. i think this is what they call cursed images.

[​IMG]

3. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Was a Dreamcast in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie? I skimmed through the movie and found nothing. Closest one was 2:58 but nothing visable to a Dreamcast there. Additionally, google searches just leads me to that one Reddit page that is linked on Sega Retro, which doesn't hold enough merit for me.

Heh, can read more about it here: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/07/muppet-babies-its-only-pretendo.html

And here's Slap Shot in MacGyver:

4. I already put it up onto Sega Retro a while ago, but I think it still deserves a shoutout here:

[​IMG]

I picked up Duck Game from the recent Steam summer sale for £2 (yeah, a 2015 game this late, I know) since it has a lot of homages to Sega in it, right down to parodying the TradeMark Security System screen and using its font for its menus. Its soundtrack even uses a ton of instruments and samples from other Mega Drive games, like Comix Zone, ToeJam & Earl, Earthworm Jim and Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

It gets even more bizarre when you find out that the version of Fantasy Zone that was represented here is Tengen's unlicensed NES version, primarily due to the episode's focus on the NES.

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    Uncle from Another World is an anime about a Sega fan who returns to Earth 17 years after being isekaied, unaware that Sega is out of the console business. Lots of Sega references, including actual Sonic 2 footage in the first episode.

6. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Judging from these pop culture references I've been adding, it seems the iconic games per system are:

Mega Drive: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat, NHL
    Saturn: NiGHTS into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Virtua Fighter 2
    Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, 2K Sports

Kind of surprised at the lack of Sakrua Wars or Sega Rally.

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I guess this counts...

Jump to 13 min 10 secs

8. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Sonic mention: