don't click here

SEGA planning "Revival of major IPs" in road to 2020

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 15, 2017.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Speaking of Virtual On, they are making a new one for PS4 and Vita. Granted it's a cross-over with A Certain Magical Index, but still, it is making a return in some form. And at least it seems like it'll basically be a Virtual On game just with an anime plot attached to it.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea that's fair, I didn't think of that. But yea those titles would work well for like, digital downloads or something.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    From a Japanese perspective, Virtua Fighter and Sakura Taisen.

It's a difficult one to quantify as Sega weren't really known for making a bazillion sequels (unless the word "Sonic" was in the title). Sega Rally might be a candidate. Ecco and Streets of Rage were big sellers on the Mega Drive but I can't guarantee Japan would see it that way.

Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun and After Burner are notable but not necessarily as "franchises". And then you come to the realisation that one of the really big money makers on the Dreamcast was NFL 2K1.

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

I am so excited for what could come out of this, tbh.

Here's hoping for Jet Set Radio Future on everything, and a potential third game.

Also OutRun 3 please

Sega really has the potential to release lower budget reboots/sequels of their arcade titles on PSN/XBL/eShop/Steam. I have no idea why they have never done this, and instead just ported games.

5. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    A JSR game that continues with the street art focus (which is maybe not as big now as it was back then but I think people would still find it interesting) but adds present-day flair would be amazing. Each artist could have a different focus; maybe having one focus on pastel-punkish/kawaii/Harajuku-y designs with bright colors and such, and having another one who's into more subdued 80s/90s retro chic, like vaporwavey, future funk-y stuff, old VHS/analog TV looks, stuff like that... I know it's a little vague but god, it could really be amazing. And with a soundtrack to match, too; you'd of course want Naganuma to work on it, probably Richard Jacques too since he contributed some great stuff to the soundtrack...
    God, just thinking about it has me excited. I'd love to see a sequel like that!

6. Flygon

Flygon

Just base the whole concept on Melbourne. Add enough smashed avocados to the game until it sells like smashed avocado. :v:

On a more serious note, it's important to remember that nostalgia works on 20 year cycles. This is probably the best chance and timing SEGA has to revive the Jet Set Radio series.

7. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Wouldn't it make sense to simply reboot those franchises, then? That's probably the best way to re-introduce the IPs to people.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sakura Wars on PC when

also M2 port of Virtua Racing to multiple platforms when

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    In 1999.

10. Instead of posting a list of what I would like I'm just going to say; "I want to believe."

Still surprised Sega never really whored out their Dreamcast library that much. Saturn I can understand.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably. These franchises have been dead for so long that a sequel would be out of place anyway and might be held back too much on trying to stay true to the original. Let's just hope it's not a NiGHTs esq reboot.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Space Harrier 3 please.
    OutRun 3 please.
    Monster World V please.
    After Burner Climax 2 please.
    Bare Knuckle IV please.
    Jet Set Radio 3 please.
    Skies of Arcadia 2 please.
    Shenmue HD please.

Also buy the rights to Blinx and make a Blinx 3 because Artoon was basically entirely ex-SEGA staff so that totally makes it a SEGA game.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I know. But I don't know anywhere near enough Japanese for that.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I want an Afterburner game that isn't a rail shooter. I want it to retain all of those elements, but be able to actually fly, Ace Combat style.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    No love for the Shining Force series? :(

Though I've only played the 1st two, I think SF2 had the best formula IMO - from looking into how the rest of them are like; I've never liked the the fighting style of the Final Fantasy series (and clones).

At the very least, I'd love to see an Indie game do a Shining Force 2 clone that we can get on Steam.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Shining series isn't a dead franchise though, it's just that most of the recent games haven't been released outside of Japan. Though also they're pretty far removed from what Shining Force was like so they're probably not really what you'd want anyway.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I was hopeful the Heritage Collection from 2012 (SA2/JSR/NiGHTS) would be the start of something good, but I think the sales figures canned that initiative, sadly.

18. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I certainly hope Ristar is among the IPs they're talking about.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Streets of Rage 4 please Sega. Or Streets of Rage Mania in association with Bombergames. Hell, just release the existing fan-remake as is and everyone would be happy. Jet Set Radio too though I'd be hesitant as Smilebit doesn't really exist any more. I think remnants of the team are still at Sega so they could still give it a shot? And Ristar definitely. Most under appreciated Sega game ever. Also Alex Kidd in Miracle World/Shinobi World HD remasters/remakes. I would say Wonder Boy/Shenmue but both have returned.

Really hope this is genuine and honest intention as opposed to empty marketing speak. Would love to see some awesome games come out of this.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's not empty marketing speak. This is stuff they told their investors, and they'd probably get in more trouble if they didn't deliver than if they just told this as PR.