SEGA Nomad Charging Solution

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Rosie, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    So I have recently picked up the glorious Nomad, and I'm looking for the best way to actually play it. I'll definitely get a sexy new screen at some point, and I'm kind of interested in getting the battery mod done, so I can play the thing for longer than an hour, but my Googleing only shows up people modding the rechargable battery pack (I only have the standard one).

So my questions to you lovely folk are thus: How possible is it to mod the standard battery pack into a beastly rechargeable one? Or where can the PowerBack be found in the lowly UK? Failing that, what's the best way to keep the hungry beast satisfied on bus journeys?

Much love!

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    Interested in hearing an answer to this, I've only ever played mine on the mains. =P Combined that with the AWFUL battery life of the standard kit, and yeah.

3. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    This.

Also, I've seen a screen mod, and it doesn't make that much difference in my eyes.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

A D V A N C E Resident Jester
    Japan
    I don't know about those rechargable batteries, but;

I brought my SEGA Nomad to a barcade once on Duracel AA batteries, 6 batteries to be precise, I believe it lasted around 4 hours in total. HOWEVER, these batteries being the "life displaying" kind showed that only one of the 6 batteries actually drained out, leaving the other five still full. In essense, I practically change one AA battery per every 4 hours.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think it's just because the device needs a certain voltage to run. It'd be cool if someone could figure out how to get the thing to run on a lower voltage.

6. Retroman

Retroman

Is it normal that I saw a Robotnik-Shrek image zoom in slowly while playing Cinematic Music on this page, or am I infected?

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yes. Cinossu's having some fun.

8. Retroman

Retroman

I guess he went Ogreboard with the joke, so I ended up getting a load of this.

9. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I put 6x AAs rechargeables into my Nomad's battery pack. The old batteries were fuxxed but the charger circuit is still good, however its just timer so it will overcharge the new batteries if you let it charge too long. I'm getting some 4 hours out of it, but I have done some mods to the unit, one involves LED backlight and other replacing the CPU for more power efficient version.

10. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I encountered someone at a local classic gaming swap night a few months ago, they had gutted the internals of the official rechargeable battery pack and replaced it with a Lithium-ion battery of similar voltage/current ratings. He said it was from some digital camcorder, and he used the AC adapter from the camcorder to charge the pack. He also replaced the screen AND its backlight (converted to LED instead of the fluorescent tube); he said he got like 15 hours or something out of a single charge, maybe even more.

It was too bad that the replacement screen he used only pulled from the composite video signal, because it had bad ghosting and exaggerated contrast :/