don't click here

Sega Neptune

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by MSX, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    It would be fairly easy to do, since all you've have to do it take a Mega 32xCD apart and shove them into the same box.

2. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    I'm surprised Tec Toy hasnt already built this.

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I know someone who was actually interested in pursuing a license to manufacture the Genesis 32X/Neptune with the original case design in mind a couple of years ago for a limited production run (maybe 10K units or so.)

It did not, I believe, end well.

4. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Homemade Neptune:

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Mega Drive was known during development in Japan as 'Project Venus' because it was originally the Mark V. I've never been able to back it up with anything credible though.

I know the Nomad was also known as Venus during development in the US though too.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    As far as I know, the Megadrive was always Mark V, since it was following the Master System family. The planet project came up in the nineties.

If you want to go with rumors though, the Megadrive was considered "earth" as it was the center piece, and the Sega CD was the moon (see: Sega CD bios).

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I think most of us here would want the actual Neptune model than something like this.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Still, that is a sexy little model, and I like the way he put the machine together, and the blue light too. That's really cool and exactly the sort of product I was talking about.

9. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Yes but that mod still looks bailing as shit. Seriously if Sega had released the Neptune instead of the 32x and Saturn they might had still be making consoles today. Imagine that the next generation 32bit machine from Sega was backwards compatible with their Genesis library? Hell if they wanted to use CD as well then make the Neptune a Genesis/CD/32x machine. It would have still been cheaper to produce than the Saturn and it would had have the extensive Sega Genesis library and it would have had the great 32x/CD hardware to make good games. The reason Sega CD and the 32x failed was because they were expensive add ons with barely any good games, but had the new Sega system had them from the get go it might have been different.

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    the playstation still would have kicked sega's arse, they tapped into the zeitgeist and expanded the market at just the right time with just the right software.

But you're right, it is infuriating that the Saturn was not backwards compatible with the mega drive and cross compatible with the 32X. Every other generation transition Sega made from the SG-1000 included backwards compatibility of some kind. The 32X could also have had more relevance if carts had worked with the Saturn (possibly even unlocking extra content).