don't click here

Sega Neptune

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by MSX, Jul 29, 2012.

1. MSX

MSX

Lives on the internet. Member
    Ever saw a real one? I did in person and got a couple of pics. I posted these on the ASSEMbler forums already, but I'm sure here they will stir even more interest.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, sorry I couldn't really get more. Really only two angles since it was locked away in a big display case with other things. Of course something like this they would lock behind a glass cabinet.

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    That is very cool !

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I like it. Shame Sega fucked everything up after the Genesis.

4. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Kinda sucks they left all the scuffs and crap on it. :/ Oh, Sega.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

notice how in the front of the console it reads "Genesis 32X" and not Neptune...I wonder why that's it

6. dsrb

dsrb

Because Neptune was only a codename.

7. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

UK
    I really wish SEGA would just rerelease the Mega Drive with 32X included. They have so many shoddy little officially licenced Mega Drive copies out there with problems like poor emulation or poor sound with insufficient ports and single controllers and they could just make a proper Mega Drive with 32X addon, have proper RGB support, with like, 6 built in games and a port for the old actual carts, and sell them with the SEGA licence as an obvious selling point, and they would sell like hot cakes.

There are people who always want to buy Mega Drives. I see families buying them all the time- all the new iterations though. My workmate's have them, hell, even my brother got the 6 in 1 blue and red controllers about 6 years ago, and it's clear there is a major demand for these titles -and personally I think even the hardware- even on top of ports and releases on actual current consoles like the Wii, 360 and PS3.

Mega Drives are still obviously popular. Ebay is chock full of them (old and new) and look at all the different modern versions:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All they need to do is release an actual one, make people spend a few quid ore here or there and add a 32X functionality. Collectors will buy it, dads will buy it, children will want it (Because it's Sonic), it will be one of those items that will be added to gift catalogues like I Want One of Those,and I think overall it would be well recieved. It would be a cheaper alternative to the newer consoles from a trusted brand, and that is something which I also often see and hear about- parents who have younger children bu don't want to spend £130 on a console for them to play a few games.

Frankly, SEGA should have the ability to do this. I'm not a financial expert, but I really think it would be a good idea for SEGA to invest in.

8. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Is this some kind of museum? It's a pretty cool find anyway.

9. dsrb

dsrb

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Yes. At that time, Sega had a space theme going on for product codenames. The 32X was project Mars, and the Saturn didn't get another name. Sega planet codenames shows what we know now.

11. dsrb

dsrb

Not going to happen.

Because whoring out the license to some manufacturer with less than stellar standards for QC is a lot cheaper than manufacturing their own faithful version in-house.

Except not, because adding all that would cost a lot more than just sticking a few crappy games on a chip with a bad emulator, and I can't imagine the majority of people buying said knock-offs being willing to shell out the extra for a proper system – a lot extra; I mean, really: look at what you've asked for – when they probably only bought the quasi-MD out of nostalgia and/or a cheap way to keep the kid(s) quiet for a while (cf. TV Boy and one period in my childhood, for instance).

Most of the rest of your post is just stating the same hopelessly optimistic wishes in different ways, so skipping that:

If they did and thought it was worthwhile, they would have.

I'm sorry, but that's clear. I'm not one either, but I don't see it ever working. Someone with more knowledge of the nuts and bolts can regale us with specifics if they want, but that's my general instinct.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wonder why Sega won't just release proper technical specifications then? Let the knock-off manufacturers make even better knock-offs, with a paid license of course.

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Many knock-offs are built out of remaining stocks of official Sega hardware (specifically the 315-6123 ASIC).

14. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    IIRC the patent on the system lapsed a few years ago. The copyright for the games and branding remain of course.

It's a matter of implementation - some clones are built out of remaing stock, but others (e.g. At Games) are programmed on a single chip in a similar manner to programming an emulator. So the crappy sound and glitches are down to bad design on the developer's end. It's cheaper this way, since generic parts that are plentiful/smaller/less power required etc can be used.

15. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

UK
    It doesn't need to be an exact replica though. Why is it so hard for all these officially licenced Mega Drive manufacturers to just put a stereo cable connection on? Why is it so damn hard for them to add 32X functionality too A lot of thse Mega Drives nowadays are emulated which is obviously cheaper so why can't it be done?

Frankly, I don't think SEGA think much outside the box given their current circumctances and the shedload of money they've lost in recent years. They're playing it safe, but I totally stand by what I said- rereleasing a better version of the Mega Drive and amalgamating all these different versions out there currently and just adding a few better bits and bobs would greatly improve their sales. I played one of the new Mega Drives recently and the sound is horrific. It's not like I'm the only one picking up on it- the public have too. I've been reading up reviews and speaking to people and the consensus is that if they just had better sound and picture quality it would be a hit. Adding 32X functionality and creating something a bit different can't be that hard or expensive.

This technology is already dirt cheap nowadays. If they had released better Mega Drives recently I wouldn't have resorted to buying a used Mega Drive I, and SEGA would have earned that money. That little mega Drive I posted (first picture) looks fucking tasty, and I would love to own it, but it's the picture and sound quality that gets me.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The 32X has all of, what, 27 games? It's not cost effective.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

often the real thing™ Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    It's wiki time. There's no need to be afraid.
    That makes it interesting - you can track all the places this particular Neptune has been

such as
    http://www.gooddealgames.com/articles/CGE2K3/Sega_Neptune.JPG
    Classic Gaming Expo2K3 in Las Vegas

http://www.I-mockery.com/minimocks/e3-2011/DSC_4820.jpg
    E3 2011

... unless they all had white marks on them

18. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    The thing is, the 32x was never terribly well received in it's time, and along with the very few amount of games actually released for it, they would never be able to advertise it as a feature. For most people, the whole 32x functionality would go over their heads, and would only appeal to us nerds.

They'd be better off releasing Chaotix on digital platforms, but even then, only a handful of the Sonic fandom would buy it anyway.

19. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, the lay(wo)man will hear ‘32X’ and react with either ‘wtf is that’ or ‘lol fail', I suspect

20. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I remember seeing a hack that someone had made where they put a 32X inside of a normal Genesis so it acted like a Neptune would. Because of that, I've always wondered if it was possible to do it with the Sega CDX to have an ultimate Genesis unit.