don't click here

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Apr 20, 2016.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The Z80 seems to process a "little bit" faster than it should, it's subtle though. The 68k is either overclocked beyond belief, or the bus access between the 68k and z80 is completely borked (I think the former). I'm also under the impression that the YM's DAC emulation requires the sample data to be sent to the chip at a specifically correct rate, 22,050hz seems fine, other rates seem to cause a bit of jitter, in fact, in the original Sonic 1 title, the drums sound off, almost as if they're playing at the wrong starting point (we know it's not a banking issue, as the samples in Sonic 1 are stored in the z80 itself, so it's something else). The PSG also sounds higher in tone by a touch, but that's probably just me...

The emulation is not as bad as I thought it would be though, I was expecting raster H-blank effects (like slit scanning) to go to complete hell, but it seems to hold up somewhat OK. I'd imagine excessive use of it may cause unwarrented behaviour though. All in all, I am surprised.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I kind of want to upload my old hack, but I don't think I want to go through all the trouble of installing steam and buying Sonic 2 again.

3. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I've been reporting the non sega ROMS like squirrel king and ninja turtles. I hope other guys continue to do that so we can get the list cleaned up. I ain't flagging for wrong author though cause that'd require me going to each wiki page and looking at the author of each hack and checking if it matches that steam name. Then you never know if that is really them using a different name for steam. I didn't use mathuser for steam originally so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I've been doing the same except I have been flagging for wrong author unless they actually have permission. My biggest clue if they arn't the author is is the real one already uploaded, or in the description it says they didn't make it.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Also, you can look at the Workshop submissions users have made. So you can see if they uploaded different rom hacks by different authors.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Still, I wonder if a generic "Sonic Retro" account should be created by someone of the staff, to help people like me and Rika.

Someone trustworthy of course, which means that MathUser is automatically disqualified.

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Well, I asked amphobius to upload mine for me, and he has done so, with a little note at the top of the description saying that I have given him permission to do so. I don't have much of an issue with that, myself, as it allows others to play it without myself having to install Steam, purchase a game, install the Workshop tool, etc.

See here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=675258656&searchtext=

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I would support this (although it might be a little late?) - it would be like having that blue tick on Twitter so you know the account is "real".

You could use it to force a little consistency with screenshots or whatever too.

9. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    I've been loving what's been coming out of this - so many cool things out there that I never knew of/

This brings some of the awesome hacks I've only heard of (like Metal Sonic Hyperdrive) in a much easier way of getting them, Emulation seems solid too!

It's actually kind of made me interested in doing some text / visual hacks for stuff I hadn't thought of before. I'd actually be kind of keen to edit sprites and text for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine... but as far as I can see there's not that many tools for it? Or am I wrong?

10. nineko

nineko

italy
    This is the best you can get. Which, in turn, links to an older topic.

11. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Probably an easy way to go about this is an "Official Sonic Retro Collections."

Stuff in the collections are official works from retro that have been uploaded with permission or by the author themselves; etc etc, so on and so forth.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I can do this. It's a better solution than making a Sonic Retro Steam account because having to switch between those two would be annoying.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    I would be alright with you uploading my hack, TimmiT. You're a good guy and I'd appreciate that. Maybe add a link to this post to prevent some SOBs from reporting you, even though we all know that people never read descriptions and will report you anyway.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh, I meant making a collection page on Steam Workshop listing all of the hacks made by people on this site. But I can do that too. :v:

15. MathUser

MathUser

Why would you have to switch between the two? Upload all the hacks at once, it'll be a long time before you have to do it again cause hacks don't come out that often that are worthy of the wiki. Especially with your strict rules for what is accepted on the wiki. It's easy as shit to upload a rom hack why do you think ClassicSonicSatAm64 and others are uploading them so fast. It takes a couple minutes.

Also, why does Nineko get to attack me and why is there no button for flagging his post? This shit ain't supposed to fly on the forum.

Edit:If you aren't willing to maintain a Sonic Retro specific account then you aren't the one to do the job. You probably wouldn't be willing to spend the money to rebuy sonic 1 - 3k either.

16. MathUser

MathUser

What did I do to you Nineko? You mad cause I said you look like Dan Castlenetta? You mad cause I told the staff not to give your power back after you consistantly asked to be relieved of power? You got what you asked for, you can't be mad cause I told them to finally do it. It's what you wanted. I don't know why you came back asking for it back when you knew you really didn't want it.

17. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Pardon me for making a post that will likely be split and trashed, but I believe I speak for quite a lot of people when I ask this--

What the fuck is wrong with you?

18. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Its a real shame we cant upload completely unique entries wiuth custom covers and cart art :(

I've uploaded my own thing that I made as a side project last year http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674701228

I've stuck it under SoR2 being as most people will have that from the free promotion a few months back.

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    There are several things wrong with your post, MathUser. I know it's not my place, and I will accept any negativity as a result (of potential backseat modding), but I'm going to write this anyway:

1) What if people don't want there hack uploaded to Steam, even though it's on the Wiki? That's why it's happening one hack at a time, with confirmation from the hack creator in the first place.

2) '...hacks don't come out that often that are worthy of the wiki'.

Wow, who are you to judge what is and is not worthy of the wiki? It's not your wiki, it's the community's. I just think that your comment is incredibly rude to other hack developers/creators.

3) 'Especially with your strict rules for what is accepted on the wiki'.

Now this is where you've begun a sly, underhanded jab at the staff of Retro. I am NOT backseat modding (let me make this clear) but was there any need for this?

4) 'Also, why does Nineko get to attack me and why is there no button for flagging his post? This shit ain't supposed to fly on the forum.'

First, it's 'nineko' with a small n. Everyone else is nice enough to quote your name correctly, at least have the common decency to do the same back to others. Second, retro has never had a 'flag post' option, to my knowledge. Besides, I don't see what the problem is; nineko doesn't trust you, and he's said so. It's not like he's insulted you or anything.

5) 'If you aren't willing to maintain a Sonic Retro specific account then you aren't the one to do the job. You probably wouldn't be willing to spend the money to rebuy sonic 1 - 3k either.'

No-one has said that, nor implied that, though. In fact, TimmiT explicitly said 'Oh, I meant making a collection page on Steam Workshop listing all of the hacks made by people on this site. But I can do that too.' This implies that he misunderstood the situation. It does NOT imply that he's incapable of doing so, if he so wishes. Also, that second little jab at the end (r.e. buying the Sonic games on Steam) is also uncalled for. People who try and claim the higher ground by taking pot shots just look weak as a result, and that's exactly what you did with this post.

EDIT: If this gets put in the trash, that's fine. I just think this behaviour is uncalled for.
    EDIT 2: Trash please. I don't know why I bother sometimes.

20. MathUser

MathUser

If someone said "You're not trustworthy" to your face you would react somehow too. Don't deny it.

For the record I pm'd a staff member about ninekos post. He came in looked at it and left without doing anything, so I figured the only way to respond to it is to make a post about it.