don't click here

Sega Mars Sample Program - Runlength Mode Test (1994)(Sega)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vangar, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangar

Vangar

Here's something I haven't seen before, I didn't know if this has been discussed here or not but there's a 32x 'Mars Sample ROM' containing a 3D model of sonic:

[​IMG]

Does someone want me to upload this ROM, or is this already well-seen?

Thanks,

Evan

EDIT: The ROM is tiny, so I uploaded it anyway. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D58KFA1U

2. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I think this might be documented already, unless I'm thinking of those early X-Treme models.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I know of a MARS sample ROM but I don't recall about any 3D Sonic model o_O And not, that isn't the Xtreme model.

*downloads ROM*

EDIT: I checked the ROM, and indeed, it isn't the test ROM I was talking about (which was the Star Wars one). Screw it. Also holy crap if that's hi-poly for the 32x o_O Is it me or is it the Sonic the Fighters model?

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: um, doesn't seem to be the exact same model, although looks very similar... Maybe an earlier version?

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Huh, oh wow. That's awesome. I could probably do that kind of thing too... if I weren't so goddamn lazy :V (I do have a 3D to 2D point algorithm with rotation and stuff like that for Plan 9 from Bell Labs and could port it to 32X.)

What is this from? I haven't seen it in the SDK on Hacking CulT, unless I'm really missing something.

Also this demo appears to be entirely Main SH-2 (68000 infinite loop of NOPs, sub SH-2 just a loop of moves). Slowpoke.

Code (Text):
    1. ; slave SH-2 loop:
    2. mov.l (010, pc), r1
    3. mov.l (r1), r0
    4. mov.l (008, pc), r2
    5. mov.l (r2), r0
    6. ; branch back
    7. ; data
    I don't know, someone help :V

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    What's up with the polygons in the eye area? Is it just a basis for making Sonic's normal eye shape? It looks like the polygons protrude a bit.

Also, something to note when comparing Mars' and Fighters' Sonic figures, the Fighters' Sonic has cylindrical socks and wrist glove portions along with a realistic looking hand structure. Mars uses a flared style for the socks/wrist and seems to have a spherical hand structure. Isn't the 32x supposed to go beyond what could've been done for Fighters? :psyduck:

6. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. Would it be possible to locate and convert the data for the model into another format? (I.e. something plaintext like .X)

7. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    I'll load it into IDA and take a look... unless Vangar has the source =P

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Where in the world did this come from? I don't remember ever seeing this before.

9. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    This is unexpected AND awesome.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I thought this was widely known... but I see I was quite wrong.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Perhaps it's related to same trick they used on the Saturn? It was discussed by Christina in one of the Xtreme threads.

12. Kiroziki

Kiroziki

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    *gasp*!
    *GASP*!
    !!O_O!!
    I... this... is what was missing in my 32X!

14. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Holy shoot, those concept levels are amazing. Something I would totally expect (and want) out of a 3D Sonic game. :v:

15. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Those concept gifs, while kind of neat, just seem to remind me of Bubsy 3D. :E

That model seems way too advanced for the 32X, it has even more polygons than the Sonic jam one, doesn't it? (Not taking the sprite based tricks used in the GIFs like adding 2D hands in at the end of both of them when they zoom right in).

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Those gifs are awesome.

17. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Sorry, Charlie, those are already known. The YouTube link at the end of the Sonic Mars wiki page links to video-ized versions of these GIFs.

Disassembling has confirmed that this demo is entirely Main SH-2. I am still going through it to see how the model is stored. If we're lucky, it uses the GNUSAMPL library code from the 32X SDK.

18. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    All I can say is, that's an awesome way to use run-length mode that never occurred to me. Flat-shaded polygons, of course. :P

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Not by a longshot. Sonic the Fighters was a model 2 game. The model 2 spanks the Sega Saturn, which is more comparable in all actuallity to the model 1 (although they're completely different architectures). The Saturn spanks the 32X. So that should give you an example of how far behind the 32X was from Sonic the Fighters.

20. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Then again, you could make a model hack of Virtua Fighter...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.