don't click here

Sega making non-Sonic films/TV shows of its videogame IPs

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Beltway, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Wanna see the likes of Altered Beast, Rise of Nightmares, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, and Crazy Taxi at your closest silver screen or on your television set and not remakes/ports of existing games to modern consoles or new installments? If so, rejoice because Sega's got you covered! :v:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/12/12/sega-hires-evan-cholfin-to-adapt-its-video-games-for-films-and-tv

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Jesus they'll make a movie out of anything these days.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    To be fair, when it comes to games it's mostly Sony Pictures. They've been picking up lots of game licenses to make movies out of, including Mario recently. Also the Sonic movie is coming from them.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This could be the revenue stream SEGA apparently needs to start actually making video games again. Could be. Maybe hopefully. My hopes are very low, but I would loooove if they could pull off a great Crazy Taxi movie.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I wasn't referring to Sega or Sony specifically, more just Hollywood in General. But I don't see how a Crazy Taxi movie could work or how interesting an Altered Beast game would work either. But hey, if they're good, bring in some money, and revive some dead franchises then go for it I guess.

Jet Set Radio would make an interesting movie, I wonder why that's excluded.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Or a Shenmue trilogy!

...Maybe one day.

7. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Very much like to see a series based on Skies of Arcadia Sega, please thankyou.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually Ya come to think of it they're picking the wrong franchises. As fun as streets of rage and crazy taxi are (and whatever altered beast is that game looked like crap to me. Oh and golden axe), I can't help but feel jsr, skies of Arcadia, and shenmue would make better movies. Streets of rage is just a generic beat em up story and crazy taxi doesn't have a story.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I can see Streets of Rage and Crazy Taxi being fun and cheesy shows/movies. Shinobi could be also be fun, but I can't see Rise of Nightmares or Altered Beast being much good. I'm not really a fan of either though.

10. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Altered Beast could work if it was done like a cheesy low-budget 1980's fantasy/horror flick. Don't know about Rise of Nightmares; never even heard of it.

Will be interesting to see what comes of these. Doesn't hurt to generate some interest in older games.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well yeah, it was a Kinect game. :v:

Basically it's a survival horror game in which you use the Kinect to walk around and such. Never played it myself, but it got some pretty negative reviews. I think House of the Dead devs might have been involved with it, but I'm not sure about that.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I demand House of the Dead movies. Couldn't be much worse than what we got before.

13. Elston87

Elston87

I'm raiding witches. Member
    Crazy Taxi TV show? Just add All I Want as the opening theme and I am immediately sold. :v:

I think that Jet Set Radio would be a better choice for a television show rather than Streets of Rage, let alone a movie, due to having a rather unique theme and quirky characters. Interesting proposal by Sega, though; could this be because of Sonic Boom?
    /unlikely

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Those three exactly. Especially Jet Set Radio, although I think many would buy a six-movie Shenmue series if it was Yu Suzuki's story.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If they'd do a Jet Set Radio or Skies of Arcadia movie or show I hope that it'd be animated. I can't see either of those working well in live action.

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Actually, I think a schlocky take a la House of the Dead: Overkill would work quite well.

17. Retroman

Retroman

I don't like this idea. Video games need to be kept to video games.

They don't work. The reason being is that video games already have a plot. It's hard to expand it without adding new characters and plot devices. And that makes it hard to do a continuation unless there's expanding of characters personality outside of the games.

Things like Dragon Ball Z was firstly based on the manga, which had these cliches like chinese folklore, shooting energy beams though hands, flying, magical items, anthropomorphic soldiers, young kid turning into a great ape at the sight of a full moon, names based on food and things, turtle hermit, floating island with a guy that calls himself kami with an african called mr. popo, power levels, character development, backstories and the fact that Akira Toriyama could add new things to it without it breaking off from the main story, like the Namekian race, Super Saiyan stages, afterworld etc.

What SEGA needs to do is this. HD redrawn versions of 2D games that keep it up to todays standards (without sacrifising the nostalgia), with redesigns of levels, better physics, added features that were scrapped due to hardware limitations etc with online multiplayer, and do it through multiple platforms.

Games that will benefit are Sonic the Hedgehog HD, Sonic CD HD, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD (There's a fan-made version of it that's really professional and awesome!), Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD, Streets of Rage HD, Toe Jam & Earl HD, Earthworm Jim HD, Contra: Hard Corps HD, Golden Axe HD

They can draw an interpritation of sprites, or they can use a 3D model to recreate it. They need to be creative, and keep it faithful to the art styles of the time.

Example: Ocarina of Time 3DS. Sure, it's a 3D LOZ game, but it sold a lot. Why? Nostalgia. Re-releases don't work as well. If they can make a full set of popular games in HD, it will make them king of the retro gaming industry!
    They need to do it, no if's, no buts.

Sell it on the iPhone, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Android, and on PC. Give it regular updates.

In-fact, I will email SEGA this idea.

Update: Here's the email I received from Sega Support UK:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Europe.

Unfortunately we are unable to accept suggestions for game ideas; SEGA can only accept proposals from developers and development studios.

Thanks again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any query regarding our products.

Best regards,

Product Support
    SEGA Europe Ltd.

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I was about to suggest having a film of Golden Axe (and maybe Shining Force?), which I thought would be awesome - perhaps something like STC's version of Golden Axe.