don't click here

Sega Japanese genre icons

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    As some of you may know, Sega placed little graphical icons on many of their Mega Drive, Mega CD and Game Gear boxes. I'm collecting them, as you can see by my signature. However, I'm having a very difficult time finding high-enough-resolution icons for these two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sports and strategy. Anyone know where I could get good scans of these two, or of any other genre icons I don't have?

EDIT: Genre collection so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well, someone could make vector versions of that icons...

Something like this?...
    [​IMG]

4. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    That works, but I imagine the strategy one would be more difficult to pull off. :X However, there seems to be very few titles that even had that icon to begin with. Argh.

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    So far, I've found Strategy on Advanced Daisenryaku, Ambition of Caesar, Sangokushi Retsuden Ransei no Eiyuutachi, Super Daisenryaku and The Hybrid Front. Obvious candidates like Herzog Zwei don't bear it, which is a pain in the bum.

Another genre icon to be aware of is Education. It appears on the Art Alive cover, as seen here:

[​IMG]

6. Langrisser II Also bears the Strategy label (The first one has no label). The Shining Force games, however, have the "RPG" label.... weird.

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

don't know if its harder, but the problem are the details in the main part of the tank, the tank is pretty regular in shape after all... and the back are just hexagons.

If someone could get me a higher res for that one (don't really need to be that clearer, but I cant really see the details in that one after all) I would like to try a vector version of that one.

That one seems pretty easy to vectorize...
    [​IMG]

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm no artist, but isn;t the moustache off centre?

Otherwise awesome.

9. Elratauru

Elratauru

Yeah, I knew...I was Just a little lazy to fix it.

Ok, fix'd:
    [​IMG]

10. What are those things on the end of the mustache? The middle of it is off too. The lines on the hangy-thingy (brain farting atm) should be tighter and identical in spacing between the items to the spacing between the top and bottoms of the cap. Which also needs some work because that's not a weird angle and there shouldn't be any aliasing. That line I'm referring to also kind of looks like the angles might be different or the depth of the line on both ends is off. That last part might be my imagination or a result of the aliasing. I'm not being a dick and I'm aware that it was a real quick job, I'm just pointing some stuff out to make it better.

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

You said all, Im not even trying to being a perfectionist here, after all, at that size (the original), its impossible to diference a round corner with a square one.

12. And you work on Sonic 2 HD?

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Watch the original icons again, I don't even have a reference. We have the original artworks for S2HD... also, we're not just retracing the sprites, Its all about interpretation my friend.

14. I was kidding, bro. No need to get defensive.

But they're pretty simple icons. If people weren't already tackling them I'd be glad to do some myself.

15. Elratauru

Elratauru

Oh, the lack of emotions or emoticons like ":P" or things like that made me think otherwise...You know, its hard to get jokes over teh internet.

Anyways, yeah, pretty simple stuff there, Feel free to try!

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Added your snazzy versions, Elratauru. Thanks!

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hey guys, guess what, Inkscape really is fun:
    [​IMG]

I never used it before, but it's not that hard to figure out.