SEGA considering Shenmue III

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by OSM, Jan 30, 2010.

1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The website PS3Center.net is citing a report from Japanese magazine Famitsu 360's recent developer issue as saying that Sega hasn't totally lost hope on another Shenmue.
    No quotations are cited, but the article notes that Famitsu sat down with Sega brass, and franchise did come up in conversation. According to the piece, Sega does think about a new entry from time to time, but fears of another flop keep them from pulling the trigger. Shenmue and Shenmue II did not sell to company expectations, and that is the driving force behind not going forward.
    But the PS3Center article does speculate:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> Sounds like Sega is hoping that one of the platform holders fund it, perhaps in return for an exclusivity deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But you may remember that in North America, Shenmue II was exclusive to Microsoft's XBOX. It appears that did not help Sega or Microsoft, so there may not be interest there.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/29/report-sega-still-considering-a-third-shenmue/" target="_blank">http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/29/report-...-third-shenmue/</a>

In before Lobotomy shits himself. Anyway, this is great news. Nice to hear SEGA is considering another entry in the series.

EDIT: I've been using TSSZ a lot lately. Is that a bad thing?

2. Shade

Shade

Doesn't someone at Sega say this just about every year? Though this is a slightly more solid and in depth statement.

Seeing as how the Yakuza series isn't doing too hot in the states, I don't think it's a good sign for things to come. And just as Shenmue II was a Xbox exclusive, the Yakuza series is PS3 exclusive. Neither one has benefited from exclusivity in the states as far as SEGA is concerned.

But god damn it, if Shenmue III dropped, I could die content. Shenmue is in my top 10 games, easily. Keep making those petitions, guys = /

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    <!--quoteo(post=402843:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:08 AM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Jan 30 2010, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=402843">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: I've been using TSSZ a lot lately. Is that a bad thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone would say no. I would say Yes and use the original source or at least slowtaku. They have a hairline more cred.

4. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But you may remember that in North America, Shenmue II was exclusive to Microsoft's XBOX. It appears that did not help Sega or Microsoft, so there may not be interest there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That might have to do with the fact that it wasn't exclusive to the Xbox; it was originally a Dreamcast game and came out both in Japan and in Europe, THEN it got ported to Xbox.

I would love for there to be a Shenmue III if only for closure and to know the end of the story since the series was meant to be a trilogy, but I don't have confidence in SEGA in regards to making the game good enough to be worthy of its title. Sure, their games have been getting better recently, but I still don't feel like they respect gamers and their own series enough to try harder.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'd just like the end to the story in SOME form, be it game, book, film, etc. It's like having Matrix, and Matrix Reloaded, but no Matrix Revolutions. It's like having Back to the Future Parts I and II, but no Part III.

But it needs to be a game, because I WANT TO FIGHT LAN DI!

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh my God.

This year can't get any better. I love Shenmue just as much as Sonic, possibly more.

Oh, and I DID shit myself.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    this seems like quite a stretch in terms of reporting. This is a report on speculation based on off-hand comments.

8. Shade

Shade

<!--quoteo(post=403012:date=Jan 30 2010, 11:24 AM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jan 30 2010, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=403012">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this seems like quite a stretch in terms of reporting. This is a report on speculation based on off-hand comments.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->[email protected]

9. Neoblast

Neoblast

This isn't new news, sega never stopped considering shenmue 3 , it's just that it's too much of a financial risk to make it, so they have been waiting for some company to support the project.
    Sales didn't do too well, specially on xbox...
    Maybe they could test the market by releasing the first two ones on xbox live arcade and psn, if it sells well there then make S3

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Sega says the game will likely happen if one of the big three subsidize the project, which also grants whoever does exclusivity:

<a href="http://www.destructoid.com/sega-says-they-ll-trade-exclusivity-for-shenmue-funding-162125.phtml" target="_blank">http://www.destructoid.com/sega-says-they-...ng-162125.phtml</a>

Pretty much, this is Sega saying, "We'll do it, but if it fails it won't hurt us as much financially." Microsoft seems like the obvious choice as this could be the Xbox's answer to the Yakuza series on PS3.

11. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    <!--quoteo(post=403499:date=Jan 31 2010, 09:15 PM:name=GeneHF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneHF @ Jan 31 2010, 09:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=403499">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty much, this is Sega saying, "We'll do it, but if it fails it won't hurt us as much financially." Microsoft seems like the obvious choice as this could be the Xbox's answer to the Yakuza series on PS3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->There may be a rather slim chance of Nintendo funding it though. They NEED more third party developers. Not getting any hopes up though, the greedy Scrooges that they are.

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Would you WANT that? Imagine Nintendo's response to getting a plot-driven, cinematic title they could market to casuals using "it's like a movie".

You'd have cutscenes, minigames, and QTEs in a completely linear fashion. And a good chunk would be a recap of the first two.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Let's face it though, it would never sell on Nintendo. The audience for this is just not there. This is the same platform where several games the gaming populace defined as good and worth buying died because no one else bought it... didn't Madworld make something of around 9,000 copies sold?

I just don't think Nintendo would be a good choice at all. I would be all over Sony just because of all the crap they could slam on a Blu-Ray, but the PS3 is a bitch to program for and Sega seems to have a hard time with the system. Microsoft and the 360 would be the safest and most logical choice, especially considering Shenmue deviated over to Xbox for its second installment and I think it's one of the games supported on the 360's BC List. Their audience would be there.

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I swear, it's like Sega has some kind of self esteem issues. Shenmue is basically Yakuza on steroids (and with more sailors... or less?), which they know will at least sell in Japan.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    <!--quoteo(post=402881:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM:name=Kurosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurosan @ Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=402881">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love for there to be a Shenmue III if only for closure and to know the end of the story since the series was meant to be a trilogy, but I don't have confidence in SEGA in regards to making the game good enough to be worthy of its title. Sure, their games have been getting better recently, but I still don't feel like they respect gamers and their own series enough to try harder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sega's AM2 division was their sole lifeline for quality titles up until just recently, they've never really failed to deliver. Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's baby, and he's practically the Sega equivalent of Miyamoto. I really don't see any just cause for doubting the game's quality here.

Not that I really care. I still haven't played any of the games.

16. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    <!--quoteo(post=402881:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM:name=Kurosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurosan @ Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=402881">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love for there to be a Shenmue III if only for closure and to know the end of the story since the series was meant to be a trilogy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it was meant to be a trilogy. Over the span of the 2 games that are out, only 4 out of the 16 chapters are playable and one is merely mentioned at the beginning of Shenmue 2.

17. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Now if only sega would wake up and make a Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle 4. But we know that would never happen. RIGHT?

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    <!--quoteo(post=403640:date=Jan 31 2010, 09:10 PM:name=Lobotomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Jan 31 2010, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=403640">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=402881:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM:name=Kurosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurosan @ Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=402881">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love for there to be a Shenmue III if only for closure and to know the end of the story since the series was meant to be a trilogy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it was meant to be a trilogy. Over the span of the 2 games that are out, only 4 out of the 16 chapters are playable and one is merely mentioned at the beginning of Shenmue 2.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, what, does Shenmue suffer from Metal Gear Solid cutscene syndrome, or am I missing something here? :psyduck:

Anyways, I was one of the unlucky few to not have a Dreamcast back then. In fact, I never had a Sega Console sans Game Gear :(

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Basically Shenmue is going to be told in 16 chapters, 5 are finished. Shenmue had Chapter 1, Chapter 2 was in between Shenmue and Shenmue II and 3-5 are in Shenmue II.

20. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Shenmue 3? ...I'd kill for that Saturn Shenmue version first! Its a shame It was never released because of the dc =(

Anyways, Shenmue is awesome.