don't click here

Sega CD Audio Interference

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jason, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I've been chalking up my sound issues to 3rd party cables by mistake apparently. When taking the Model 2 CD attachment off my Genesis 32X, there is noticeably less sound interference when playing Genesis or 32X games. Is there a DIY solution to this problem, or am I to assume those hard-to-find external RF shields are my only solution?

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The noise happens because of bad grounding between the machines, those metal plates that originally came with MCD are there to fix that issue.

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Funny, my Sega CD didn't have those two small metal clips (mounting bracket and Model 1 expansion plate, yes; RF shields, no), and yet I've never noticed any noise. Maybe it's there and I've not paid any attention; maybe I'm just so used to the Genesis buzzing all my life that I never paid it any mind; I dunno.

4. Jason

Jason

Mine came without them, because it came from a flea market for $10. Is there an easy way to make my own grounding plate, or is there someone making them I could buy from? I'd rather not have to scour eBay to buy another CD just for the grounding plate.

5. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    MD2 has carbonated contacts that prevent corrosion, but also have issues with creating good contact. MD1s mostly use normal tinned contacts and will not suffer this issue, but corrosion may be an issue (both galvanic and normal oxydation).

6. Jason

Jason

So, barring buying a Model 1 Genesis or another Sega CD with the grounding plates included, what are my options?

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Making grounding plates yourself?

8. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Scrape off the carbon on the 2 edgemost pins on the Exp connector, so that you start seeing shiny orange metal.

You can see how I have done it to all the pins on this photo :
    [​IMG]