Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jan 2, 2010.
Um,...you're welcome? :v:
How is your project going by the way?
kinda slow right now since I have to fix all the palletes and add the ending animations (that means im being lazy)
I really like this hack. For a start, the graphics are great, but you've heard that from a lot of people already.
Now, what interests me is how you changed the flow of the game with such a small change. When I play Sonic 1, I usually rush at full pelt; spinning into my enemies and bouncing off them to get further. But removing the spin changes the entire way I play Sonic 1. I have to be more cautious, and keep my finger on the trigger button in case my jump puts me in the path of an enemy.
As for Robotnik... he killed me. He killed me twice over, and I was soon faced with the game over screen. But I didn't care. It was so enjoyable to play something as fresh and unique as this. Keep at it!
Taking advantage of the bump:
This is really, really impressive stuff here. I'm usually never too thrilled to see a sprite-swap, but I'll be damned if I don't say anything besides "Wonderfully amazing, 110%." Way to go! Definitely looking forward to more stuff from you.
Thanx fellas. :D
Glad people like this, I was worried there wasn't really enough on here for a proper update.
Guess the wiki is down right now.
Truly a work of art. For some reason my brain just couldn't accept jumping didn't kill though. Never thought I'd die from Eggman trying to escape in the Final Zone.
And now for a FOUR YEAR bump to finally release another update of my first hack.
* Sally now has a projectile attack as in Sonic 2 (special thanks to Snkenjoi again). It works more or less identically, complete with added duck and downward fire abilities.
* Sally can now hack Sonic 1! Use the B button to use NICOLE's scan mode on monitors and other obstacles. There's not a great deal of objects it works on so far, but it's worth being creative and seeing how they have affect.
* Some cosmetic refinements such as palette and sprite tune ups.
* The scan mode doesn't always work perfectly on certain objects, I'll need to refine my programming to work out the bugs.
* For some reason, the projectile is buggy close range. The object doesn't delete, meaning you see it bounce off enemies. It also for some reason doesn't activate scan mode point blank.
* The projectile seems to be recognised as the player with the bumper collision, meaning Sally bounces if you shoot them.
Update is on the wiki.
Bugfix revision added:
* Collision bug fixed.
* Bug concerning projectile collision with bumpers fixed (thanx FraGag).
* Bug which causes hackable objects to explode into animals when invincible fixed (don't know how I missed that one :P).
Update on wiki as usual.
I dig the scan update, pretty neat feature for Sally.
Thanx. I'm wondering whether it overpowers Sally however. She can skip a lot of the puzzle aspects of the game now (which you'd think would be the part that best fit Sally), and with the long distance projectile, I'm not sure even her inability to spin evens it out.
Not to mention her controls are a bit cluttered now. Opinions everyone. Should anything be streamlined or given the (blue) boot?
Uploaded bugfix revision:
* Rev 01 graphics added.
* Level select order fixed.
* Omitted a couple of objects NICOLE could scan due to buggy programming and making Sally's gameplay a bit too cheap.
* Scan mode now deletes when firing at objects, preventing bug where effects turn on and off again on objects due to laser flying for too long inside them.
* Most of the demos rerecorded (SBZ2's credits demo is still buggy due to timing issues with the cylinders).
* Bug causing Sally to be able to smash certain objects while running fixed.
* Bug causing NICOLE's laser to collect rings fixed.
* Sally's jump height while downward firing in water fixed.
* Minor pallette fixes for certain sprites.
Minor bugfix update:
* Fixed bug that allowed Sally to destroy Marble Zone blocks (how did I miss that one? :P).
* Fixed bug where Sally's landing animation doesn't activate underwater.
* Got SBZ2's ending demo to work at least semi-competently.
* Minor palette tweaks.
* Minor tweaks to Sally's stats (mostly to make her slightly slower but with better acceleration/deceleration).
I've also followed S2+K's direction and added a couple of hidden bonuses exclusive to Sally. Not very elaborate, but points for anyone who finds them.
Had to upload onto Sendspace since the wiki isn't letting me log in for some reason:
Pretty cool that you are still updating this hack. Her hacking move seems like a great feature. How about a youtube video?
It was my very first hack, so I want to keep fine tuning it and making it as perfect as possible. The tweaking will likely never stop (I have plans to update some of my other character hacks accordingly).
This is the most recent video, not of the current revision, but shows the newer gameplay in action:
Oh, so the hacking only works on monitors. If you get bored you should expand on that. You could have it control obstacles or badniks. B button could hack the nearest badnik and then you start moving them.
It works on a select number of different objects, though my programming is limited. You can shoot at switches to save jumping on them (or to hit them from behind a wall) for example. Most of the other objects are in the second half of the game (I intended to make it work on a couple other objects like freezing the moving glass blocks in MZ, but the programming was so complex it only caused glitches).
I don't want Sally too god modded anyway. Altering power ups and finding odd shortcuts seems a big enough bonus (the badnik manipulate ability is taken by Silver in Aquaslash's hack anyway).
Buen hack. ahora quiero ver a Bunnie, Rotor y Antoine en Sonic 1.
Good hack. Now I want to see Bunnie, Rotor and Antoine in Sonic 1.
If you want to see that happening, you might as well do it yourself, rather than demanding other people do it for you.
Funny you should say that:
It's not nearly finished but I've made some progress into her moveset.
Separate names with a comma.