don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If the files are there, and in the same format, there's nothing stopping you from simply replacing the files with the DC versions. Gamecube would be byteswapped of course.

Also for some reason, if I try to add Hot Shelter to Sonic's level list in Trial Mode, it doesn't appear, and makes Final Egg disappear too! However I can add Emerald Coast to Tails' list just fine.

2. Unfortunately, there are no FONTDATA*.BIN files in the DC or GC versions. Sega must have had some motivation to change the font which resulted in it being in a different format.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Hm, I wonder then if EFMSGFONT_ASCII24E.BIN et al are used in those versions, because I can't find any use of it in SADXPC (filling it with FF did nothing to any of the text). I do know the format of those files as well, but they don't have extra info telling you what image goes with which character.

4. The EFMSGFONT_* files are identical between the PC and GC versions. They do not exist in the DC version.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Oh. I don't have my SA1 image anymore, and I saw it in SA2, so I assumed SA1 had it too. Clearly SA1 is storing the font elsewhere then.

Edit: Maybe the EFMSGFONT files are SA2B leftovers...

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I was going through the disassembly of chrmodels.dll cleaning up the last bits of undefined data (everything is defined as structs now) and I found an animation for Gamma not referenced anywhere: at 293474, he does his "selected" animation from the character select and returns to standing.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I've figured out the NB files, they're archives, and I wrote an extractor. This will create a bunch of numbered BIN files in a folder with the same name as the NB file, and an INI file.
    The files with Type=1 are models, the address is (EndOfFile - sizeof(OBJECT)). They're in SA1 format.
    The files with Type=3 are animations, without the first header. Nothing can open them right now.

8. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Need Something for the Steam "DreamCast Collection" version.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I do not have access to that version.

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Well, I just wound up wasting tonight messing around with the font for shits and giggles, nothing serious. Then I started the game to see how it had turned out, and...

[​IMG]

Oh god, it's so unfitting! I didn't realize it'd turn out so... groovy. :v: I'll probably mess around with it more tomorrow, or at some point just to make it less-retarded/more presentable looking in-game.

MainMemory, just a quick question: I noticed quite a few symbols (in the English font) that, in the contents table, were either blanked out or appeared as that "unrecognized language" box-character. Am I right to assume you just didn't get around to filling out everything? Just found it odd that unlabeled symbols were either blank or 'unrecognized', instead of all one or the other.

Anyway, nice job with this program. Fun little time waster, to say the least. :)

11. Heh, you should try the S2 title card font :p

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The font file lists a UTF16 character for each image, the list simply displays the character.

13. I don't remember any NB files in SADXPC... What models they contain? Because I thought that all models are stored in sonic.exe and DLLs... ?_?
    Or are you talking about SA2 already? If so, why don't you create separate SA2 topic for this?

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    E101R_GC.NB contains E101mkII boss models, and EROBO_GC.NB contains ZERO boss models. They also exist in the Dreamcast version, minus the _GC.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]

I'm also going to put the Egg Carrier model in Sky Chase. This will all be optional.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Whoa! That looks great! Is this new version any faster than the older ones?

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    No, in fact it's slower because I haven't implemented clipping yet. It's basically the same as the old one, but the code is cleaner and it has more features.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I've found a bunch of Chao-related model lists, all SA2 format:
    Fruit models: 2FC05A0-2FC0628
    Cocoon models: 3200890-32008A0
    Headgear models: 32008A4-32008E4
    Item models: 32008E8-3200924
    Body models: 3200930-32009A0
    Jewel models: 32A8DD8-32A8E54

And the normal fruit model is in SADX format at 3206D00.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    In Sonic Adventure Japanese STG09.BIN:
    1C9E0 - cowgirl code
    1D98C8 - cowgirl model
    1DA468 - cowgirl animation

[​IMG]

Its spot in the object list is taken by "O NEON K" in the PC version.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL