don't click here

[SA:DX PC] Chao question

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SADXModder, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SADXModder

SADXModder

Is it at all possible to get a Chao to stay in one place, in one particular pose?

I'm making a website detailing how to hex edit Chao on the XBOX 360 (Live Arcade) port of Sonic Adventure DX, and I'm using the PC version to snag pictures of Chao.

However, all I can get are pictures of me as Sonic holding the Chao. I noticed on sites like Chao Island that the pictures of Chao are always in the same pose, with colors changed.

So is it possible? Or at least possible to freeze the game while the Chao is in a pose, but still be able to switch it's color instantly using the Sonic Adventure DX PC Memory Editor v2.00?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I found one way. I put a Chao down, he was standing. So I paused the game and he was completely visible. Once I used the modding tool to change his color/texture, it changed while the game was paused. This'll work for now, though I'm still interested to learn if there's any animation editing available for Chao.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There is currently no way to edit either the models or animations of Chao.

3. SADXModder

SADXModder

Damn. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to take all my screenshots using this one Pause screen I've got. That means all the textures from 01 to 7D (game freezes when trying to load texture 7E and above), as well as all the colors (with shiny, with highlights, and with both), and also all Chao hats being worn.

I've got images up on my site currently of all textures from 01 to 7D, but I didn't know about using the "Fix Window" button in SADXTrainer to fix my game window, so the images are off-looking, and all the Chao are being held by me.

Update: Just finished snapping screenies of all Chao textures, 01 to 7D, using the Snipping Tool to get a full window shot of each. Then I'm gonna cut 'em down to about 160x160, upload 'em all to my site under the same names as the old images (named 'em by their hex values, so 01.png, 0A.png, etc). Got abit of work ahead of me.

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Unless someone rips the chao models and pose them.

5. SADXModder

SADXModder

Well here's a taste of what I started out with, and what I'm now working on.

This is what I currently have on my textures page. Same pose in every picture of all the textures from 01 to 7D.
    [​IMG]

And this is what I'm currently working on, to replace the above. I've got full window screenshots of every texture. I'm using this as a base, and pasting each chao texture on top of the original chao, saving it as a new image, so evey texture image will look like this, but with a different looking chao.
    [​IMG]

For the 1st one, I switched my resolution from 1366x768 to 1024x768, fired the game up in Windowed 800x600 and started taking pics.
    For the 2nd, My screen is at 1366x768, and the actual game resolution is 1024x768 (I believe), with the "Fix Window" thing from SADXTrainer. Much cleaner looking.

6. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Correction: there's a way to edit the texture of the chao, but that's just about it on terms of visual hacking.

I've been wondering, HOW COME NOBODY RIPPED THOSE YET? We got 23 models of chao and not a single one been ripped!

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Textures are not models.

8. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    But they are part of the models themselves.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    They are rendered over the models, but are not part of the model data.

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    fair enough.

11. SADXModder

SADXModder

What I was looking for around here originally was a Chao Model Viewer that I could use to get good screenshots with.

Anything with the ability to use actual ingame textures, colors, hats, body parts, etc, would've been nice.

But alas, I've had to use what I've got. That being the PC version and the XBOX 360 version of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.