don't click here

S1 Boss Hitcount Editor (NEW v1.1)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Icy Guy, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    The other day, Mustapha gave me the idea to write an S1 boss hitcount editor. Seeing as it was something that I knew I could do, I gave it a shot (after he provided me with offsets, of course). So here you go. (Right-click to download.)

Props to LOst for the Labyrinth Zone hitcount offset. Now how about some S1 hacks with hitcount edits? ;)

EDIT (5/18): v1.1 is out. The "Unload ROM" button has been removed, and the maximum hitcount has been lowered to 127. Same URL.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I am not questioning the programs value. I am saying though that people won't go for something like this. Is sad as it is, 90% of the communities people don't have a clue of the value behind some things. I personally don't see the greatest value behind this editor, but that is just a rare occasion where I agree with the rest of the community. If you had level editing and art and a bunch of neat things, I couldn't guarentee that they'd feel any different about it. I do hope you keep this idea and put it into a larger and more flexible program that modifies many more things. That is your best chance at getting more attention. Otherwise, the majority (selfish snobs) will ignore you and not care. Yet they'll go nuts over assembly dump which doesn't do a damn thing to help hacking (you can't do any more with the assembly dumps of ROMs than you can with machine code). At least your program pushes the scene forward, even if it is in microscopic steps.

BTW: This post was not to offend anyone, but rather to speak the 'truth' about things in the community.

3. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Great job Icy Guy. (Seriously) I personally will probably never use it but it is a great idea none the less. Perhaps (with your help and permission of course) I could put it into my editor with proper credit given. Anywho, see if you can't do the same for Sonic 2 as well. The real thing I would like to see done is Metropolis boss final form? (after you destroy all the balloon bubbles and he starts shooting lasers) able to be set as the starting boss (as in by passing the first form? completely). I think that would make the ultimate Hidden Palace boss. Easy? Very. But awesome nonetheless.

4. Kampfer

Kampfer

Unless we figured out how to make him move in diffrent patterens.

When I do a hack of S1, I'll use this.

5. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    Actually, it would probably look better like this:

[​IMG]

But if you want to use the long names that's OK too.

EDIT: Looks crappy BTW 'cause my mouse is being a bitch and not doing stuff right

6. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Why would the movement patterns make a difference? Have him move the same way just have him start with the laser and make it take 8 hits to destroy it. Heck, maybe even just make the game auto-destroy his first form? before he ever comes on screen. That could work too.

7. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    saxman: I'm definitely going to hold onto this idea, for two reasons - (1) because it could turn into something much, much bigger (I'd like to write a multi-purpose editor at some point and maybe include this in it) and (2) it's something that's (mostly) a fresh idea. When I create something, I like to make something that nobody else has done before, or something that only a few other people have done.

Drakmyth: Eh...I'm not sure. Since it's my first editor, I think I'll keep this one to myself for the time being. However, one day, I may release the source, and grant anyone who's willing to give credit and notification that they've used my code permission to include this in an editor. Concerning Sonic 2, I'm thinking of adding support for the rest of the Genesis Sonic games, which means that Sonic 2 will be taken care of at some point. Concerning the MTZ boss, I don't know if it's possible to make the boss do that. Although if someone finds a way to make the boss do that, it would definitely be possible to code a portion of an editor where you could choose which form?? of the boss would appear first.

Kampfer: Glad to see it's going to come in handy. ;)

RattleMan: Here's my attempt to put a similar GUI into action, and I like the way it looks. Don't be surprised if the current GUI gets a makeover from the current, vertical-based interface to a horizontal one. Speaking of changes in the program...

I was going to release v1.2 tonight, but I decided against it. Why? Despite the fact that I added support for S1 Jap. and that would be a useful addition for some, I think it's kind of tacky to release a bunch of different versions of a program in a short period of time. I don't want to do that (even though I already did, to a certain extent), and I bet you guys wouldn't want me to do that, either. So, instead, I'm holding off on a new release until I add support for another game.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I didn't say not to hang on to it, but rather to make it part of something bigger. This doesn't sell -- it's not a bad editor, but it doesn't sell. Downloads will be minimal. You can make something you're proud of, but if people don't care much for it, it's kind of a let down. I just don't want to you wlak in the direction where you will be let down. I've done it too many times. You can do what you want AND satisfy the public at the same time.... it just takes strategy and I think you could definitely apply that for this idea.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please, add support for the hit counters of each enemy type...

10. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Reply to saxman:
    Its not that Im questioning or doubting your almighty knowlage of this editor or the purpose of it, etc (I mean, your one of the greatest oldbies in the sonic hacking scene) but to some people its all a matter of adding the finishing touch. If someone (for example) was making a "Super hard" version of sonic 1 they would probably change the layout, sprites, and most definately the hitcounts. I think this editor is not a must have but it is quite handy.

PS no offence Saxman

11. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    I have got this to work for Sonic 2. The only problem is once you hit the buzzer you can't damage him again, but it will be able to damage you.

link to buzzer.gs1

12. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Also, has anyone noticed when changing the hitcounts on Sonic 1 it creates a red screen in Gens?

13. Kampfer

Kampfer

You need to fix the checksum.

It's easy to fix, just use the checksum repaier to fix the problem.

14. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Yeah, I read QuickMan's "Idiots Guide" to CheckSum fixing. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    YOU READ IT?! SOMEBODY ACTUALLY READ IT! OH MY MOTHERFUCKING GOD! HOLY FUCKING SHIT, DUDE!

SOIL FOR TECH MEMBER.

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    whaaaa :blink:

17. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    LOL! Why does that supprise you? And you say SOiL for Tech Member - what could I contribute if I was a Tech member? I hardly know any hex (Yet.) and I don't think I could learn 68k ASM for a while.

EDIT - Forgot the quote in that one. And BobXP seems to dissagree:P ..And can anyone actualy see the picture in my sig?

18. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Because nobody ever fuckin' reads those things.

It's kinda an injoke, I guess. If you're incredibly impressed by something someone has done you say something like that, voting them for a position of relative power.

19. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Aah, thought it was too good to be true lol.
    And besides I read whatever I can so long as it has a relevance towards practicality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.