don't click here

RSDK Unpacker

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Glitch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I'm new on this and how can I repack the Data file back to Data.rsdk? I'm editing Sonic CD 2011 and I like to know how to put it back. Any help please

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I didn't want to bump this thread because it's like over 2 years old, but since you did me the honors of bumping it for me I'll tell you what I know. Use Retrun-Sonic to unpack and repack the rsdk file.

I'll also repost my question from the basic questions and answers thread since I haven't gotten any replies there: I've been trying to edit the sprites in Sonic CD 2011 lately using retrun-sonic, but when I edit the sprites they either don't show up at all on the screen or the palette and transparency are messed up. Is it because transparency in gif files is a thing? Do any of you have any experience with this?

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The game has a palette system separate from the images, otherwise it wouldn't be able to effects like waterfalls and flashing lights where the same pixel needs to change to a different color. Palettes are in the folder called Palettes. If you want to retain proper colors when making edits, use an editor with color table support like Photoshop.

4. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Is that it? I was having the same issue when I want to give Sonic a better palette (he's invisible when I change it up). So I really have to change the palettes with photoshop? Dear me...

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    That's what I thought originally, but this happens when I open the sprite file, don't edit it at all, and then save it. It's the same sprites and the same palette.

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    For what is worth, retrun is not supported by anyone here, and it will likely remain that way: as mentioned upthread, nextvolume/tails92 are known aliases of Shibunoa, the same one that attacked Sonic Retro a few years back.

7. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I still think your image tool is at fault. What image have you specifically tried to edit?
    I should mention that the game does have it's own Gif reading logic; it's not calling a 3rd party library to decode them. But on a quick inspection I didn't notice anything special when specifically looking for palette stuff. I just think the palette indexes probably need to be left alone and perhaps your tools aren't doing that. I can look into it more if there's a good reason to.

I believe his tool also has some problems with repacking anyway, and his file tables for Sonic 1 & 2 are incomplete. Perhaps at some point I can share my solution to making changes, but it's not in a state where that would be a good idea right now. (I used file redirection to avoid packing a new RSDK file when I posted the video of Desert Dazzle a few years back)