Rouge in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by AsuharaMoon, Jan 2, 2019.

1. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

kakyoin did you lay this egg Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    After taking myself 3 years to actually do it, and many more for others to see it come true... it's finally here:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

She plays almost exactly like Knuckles, although neither could be done too much with her.

Controls:
    • Down + A/B/C: Spin Dash
    • Jump + A/B/C: Gliding
    • Wall + Up/Down: Climbing
    • (Only in midair) A/B/C: Forced Rolling
    • (Only in midair or climbing) Down + A/B/C: Drill Drive

There might be some minimal oversights, including some stuff regarding adapting KiS2's gliding and climbing codes to S1. But at the very least it's fully playable, I can guarantee that.

Download (v1, Revision 2):
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/cz7j550z5g68y1s/Rouge_in_Sonic_1_(v1_r2).rar

Credits

• E-122-Psi: Coding and feedback (Thanks a lot for the cooperation! <3)
    • Zig Sonar: Original Rouge sprites
    • Mercury: Demo recording tool
    And for those interested in the sprites, here's the whole sheet I made!: https://i.imgur.com/IY7U8JV.png

Hope you guys like it!

CHANGELOG:
    Version 1: Initial release
    Revision 1:
    • Now the Drill Drive can break the MZ's green smashables blocks.
    Revision 2:
    • MZ's and SYZ's BGs from S1 REV01 are now properly ported. Since the hack was made using the REV00 disassembly, and I forgot to replace the chunks set.
    • Fixed the level order of the Level Select.
    • Slightly modification to the Life HUD.

EDIT (3/01/19): Uploaded a 2nd revision. Check the changelog for more details.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

I'll find the old avatar eventually Member
    Working on my art!
    This actually looks pretty legit! Nice work

3. LJSTAR

LJSTAR

Welp, as I've said on Discord, this hack is dope.
    The sprites are really good looking, it plays really well and even the MZ blocks has been fixed :p

Definitely a good reason to replay Sonic 1.

4. Knucklez

Knucklez

PC Engine Enthusiast Member
    Out of all the character hacks for Sonic 1, this has to be the best. Those sprites are flawless and her Drill Dive is sick. I also appreciate the fact that you used REV01 and you applied the Press Start Button text at the title screen which most people gloss over and disregard.

5. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
  6. Knucklez

Knucklez

PC Engine Enthusiast Member
    I realized that it wasn't REV01 after I saw the incorrect level order in the level select. I also see scrolling issues you mentioned. That's unfortunate and hopefully he could fix that.

And I know the PSB is a thing you can copy from a guide, it's just my biggest pet peeve with S1 hacks that don't fix that simple code error for something that was supposed to be there in the first place. It's an inexcusable oversight.

7. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    Thank you very much for all your warm comments!

As Clownacy said, I used those guides, and it's just that I forgot to port the REV01 chunks set. Although I never would've noticed the MZ thing if it weren't for you guys.

Anyway, I already fixed that, as well the Level Select misorder. The new (and 2nd) revision is in the first post.

8. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

Gotta ask, are you planning on importing Rogue into Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. Really enjoyed playing this.

9. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    Priorities are draining myself a little bit now, so don't expect those things for a while. Btw, I'm glad you liked it!