Ristar Tile Ripping

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Overbound, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I'm trying to rip tiles from Ristar and I have very little technical know how when it comes to hacking. I'm using Drx's Feel and ripping tiles using it. It works well with the exception of the background layers which don't seem to be accessible using Feel. Emulators don't seem to be an option either because 1. Only megasis supports turning off layers (I think) and it crashes on my machine, and 2. there are some sort of distortion effects used on most Ristar backgrounds and I don't want the effect to distort the images I would rip. So is there a good method for ripping the backgrounds?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Gens Kmod lets you disable layers.

Otherwise you can copy the art/mappings to a S1 savestate, and use SonED1 to view and rip. (I think Ristar uses the same formats as S1, but I'm not sure....)

3. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    <!--quoteo(post=531578:date=Nov 19 2010, 09:59 AM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Nov 19 2010, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=531578">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Otherwise you can copy the art/mappings to a S1 savestate, and use SonED1 to view and rip. (I think Ristar uses the same formats as S1, but I'm not sure....)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know anything about hacking I don't have any idea how to do that. Gens Kmod might be helpful thanks, but I'd still like an option without the effects used in game.

4. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    SonMapEd will allow you to rip the tiles individually for any game. Not just Sonic games. As long as it's uncompressed art, or can be uncompressed by SonMapEd or an external decompression program if it's a custom compression. Though, I'd probably have to check to be sure, I think Ristar probably would easily decompress in SonMapEd due to it's connections with the Sonic game engine but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Though since you don't know much about hacking (which is cool. I'll be honest, I'm pretty bad at it for certain things) , the Gens Kmod route (or Gens G/S, whichever you prefer.) is the way for you to go. Besides, I prefer that route myself because SonMapEd has a bad habit of crashing for non-Sonic games if it doesn't like a certain offset.

5. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I downloaded SonMapEd and couldn't get it to load tiles properly. Someone with more Knowles might be able to but I could not. So I'm fine with going to Gens route I downloaded Gens/GS which should work fine.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    SonMapED is not for level art...

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    You can use Feel2 (https://github.com/drx/Feel2) to rip backgrounds.

<a href="http://imgur.com/A5Adf.png" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://I.imgur.com/n8QoQ.png" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://I.imgur.com/rBB3S.png" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Keep in mind this is very much a work in progress, I can't guarantee it will work on your platform. It's by far not ready for a release, but I don't have time right now to prepare it for one. Also it's a gigantic memory hog, you need on the order of 2GB of RAM to run it at the moment.

If you have trouble downloading or running it, let me know.

Once again this is not a final product so not everything is as it's supposed to be in the end.

PS it works with Sonic 1 ASM projects :)