don't click here

(retro) Sonic XG - DEMO - UPDATED 15th august

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sir Euan, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To be honest, I liked that old demo 5 thingi, wich I had laying around on the HDD.

Anyway it's great.

Greets
    Oerg

2. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    http://www.iameuangallacher.co.uk
    Um, read the readme you idiot alt+enter = full screen

Also, no it's not, its the song that the makers of SRB2 copied the tune from for the SRB2 theme ;D.

3. FSX

FSX

Retro Sonic XG. Two of the best Sonic fangames ever, now as one. Really, I would prefer the player sprites from SXG, but 8-direction rotation selectable.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I would prefer that Sonic XG stays separate, because I like it more than Retro Sonic, but let's see what happens.

Also, are you still looking for some music artists? Once you tell me the format you're going to stick to I may be able to make something. My suggestion stands, go for MOD or (even better) XM support.

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    He said "stretched" full screen. Full screen mode has a huge border around the actual game screen, so he was asking if you intended to have alternate resolutions so players could run it to fit their screen without borders.

6. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    Stretching the window causes horrid slowdown, and on my computer and every thing I've tested it on full screen goes full 320x240 resolution. Maybe your monitor doesn't support that, but theres nowt I can do about that.

7. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix

Absolutely incredible work. I've never seen a fan game of such high quality.
    Not sure if you're really looking for bug reports yet, but I had some time, so I figured I'd write down the stuff I ran into, in case you are. I'll try not to bring up ones that have already been touched on here, unless I have something to add.
    Actual bugs:
    - In regards to knuckles getting stuck in his climbing animation, it's happened to me after getting hit by enemies at times, too. Also, as mentioned, it happens in the pipe after Fang, or if you climb the right side of the screen right after beating Fang, before the camera moves. Whichever the cause, climbing a wall and jumping off it usually fixes the animation for me.
    - The special stage crashes the game when the screen turns white after entering the ring on my XP virtual machine, but works fine in Vista.
    - Knuckles loses his ability to climb when I climb up to the ceiling on the left walls toward the beginning of Act 1. I haven't tried it other places, but it happens pretty consistently here. (sometimes temporary, sometimes not - try it on the left wall before falling down to Fang) This doesn't seem to happen with right-side walls (though some right-side walls, you fall when you reach the ceiling)
    - One of the restart-point posts in Act 3 consistently didn't animate for me, playing as knuckles or tails.
    - The issue with the level music restarting while playing the End of Act music only seems to occur for Act 1 while playing knuckles (at least, that's my experience of it)
    - Resetting the game at the end of Act 1 erased the saved games. Might be better to save backups in the final version.

Minor gameplay/cosmetic issues: (you probably know about most of these)
    - lots of flickering (sidebar, sprites at various times, particularly knuckles after finishing Act 1)
    - the way knuckles hops up after a climbing a wall makes it hard to get onto the ledge (relative to S3&K)
    - characters don't move with the spikes that come sideways in and out of the walls when they are standing on them. This allows characters to easily just fall onto the sideways spikes and die.
    - after the doomsday mission, when sonic is falling, and the birds appear, it looks weird, as sonic seems to be falling straight down until the birds show up
    - when clicking outside of the application, the music stops, but the game doesn't pause
    - hitting alt pauses the game, but not the music (it's probably looking for a Context Menu Strip - that may just be an issue with Fusion, I don't know, I've never used it)
    - timer doesn't stop after defeating Robotnik, only after hitting the button on the egg
    - The spikes that smash downward don't seem to hurt if jumped into
    - some spots that seem like vertical walls, characters try to run up, as though they were curved. Doesn't effect gameplay at all, just feels a little weird.
    All in all, this thing's pretty solid for a demo. Props to you.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, so I think it's finally time I make my input a bit more frequent. Euan is choosing the music to use, and I'm producing it. Here's what I've got so far.

(screenshots provided for contrast)

Final Fall:
    [​IMG]

Palm Paradiso:
    [​IMG]

Desert Dash:
    [​IMG]

Cosmic Chasm:
    [​IMG]

You'll recognize the first two, but the other two are new. The eventual plan is also to add some sort of looping support to the music engine of the game, so an ogg could be given a specified start, end, and loop point (similar to how SRB2 does it). This would also be a feature of the RSDK, so anyone developing for the engine would be able to do the same thing.

I also intend to make higher quality versions of the existing boss tunes and such.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I like the first three, but I'm not sure about Cosmic Chasm... It sounds to me kinda like the menus in game compilations. =|

Not saying it sounds bad in any way, though.

10. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    All four are awesome, especially Palm Paradiso and Desert Dash. It's a pleasure to the ears.

Any way you could post the boss music please?

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    'Desert Dash' is the best thing you made since 'Crimson Festival'. Top stuff.

Euan's game combined with Tweaker's music = made of gold and win.

13. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I'm not really liking Desert Dash... It's a good song, but it just doesn't seem like it'd fit a desert level. I'm not too particularly fond of the instruments used either.

14. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Quoted for truth. The break silence mix is probably usable for at least one level in XG, but not Desert Dash.

15. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    That song (DDZ) is a bit of a tradition in SXG, if you were from SFGHQ from a few years ago it'd be nice and familiar.

16. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    That music is fantastic, Palm Paradiso and Desert Dash have a very "Chaotix" feel to them. Cosmic Chasm definately sounds like a Sonic Gems Collection or Sonic Mega Collection main theme remix or something, but I really like it. I could just pick it up and listen to it at anytime, but it really suits the stage - it sounds like it belongs in a classic Sonic game. Playing through Final Fall in the demo, I know the song fits quite well, but I'm curious as to what a Doomsday remix would sound like in the same exact style? Same instruments, same tempo, same feel. I know it was used in the intro stage, but we could really do without the MegaMan tunes in this game, in my opinion. =P

I'm really glad you guys have decided to switch to the Retro Sonic engine as well, it's much more accurate.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I totally misread the above post.

I HAD A LONG NIGHT, BLOW ME!

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Cosmic Chasm... I recognize this one, despite never having touched the relevant game. Mushihimesama, isn't it?

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Geez, I've used that same four chord motif in of intro for all of the songs for my "Sonic Chaos Genesis" songs. If you'd be interested in me providing some of those for your analysis, I have them in a very simplistic MIDI form. I can probably hook you up with some better versions at some point if you like them.

20. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    Those tunes sound very interesting would love to check them out. aim me at "zonicspiketk" or msn at sir_euan<at>hotmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.