don't click here

Retro Channel for Linux

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mad Echidna, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    So, is there a way to get the plugins on the Linux version of Gens GS? Because the windows version crashes in WINE.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You'd have to ask Cinossu to build the plug-in for Linux, I think... Was any source code released?

3. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Aw shit.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Gens is released under the GPL. Just because his network thing is a plug-in, doesn't mean it's immune to the license. That's what LGPL was designed for. Therefore, just request the source code from him and someone can do a linux build. He's required to release it, so if he refuses you can take him to court for it. That's just how the law works, I would consider myself an expert on the topic having played the entire Ace Attorney series.

I am interested in the source too, it's been a long time since I built Gens/GS on Mac OS X. After Kega came out, there was no reason to do it. Let me know if you need help, we'll get back at him for what he did. :argh:

Thanks in advance.

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    MDP plug-ins aren't bound to the GPL, though. Gerbil designed them so they are not bound by it.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Actually, dear, MDP plugins have their own licenses. This is set to private, and I'm not releasing it. I'll make a linux build at a later date, don't worry.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Gens/GS's MDP plugin interface is not part of the Gens core code. I designed it explicitly for this purpose.

For the record, the MDP implementation in the plugin consists of nothing more than a bunch of header files. As of right now, all the MDP header files are LGPL, except for the rendering plugin header. (I don't think I'll change that anytime soon, since there's no point in proprietary rendering plugins.) Hence, the only thing Marc would have to provide is a copy of the MDP header files if he modified them.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked the header files. They have GPL-2 headers. I could've sworn I changed all but the rendering plugin headers to LGPL, but in either case, since I created the MDP plugin interface, I can reassign the licenses to those headers. MDP 1.0.1 will have updated headers with LGPL licenses for all but the rendering plugin system.

8. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    10/10

master troll.

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Though seriously, even though you're going to do a Linux port I'm guessing there's a 0% chance you're going to do an OS X port. So please consider releasing the source anyway. Or send it to someone you trust who can do a port.

It was a big let-down this morning when I downloaded the plug-in only to find a DLL. I ended up using Kega because it wasn't worth rebooting into Windows.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Gens/GS doesn't even run on OS X natively, and Gens/GS II, which does, is still in its early development stages, so you'd have to wait for OS X support anyway.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I have an OS X system, so I could possibly do an OS X build later on. (Also, we need to figure out why the DLL crashes occasionally. It doesn't work on Gens/GS r7+ at all, and some people have reported crashes when they close the emulator.)

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Yes it does. I've still got the old builds of r4 and r5.2 that I did for OS X, although I gave up after that point because I didn't care anymore when Kega came out. They link against GTK, but that doesn't mean they aren't native.

Now that I have reason to, I've been working to build r7, but as usual it seems some changes will need to be made to get it working again.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    As an FYi, the upcoming Gens/GS II will have a native non-X11 build on Mac OS X. I have the current version from git running on a Power Mac G4 MDD (dual 1.25 GHz). Note that the first release won't actually run on PowerPC, since the CPU cores are still written in x86 assembly. (They're not wired up yet, which is why I can do testing on big-endian and 64-bit machines right now.)

14. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I've had to use Parallels Desktop to play, and it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Worth it though.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    When I made this thread I didn't realize that plugins were platform specific, so now that Gerbilsoft explained it to me on IRC, this whole thread is pretty stupid. I'd like to suggest that the Gens/GS discussion be moved to the appropriate thread and the rest of this thread be trashed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.