don't click here

Replacing Videos in Sonic CD Remake

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hendricks266, Jul 25, 2012.

1. I am trying to replace the videos from the new Sonic CD remake (Steam PC version) for two reasons:

1. Missing Japanese vocals (understandable) and ringtone-quality instrumental replacements.
    2. The video was cropped to fit 16:9 widescreen instead of giving the whole frame.

Using the best quality videos from the Sonic CD DVD project as a source, I have the following command line set up to encode the video: (the grammar filter uppercased the "-I")

Code (Text):
    1. ffmpeg -I "soniccd_op_640x448_Unrestricted 1pass lossless_29.970fps_all audio.avi" -vb 3000k -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis -aq 10 -ar 48000 -map 0:1 -map 0:0 -map 0:3 "Opening.ogv"
    This is set to match the formats and stream mappings of the videos provided with the game. Unfortunately, when I start a new game, it simply skips the video and places me straight in PPZ1.

Has anyone had any luck with doing something like this? I've seen a tutorial for replacing the JP audio stream (hence the 48 KHz parameter) but I want a complete replacement. Hopefully the game does not reject altered videos.

I'm only worried about the Opening right now because the ending videos will take far more than a simple video encode. If my project moves forward, I will likely have to use an AviSynth script to shrink the video, add the credits, and add the good/bad ending variations.

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Have you any luck on savestates for this version? I haven't tried video for mine (iOS) yet. We should put together something for hacking the remake, maybe a main thread... including any others if they have luck.

Please keep posting if you make progress. I know that I'm at least interested.

3. Considering Taxman comes to this site fairly frequently, would his helping in a hacking thread, if he chooses to do so, be breaking any "rules" between himself and Sega? I mean, considering he built the engine and everything and licensed it for them to use.

I'm just thinking that putting up a thread like that would either progress insanely quickly due to having direct contact with the developer of the game being hacked, or (if Taxman's anything like me) drive him completely nuts knowing that he can help out immensely but is not allowed to do so due to a contract or something. Kind of like watching a younger sibling struggle through an insanely easy part of a game, and just wanting to take the controller and help them through it.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I did attempt to ask him via the Sonic CD 2011 thread in Gen. Discussion regarding this, and got no reply. I did ask if doing this was crossing any lines or not, to which he did not reply.

While I take the silence, as... No, I'm not assisting in this... I also believe that if this was something he absolutely did NOT want done, he would said as much. Plus, if anything like this was something to worry about... as far as SEGA and legal action is concerned... I imagine it highly likely that Retro would've been canned a long time ago... or this year, especially considering the huge amount of tinkering done to Generations.

I suggest we just leave Taxman alone and just carry on, and if he wants to/is allowed to assist us, he will. otherwise, he won't. AND, if he or others feel that it shouldn't be done, we will cease.

Seems simple enough to me. Though I imagine this may spark a new debate in the immediate future.