Replacing Sega CD Model 1 Fuse

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by OKei, Jul 30, 2012.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    So my Sega CD Model 1 doesn't power on anymore and the most likely problem is the ruined fuse inside. I opened the thing last night, and wow it's a complex, thrown-together orgy piece of hardware mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blown fuse is the yellow-green colored piece shown in the circuit board sticking out, right? What is the amp and voltage of the fuse that I need to replace?

EDIT: Another image added.
    EDIT 2: Now fixed! See below.

2. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Judging from your pictures (I'm too lazy to take my Model 2 apart right now) it looks like a 12 V, 2 amp fuse - I replaced the one in my Model 2 with a 200 V 2A fuse and I haven't had any problems yet — although if your fuse did blow, there's certainly something wrong that shouldn't be. You probably won't be able to find such a fuse in that form factor, so I'd just solder some wires in the hole for the fuse and connect that to one of those 'barrel' style fuse holders you can mount on your case to allow you to replace it without opening your Sega CD up.

If you could get a better close-up picture of the lettering on the fuse, that'd be great, as it's most likely got it written on there.

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    http://console5.com/store/parts/fuses/fuse-125v-2-5a-pico.html

I found what I needed. I just bought two of those fuses from that site, and it was dirt cheap, and delivery is expected by this Wednesday. Hope for the best.

4. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    IT WORKS. IT FINALLY WORKS!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I finally replaced the fuse inside my Sega CD Model 1. It currently works like a charm now. Thanks for the help and everyone. And a endless-special thanks to my dear dad. *love hugs him*

Now what Sega Mega CD games should I play on the thing?

5. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Sonic CD
    Snatcher
    Final Fight CD
    Flashback: The Quest For Identity (Just for the sake of cutscenes and funny bad voice overs)
    Keio Flying Squadron

That's all the games I'd recommend for the system. There's plenty more popular shmups and RPGs available for it, like Lunar and Robo Aleste, but I'm not personally a big enough fan of them to recommend them.

6. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    If you haven't already got a Megadrive copy, pick up EWJ Special Edition if you are lucky enough- has more levels, REDBOOK music and other goodies~

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Keio Flying Squadron is like, the best game on the system.