don't click here

RELIABLE Image hosting, plz? D:

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Herm the Germ, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Guys, I could use some help once more and you guys are pretty much there best there is with that sorta stuff.

Simply put, for something I am doing on a different forum, I need to embed a LOT of pictures (270 or so at present, with new ones being churned out ever so often). Some of them are animated and some of those are quite heavy (meaning sized over 1 MB or so).

I've tried a lot of image hosts for this project.

At first, I used minus.com, which works well enough, but it turns out some people can't see pictures from there for no apparent reason.

So I switched to imagehost.org, which worked very much in my favor for the most part, until recently (more on that later). Only problem was that animated gifs couldn't be larger than a Megabyte in size, but, that's what I relied upon freeimagehosting.net and hostfile.org for.

Recently, hostfile failed in the image (and general file) hosting regard for no apparent reason whatosever. No problem, I thought, still got freeimagehosting. But those servers are extreeeeeeemely slow, which obviosuly is kinda not favorable given the size of the .gif's.

Now, apparently, imagehost.org changed all their image-embed URLs to redirect to a HTML-page with new tags for the image. Which is complete bullshit, of course, as that disables the ability to actually embed those images.

Does anyone of you geniuses here know a more reliable, free image host that doesn't randomly generate problems like this? D:

2. Tried ImageShack?

http://imageshack.us/

Best site I have hosted pictures on. Create a free account and upload as many pics as you want.

I don't know if they have any limits, but so far I haven't had any problems.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Imageshack is the best option. It has some bizarre ideas about direct linking, but you can get it to shut up with a Greasemonkey script or two.

There's things like photobucket (which seems to get more bloated as time goes on) and imgur. Imageshack tends to win because you don't need to sign up and it's generally quite reliable. It deletes images that haven't been viewed within a year, as opposed to imgur that kills things after a couple of months IIRC.

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Hm, haven't used that place in years; it had kinda gone shitty back then, so, I'unno. I guess I could give it another spin I suppose, though I don't particularly like the idea of having to sign up just to do stuff on there.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, thanks, you two. Gee, where are my manners? D:

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    People on NeoGAF tend to either use imgur.com or abload.de, from what I've noticed. I can't say as I use either, though; I use FileDen (at Tweaker's suggestion, although to be fair, this was back in 2006). It's okay, I guess; the nagging to sign up for a thousand different things whenever you log in is pretty much the worst of it, and so long as you use AdBlock and noscript (although you'll need a special script for the latter for FileDen's file browser to work), you should be okay.

6. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    imgur is a solid choice and used by the people at Something Awful. Though if your image isn't viewed at least once every 6 months there is a chance it'll get blown away to make room for new uploads.

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Hm, okay then. Thanks for the further suggestions, guys, I'll be considering them as I go along. C:

EDIT: Looks like Imageshack doesn't like animated .gifs, so, f*ck. D:

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I've never had any trouble with animated gifs on Imageshack. You just need to make sure that the resize option on the upload page is turned off.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    There is also http://yourimg.in/

It's very to-the-point.

They don't seem to check or remove any uploaded files and it doesn't piss about, so you can upload what you want (well, the supported file types of course).

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Well, it didn't work for me and I never put any resizing options in the first place, so, weird. D:

THANK YOU, that seems to be just about perfect for my purposes! =D

11. Flygon

Flygon

I know you've got your sights set on a solution already, but I feel the necessity in pointing out Dropbox. It's probably the best service I've used for hosting pretty much any material I need, image or not. But it works fantastically for images, regardless.

It does have a filesize limit, but you can have that increased by having someone refer you to the service, and by referring people to the service. Give us extra free space please! :v:

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Imageshack recently cut support for animated GIFs, yes. Besides, it's known to randomly delete images from time to time, so it's not advised to store anything important on it. Despite of this, it's still the host I always use for a few reasons. And yes, it's trivial to get the real direct link to images even without scripts.

I'd second Flygon's suggestion, but stay away from the client they will try to force you to download, and use the web uploader only.

Other alternatives include buying webspace on some server, for example I'm tempted to get additional 10GB for 0.99€, but I'm not even sure if I actually NEED that...

13. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I'd suggest Picasa, as if you already have a Google Account, you can get on it with no problems. I've got stuff in my albums dating way back to 2009 still uploaded. You've got 1 GB of image space without upgrading, which, even for 1 MB animated gifs, should be more than enough for what you're looking for. Hell, they'll even take images up to 20 MB and less than 50 megapixels, and photos up to 800x800 (and videos up to 15 minutes) don't even count towards the storage space, so if your gifs are at most 800x800, you've pretty much got all the space you could ever want.

But hey, if you don't like Google, fine with me.

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    @"Flygon": Might be useful later down the road for other big, non-image stuff, thanks. owo

@"Nineko": I would probably do the web space thing if I had even that kind of money available. But then, it might be a bit much for what I'm doing, so, eh xD; Thanks for the suggestion, regardless owo

@CH: Yeah, one of those guys who dun like Google THAT much -- thanks, regardless.

Also, figures, NOW imagehost brings all of my embedded images to life.
    Meh, still gonna use a different host for future images. : B

Again, thanks, guys C:

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    If you are really big on hosting images, you should look into buying your own webspace. Anything you pay for is liable to allow you to hotlink any millions of images you can think of without any restrictions whatsoever, and it's not going away unless you stop funding it. I've never used any image hosting service due to my array of available webspace.