don't click here

Recommend me some headphones

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Overlord, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Falk

Falk

Telling someone to avoid beats is like telling someone to avoid kissing an ebola patient. I know you mean well but it's kinda 'duuuuuh'.

2. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Well yes, but I was expecting them to be, I don't know, at least on par with $50 headphones and they're not even that. :/

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    No joke, even the most expensive beats are actively worse than cheap $15 bargain shit.

I don't know the Sennheiser HD201, but I can totally vouch for HD202. If the HD201s are even half as good, then you're getting a damn good product for the money. The cabling on Sennheiser's cheaper products isn't the most reliable, though, so make sure to be careful with 'em, but other than that they're definitely more than satisfactory at that price range.

Personally I use Audio-Technica's ATH-M50 headphones. I know it's more expensive than you're looking for right now, but if you ever find yourself looking to upgrade even further, they're frequently agreed to be the best under $200.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I'm aware that Beats are just overpriced tat that sell purely on a brand name. Just what you'd expect Apple to pay $3 billion for. =P

Sennheiser has come up a few times in the thread, so I've just thrown an order into Amazon for the earbuds and the headset SS linked - both in the sort of price range I was looking at and both having solid reviews. Thanks for the assistance, guys!

5. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
  6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Been using pair of Philips HP250 for about a decade now. Excellent freq range, actually can play higher end, longass cable so I can freely move around.
    Long phased out stuff though...
    I am now considering replacing them, but I won't buy anything without hearing them first.

I'm in same boat with those earbuds, they don't stay in and they are also incredibly uncomfortable... plus they get so dirty from the ear gunk.....

7. Nova

Nova

Rather than specific models, you'll be on your way to happy listening with any of the following brands 90% of the time:

• Sennheiser
    • Bose
    • Sony
    • Philips
    • Shure
    And if you want to avoid shitty, overpriced 'form over function' crap, ignore the following brands:

• Skullcandy
    • Beats
    • Apple
    • JVC (Some are good, some are awful - too hit and miss by far)

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    While Bose isn't a bad brand by any means, they're not really a good value. If you need noise cancellation, Bose is best-in-class, but if you don't, pretty much any other brand in this list will give better bang for your buck.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    They've arrived. The earbuds are great - a little more bass-y than I'm used to, but they're fine. As for the headphones, I like the ear-seal thing but they're noticibly more bass-y than the buds - I'm sure I'll adjust to it, just something of a shock.

10. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    I'm getting some Senal SMH-1000 soon, might take a few weeks to arrive. Basically a clone of Sony's MDR6, but with a removable jack. I don't have much experience with "studio" grade headphones, wonder how it'll go!