don't click here

Recommend a Video Card?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jay T., May 23, 2012.

1. winterhell

winterhell

If you can afford it go for GeForce GTX 660 or 660 Ti. Awesome bang for the buck I have 660 Ti and I'm maxing Generations at 2560x1440.

2. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Phew, okay. Back from class. Thanks for responding.

@Meat Miracle: Okay, I'll change to the fan. As for the PSU, I was pretty much going by Overlord and HeartAttack's posts. I do want to keep using this computer for as long as possible, and there is always that possibility I may have to change parts for better ones, so may be good to get a slightly higher wattage. As for the rail, well, HeartAttack pretty much explains it.

@360 I don't see the card on Newegg, but I do see it on Amazon. Although, looks like they only have used video cards. I personally would rather get a new video card. I dunno how good used ones are and I kind of don't want to risk it. I'm guessing the card you suggested is quite an old model, right?

@Ultima Alright. I'll keep those in mind.

@Winterhell Quite expensive cards, but we'll see. For now, I'll try to get a cheaper, but still powerful one.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    @Jay T. Dude. I was joking. For the love of God don't actually buy a Voodoo 3. It's a card from 1998. I thought the references to Quake 2/3 would be enough of a giveaway. I even said "the upcoming" Quake 3; a game from 1999. You get an old 3Dfx card and you won't be able to run anything dude. It's 15 years old. I was trying to make everyone laugh and ultimately it appears I failed. On a serious note just get a high-end Nvidia card. Choose the highest priced GeForce card you can afford and you should be set.

4. Jay T.

Jay T.

I'm not too familiar with the Quake series other than the name and it's a FPS (which I'm not into, honestly). Sorry. XP
    But yeah, probably the best idea. I'll just save up as much I can and get a good one. I believe the recommended card for something like Generations is a GTX 460, so I can probably get one in the 500 series, if I don't feel like saving up for the 600s. Thanks!

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I have a 3570k that I use as a server/seedbox with 5 hdds + 2 dvds + 1 ssd, and a radeon 6950, and my corsair hx520w is never even at HALF load, unless I set the 6950 to 6970 mode/speeds/voltages, and run furmark and linpack at the same time.

PSU usages are seriously overestimated nowadays. As long as you get a quality PSU (google for some tests), that is rated for 80plus bronze at the very least, you'll have no problems with the setup you are planning even with a 400-500w PSU. You'd only need higher if you were considering SLI/Crossfire, but even thats redundant because by the time you need more gpu power, single cards will be 2-3x ahead of what you can buy today.

I've been using mostly Radeons for the past ten years, and this is complete and total bullshit. I've had some of my cards survive hazardous conditions without breaking a sweat that would've made Geforce cards burn down (as many have been documented to do so, sometimes caused by nvidias own drivers, sometimes with stable drivers just on their own). See if you can run a benchmark in any game with a Geforce 560 with only a passive Accelero S1 heatsink on it and no fan; the old first gen 5850 I used to have could do that without breaking a sweat. It hit as high as 130c on the VRMs, and then clocked the card down until temperatures were low enough - Geforce cards would spontaneously combust on the spot if you've tried this with them.

Yes, Radeon drivers do have some stupid issues, but Geforce cards have plenty of their own share of idiocies. The driver "stopped working and has recovered" almost every day is one such problem.

6. Jay T.

Jay T.

Kind of forgot there was a debate about AMD vs nVidia...I think. Seems like most of the time, it boils down to preferences. I do know the on board card on my motherboard uses nVidia.

I went through various sites like Tom's Hardware forums, Newegg, and various other forums, and it seems like for under $200 (minus taxes), AMD Radeon seems to be the most popular. Specifically, the HD 7850. Well, I don't have the money just yet, and I probably won't buy this stuff till the end of the month. What do you guys think? I know what Ultima said, but I'm curious to hear from more.

Looks like the GeForce GTX 660 does beat it, going by this chart below, although it does cost a little bit more.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm terrible with video cards, but I am debating on replacing mine. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to waste any.

I was considering buying two GeForce GTX 680's. Right now I have two GeForce GTX 560's in my computer. Would it be wiser to just buy one and SLI it to one of my 560's? Or would the 560 drop it down in performance. Also, I have room for three video cards. Would it be even wiser to buy two 680's and then sli one of the 560's with that? I really am not one to talk about video cards...

8. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have had best experience with Radeons myself, and my experiences have been pretty much like what Meat Miracle described.

One thing I saf here is that when you get a long (near) full length card I suggest you add someting to support it on the end, I have seen many cards that have died from PCB flexing from their weight...

9. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Just sharing my experience, as I said, I've had nothing but problems with them and I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with Radeon cards, be them old ATi or new AMD ones. I'm not going to be buying any in future - but maybe I've just been unlucky. For the record, I've never had an nVidia card go above 80 degrees C (and have in fact never had a problem with them driver-wise either, unlike my current computer which is an absolute disaster running anything except catalyst 11.5).

Unless you're running at some ridiculous resolutions or 3d or something, one 560 should be enough for most of today's games at absolute max. 2 is definitely enough - you won't see much (if any) of a performance difference in upgrading to two 680's. If you are having problems with performance in games, it's very likely that your GPUs are NOT your bottleneck.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    My video cards are the only thing I haven't upgraded, so I'm assuming they're the problem. Have an 8 core with 16 gigs of ram that I just bought 2 or 3 months ago.

EDIT: Also, I have three monitors. Wouldn't I require two cards with Nvidia?

11. winterhell

winterhell

First you can't SLI different models. Both cards need to be GTX 680, but could be different brands.
    Second, I'd wait another couple of months and get GTX 780. Its going to have a better performance per watt & $ and it may be a better solution than 2x680.

12. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Ah, fair enough. Triple monitors changes things - do you play games across all three as well? I imagine that is pretty fucking sweet!

What games do you have trouble running, out of pure curiosity? And I agree- wait for the 780s.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    The only thing that doesn't run well is Skyrim. But then again, it wasn't designed to run on three screens.

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    iirc the geforce 6xx series can drive 3 monitors on a single card. I might be wrong though. I recall that they actually mentioned it as a feature when the series came out.
    Radeons though, they can definitely drive fuck tons of monitors on one card, ever since the 6xxx series. 5xxx could only run max 3 of them except for that special eyefinity card. 6xxx and above can run 6 of them. However, you'll likely need Displayport adapters (which are pretty expensive, but still not as expensive as an entire new card), or if your monitors all can do displayport 1.2, you can daisy chain them.

Is it onboard (or mobile)?

15. Midway the Echidna

Midway the Echidna

Chicago, IL
    Java Arkanoid, codingcabana.net (in-progress)
    Personally, I'm very happy with my Radeon HD 7770. Its power consumption is very low, I can still run Sonic Generations in 1080p at 60fps, and I only paid $135 for it back in August. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200, though given the rate at which GPU technology grows. It's better to be 2 years behind the cutting edge of technology than to break the back to be the baddest motherfucker in the neighborhood for 2 years. SG's not a demanding game anyway. Maybe investigate the GTX 660Ti if you're clamoring for badass at less than $250

My Graphics Card

Enough Badass for 1 Monitor

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I run my 3 monitors on my Nvidia GTX590. The reason Skyrim runs badly is because, well, the engine is shit. I can play Crysis 2, Max Payne 3, and many more triple A titles in Surround mode (a couple with 3D to boot!) at a very steady framerate but Skyrim has always played badly on one monitor when modded, and barely works on three when unmodded. Skyrim is not, and never will be a good benchmark. I recorded this video of me playing Generations, you can see how well it plays - the one Skyrim doesn't like.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_A-dqvUxoQ[/youtube]

However, Dead End Thrills (who takes them bitching screenshots, his Skyrim ones are stunning) said once the 690 made a massive improvement on his Skyrim performance.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I just picked up two of those. I can't wait.

18. Jay T.

Jay T.

Sorry for bumping this topic after so long. I still haven't gotten the parts yet due to, well, distractions and all that, but I think it's time I go ahead and get it over with. Money shouldn't be an issue, and I think it's time I just get the parts. Plus, I got a bit of a PC related issue. I'll explain in a little.

I changed up a bit. I'm still getting the Corsair GS 600 PSU, but I'm thinking of switching up to the GTX 650. It might be just me, but it seems like the GeForce brand is usually considered the better one of the two (Radeon 7770) when it comes to gamers. Or at least, the more used. I could be wrong, or maybe it all varies from person to person. I did talk to a friend of mine recently and he's been having no trouble with his GTX 660. So...maybe? Though, looking at the price difference, I'll probably order the card from Amazon and the PSU from NewEgg. I have some money on Amazon, and it can cover the price of the video card alone, so it'll be a bit cheaper for me.

I don't think I'm getting the Hyper 212 Evo fan. My CPU's temperature is usually okay, and I have no plans of overclocking at the moment, so there's not much of a point of getting one, right? Plus my CPU did come with a cooler, and AMD fans are usually pretty good, aren't they?

I do however need a 120mm rear case fan. For whatever reason just now, when I turn on the computer or take it out of Sleep mode, the fan in the back may make some kind of loud, virbrating, whirring noise. I have to turn off the computer then turn it back on to stop it. Dunno why it's doing that. Anyone got any recommendations?

19. winterhell

winterhell

GTX 650 and up would be a wise choice right now, considering how nVidia released today Shadow Play, their game recording software. It uses the hardware h264(or is is more appropriate to say x264?) encoder. They claim you can record 1080p 60fps with 5-10% performance impact, and it wont kill your hard drive as it records at up to 50mbps (7 MB/sec).

20. The GTX 650 is shit, don't get it. Grab a 7790 instead (~$105) or the 7850.