don't click here

Rare Sonic CD art

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SMpai, Aug 29, 2019.

1. SMpai

SMpai

Not sure if this one is unseen like the others butttt here’s some sonic CD stuff too

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    @SMpai Again, thanks for sharing! Although any context would be nice, too. Is this also Ohshima's?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. Powpuck

Powpuck

This feels vaguely familiar, like it was put up by Hisashi Eguchi onto his twitter. I mean, it does look like the intro where Sonic uses a mountain to build momentum to launch himself to Little Planet.

The speedometer is a cute touch I kinda wish made it in.

4. SMpai

SMpai

Yes this also is Ohshima sans art, I sadly do not have context but I believe it was used for making of the intro movie

5. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Oshima had shared this on his Twitter a while back and said that it was an early Special Stage concept for Sonic CD.

• List
  6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just browsed through all his tweeted pics (and Sonic CD dev docs in the wiki) and couldn't find it. Are you sure?
    EDIT: Found them, see below.

7. SMpai

SMpai

I thought I had seen this one before somewhere that’s why I just wrote rare but I don’t see it on his twitter, could you send a link? Thank you

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Apslup

Apslup

Feelin' Fine. Member
    Some of this art (Sonic rolling down the hill and leaping forward specifically) looks quite similar to the shots from the opening cutscene, so maybe they could be connected? I don't know.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. Pengi

Pengi

They both look like "Track & Field" style mini-games. Doesn't seem like there'd be enough "meat" on them to be full Special Stages. Then again, maybe that's why they were abandoned.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Just checking, but have people made the connection between that concept art and these unused sprites?
    [​IMG]
    The second sprite has the exact same pose as the leaping pic in that concept art, which I feel makes it clear they were going to be used for that sequence. I think the most likely explanation is that it was going to be a pseudo-3d sequence in one of the levels ala the vertical ramps in PP1. Or perhaps it evolved into said ramps, after they opted to simplify it.

Edit: Forgot about this:
    Come to think of it, these sprites seem to be more in line with the style of the special stage sprites, rather than the in-level sprites.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  12. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    That's an excellent observation Spikeball. They're located in the special stage data file, at that.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    Why do I get the feeling this will be included in a future Sonic game down the line? Is it just me, or is everyone else getting that feeling too?

14. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I remember seeing a very early preview screenshot where there Special Stage looked like a multi-layered rotating stage, more like Sonic 1's, rather than the UFO game we got.

Makes sense there would have been a sprite for him to transition between layers, maybe it was him jumping between them like that.

Edit: Bing-bang-bong.

[​IMG]

15. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    That gauge in the upper right sure looks suspiciously similar to the ones from the Ohshima art.

With the multiple layers and possible concept of Sonic flying 'through' them, the Chaotix Bonus Stage immediately comes to mind... a game that has more than few connections to Sonic CD.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Bonus_Stage_(Chaotix)

16. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Sorry for being slightly off topic but did anyone back up all the art Ohshima-san posted? He had posted a bunch of early designs for Burning Rangers at one point but I believe they got deleted, and I’ve been searching for them ever since...

17. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Yes, I did, back when it when they were first posted. I also saved the Eguchi Hisashi tweets, which had lots of great Sonic CD art. I also 'printed' each tweet to PDF to save its context. I just threw it up on my server: http://sudden-desu.net/_gomi/sonic_tweet_backup/

Edit: er, sorry, I just saw that you were looking for the Burning Rangers tweets. I didn't save those, only the Sonic related stuff.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Ryoga, still doing things the old way. <3

19. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    So my brain just put 2 and 2 together, and I just realized something about this unused idea:
    [​IMG]

Where have I seen this before...
    [​IMG]

Ohhh yeah!

Considering how early the Toei animation was made (namely with the presence of the R2 animation and the opening video existing even in the Yuusei proto), I would consider it pretty likely that this was inspired by Ohshima's concept, either as a planned gameplay mechanic or just a 'cool idea' to animate.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. 19XX

19XX

Yeah, I think that curled up Sonic was a placeholder sprite. It was more like that Chaotix bonus stage.